Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Overstable mid options

So the biggest weakness in my bag currently is at mid. I'm only a couple months in so my first thought was to find that point and shoot disc, which for me was a Mako3. I've currently got bagged:
-2 star Mako3's (174 and 162)
-1 XT Mako3(174)
-Mcpro Roc3 (174)

The 174 star Mako3 is starting to beat in and leans slightly understable, the XT is beat in well and is fairly understable and the other still pretty much follows the line you put it on.

The Roc3 is probably a 6.5/10 I got from a friend to be my overstable mid but it's beat in enough that it flips up and starts to turn over with enough power. I'm not crazy about the feel of it in my hand. Here are my thoughts to fill an overstable mid slot. can anyone whose thrown more than one give me come comparative insight?
-Gator3
-Evo Method
-Deflector
-Verdict

Second question, my go-to tomahawk/thumber disc is the Lat. 64 explorer. I have some applications at my home course where being able to bomb a tomahawk being an advantage. I consistently can sit pin high on a 365' hole with the explorer. I was reading into the Lat 54 XXX and was wondering if it might be worth picking up?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 706 Times in 552 Posts

Try a champion Roc3. It won't be ridiculously overstable, but it sure as heck won't flip either. Discmania MD5 is another good option if you want legit beef.

I personally use a Lat64 Pain as an overstable mid. Again, it isn't a total meathook.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Try a champion Roc3. It won't be ridiculously overstable, but it sure as heck won't flip either. Discmania MD5 is another good option if you want legit beef.

I personally use a Lat64 Pain as an overstable mid. Again, it isn't a total meathook.
From what I was reading, the Roc3 won't be nearly overstable enough for what the OP wants.

My favorite overstable mid was the Hornet, but it's OOP now.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 62 Times in 33 Posts

It kinda depends on how overstable you want. There's the straight to fade OS mid, and then there's the utility OS mid. The verdict (and method?) is more of a straight to fade, and the gator3 (and deflector?) should be a utility OS mid.

A champion Roc3 should be a straight to fade mid as well.

I throw DD mids because of the excellent hand feel, and use the verdict in my OS mid slot. For utility OS I disc down a bit to the zone.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post

I was considering an MD5 as well, but passed on it for the Method. Unfortunately I don't have a big shop around me to get my hands on each of these.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabman View Post
It kinda depends on how overstable you want. There's the straight to fade OS mid, and then there's the utility OS mid. The verdict (and method?) is more of a straight to fade, and the gator3 (and deflector?) should be a utility OS mid.

A champion Roc3 should be a straight to fade mid as well.

I throw DD mids because of the excellent hand feel, and use the verdict in my OS mid slot. For utility OS I disc down a bit to the zone.
I'm definitely thinking more along the lines of a utility mid. My home course front 9 is pretty heavily wooded with some guarded pin options. When they're in the middle or back pins I'll often find myself having to get up and down for par. It's usually not a problem but sometimes can get a little sticky.

I actually throw a Judge as my putter and love the feel of my Trespass, so the verdict may be a good option to check out.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 141 Times in 110 Posts

Bobcat and Gilas. From Mint discs and Reptilian respectively

Bobcats are awesome straight with a drift to the left before the fade kicks in. Heartily OS too. Gilas have a meatier fade but are straighter during the flight. If you’re interested I have one you could snag. Board flat and feel awesome in the hand.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 458 Times in 281 Posts

I, too, hate the hand feel of Roc3's. I switched from a Roc3/RocX3 combo to a Verdict/Emac Truth combo a little over a year ago. I really think the Verdict is as overstable as you need for what you describe. Also, it's a great disc to buy if you don't have access to a local shop to feel the disc prior to buying. I say that because the Justice/Verdict/Emac Truth/regular Truth discs all feel very similar in the hand but give you different flight paths; so if you end up liking the Verdict and want to pair it with something either more or less beefy, it is very easy to do. Also, none of those discs are going to overlap at all with your Mako, which is good because it sounds like you really like your Makos.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

The best pairing I've found for the Mako3 is the Discmania MD4. Same feel and complimentary stable/over stable flight. Anything more over stable and you'd have to go with a small diameter mid like a Gator, Justice, MD5, Caiman, or the like.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 75 Times in 39 Posts

Z Wasp!