Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Default Forehand versus Backhand

OK I finally broke down and am trying to learn forehand throws. I got some pointers from a local player and practiced in a field for an hour....I was surprised that after one simple adjustment I was achieving some pretty rapid success. My question is are there any difference between the shots. Should I expect to be as accurate forehand as backhand etc. A local pro told me forehand is good for out of jail etc. but that very few pros throw primarily forehand...I am just wondering if you guys can give me your opinions. Seems to be very few who play forehand on tight woodsy courses is that due to the inconsistency of a forehand throw or can someone expect to really control that throw. I see a lot of forehand throwers on open courses..is it because its a more reckless throw?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I use both throws and I am more accurate with the forehand. I don't get the distance with it I can with the backhand.

I can throw it about 250 feet forehand and have friends that can go farther. I use it a lot for drives that are less than 250 feet, that are left to right instead of trying toss an anhyser, and to manuver through technical areas. I do a lot of up shots with it, especially in the woods. Also by holding the outside edge up a little on release I can make it snake around trees and other obstacles.

I think the issue is that it is a good throw to have and that it is situational. Anything you can do to help you get your disc to the basket in the fewest throws is a good thing.

If it works for you and its consistant don't worry what others say. Just throw!

Niced: (1)
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
A local pro told me forehand is good for out of jail etc. but that very few pros throw primarily forehand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Dog View Post
I use both throws and I am more accurate with the forehand. I don't get the distance with it I can with the backhand.

I think the issue is that it is a good throw to have and that it is situational. Anything you can do to help you get your disc to the basket in the fewest throws is a good thing.

If it works for you and its consistant don't worry what others say. Just throw!
I would agree with the local pro. I've watched a lot of DVDs (tourney footage and Clash series) and there are a couple of guys that seem to throw a lot of forehand shots, but the large majority of the pros seem to be backhand dominant. I would say that distance is a big reason for this. These guys are so good, and have such great control over the disc that they can throw a nice, smooth anhyzer shot backhand and probably with more D than if they through the same shot forehand. I am so amazed at the turnover the pro's get on some of their shots.

But regardless of style, I think Disc Dog said it best, "If it works for you..." then stick with it. The forehand is a great shot to have, but I stink at it, so I focus on backhand, and use the forehand only when I have no alternative.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Many people find that aiming is eaiser with forehand. So if you want to hit an early gap then a forehand shot will be easier to do that with. The issue is that for longer shots, it's more difficult to control the turn, so hitting the line you want might be more difficult and you might need to use a more overstable disc than you would with a backhand shot which can be problematic if you don't want much fade.

I personally find that my forehand approach shots (<100') tend to be really accurate. If I'm not trying to get distance (like throwing half power or less) then a forehand works well. If I try to throw much harder than that my accuracy suffers a lot. If nothing else, it's probably worth getting at least that good at it because it's super useful for "get out of trouble" shots and that level of proficiency can be attained pretty quickly.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 97
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

I was not very good initially with my BH so I tried side arm & it worked pretty well for me. Over time I have learned to throw a decent BH & can now throw farther that way. My BH is not great but I have also added a lot more shots to my arsenal such as overhead thumbers, tommys, rollers, etc. Having a side arm shot is a bonus for me. I use the side arm throw primarily for shots that go right. I've seen Avery Jenkins go to the side arm in this same situation.
I know a bunch of local players (some pro) that throw only side arm. They dont have any trouble with accuracy or length.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 46
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I learned how to play throwing thumbers and tommies, recently began figuring out backhand. But forehand has been the most difficult for some reason for me to piece together. I can't seem to stop dropping the wing down and having them turn into rollers. So on a plus side I accidentally figured out rollers.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

i like forehands for approach shots or setup for par drives where you need a lower line or you dont have any room to throw on the leftside when you need some anny. Sometimes you could stretch out or take a knee and backhand but then your making an accurate shot more difficult and if you throw forehand you could just stand just like you have a wide open shot.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some people(me) find forhand more natural, though I’ve actually never met anyone else in person who does. They all prefer backhand. Perhaps when I started, young, I didn’t have the power needed for backhand, and forehand seems more to engage my whole body, and thus I can now throw further than people who are clearly better than me, but use backhand. I think the main disadvantage on wooded courses is getting enough room for the motion-it shouldn’t be reckless, but you’re right that it can be.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 41
Niced 708 Times in 402 Posts

^Welcome to DGCR. You do know this thread is 9 years old, right?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

who cares if the post 9 years old. Throwing forehand hasn't changed that much has it?

I am a backhand dominant right handed player but I have been learning the forehand over the last year or so and am loving it. I rarely use a forehand off the tee due to lack of serious power and distance. However, I have been using the forehand for approach shots and the results have been fantastic. My go to disc is my trusty 168g Champ Banshee from 100 feet out up to 160 feet. I have learned the right amount of touch and right amount of snap to get where I need to be. Using a flick shot when I am in trouble or even to just stay away from OB lines has shaved strokes off my game.

Niced: (1)