Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile should disc golf be an option as a sport in our public schools?

I don't know if my kids will like disc someday but if they do I'm starting leagues at they're school, I heard its offered in some regions but i think it should be an option for all schools.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to lokirising

It needs to be an option.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 256
Niced 47 Times in 26 Posts

Ball golf is not even an option at all schools. Disc golf is not even taught in most PE programs let alone recognized as a potential varsity sport.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 101
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be cool, but with the economy the way it is and other sports programs that are already in place being cut I doubt it will for a long time.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why pressure kids into choosing sports that are mainstream? I hate every sport, besides disc, wish I had it as an option when I was a kid, I'm actually ashamed of the system for not accepting such a great game.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope not. I like it as it is, when a sport gets bigger the charm is lost on profit, greed, role model crap, many conflicts. If you want to promote the sport limit it to people who already want to play and do. I have had teachers want to buy discs from me but I say I have sold out because think of how you will ruin the course for the people who already support it. Imagine schools using the course for a whole season so you can't play, I say keep the sport small as it is, keep greed and smelly propriety out of it. The problem is that people look at "frisbee" golf as something even a retard can do so they bring the bus in and we need to wait to play another day. I think the game is doing just fine as it is.

Last edited by The dude on the bike; 10-30-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to lokirising

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
Ball golf is not even an option at all schools. Disc golf is not even taught in most PE programs let alone recognized as a potential varsity sport.
Ball golf was an option at my old high school. I'm not sure if it still is since it's been like 14 years since I've been in high school.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disc is a very cost efficient sport, economy? It would be great for the economy, look at hockey, how many discs and bags could you buy for the price of one season membership!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dude on the bike View Post
I hope not. I like it as it is, when a sport gets bigger the charm is lost on profit, greed, role model crap, many conflicts. If you want to promote the sport limit it to people who already want to play and do. I have had teachers want to buy discs from me but I say I have sold out because think of how you will ruin the course for the people who already support it. Imagine schools using the course for a whole season so you can't play, I say keep the sport small as it is, keep greed and smelly propriety out of it. The problem is that people look at "frisbee" golf as something even a retard can do so they bring the bus in and we need to wait to play another day. I think the game is doing just fine as it is.
Do you wish you started disc in 1st grade or whenever you discovered it, I don't know about everyone, but o want disc golf on Sunday night tv, but at the same time I wouldn't want the competition? And schools would make they're own courses! And probably public! More course for us too!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 256
Niced 47 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth.warwas View Post
Disc is a very cost efficient sport, economy? It would be great for the economy, look at hockey, how many discs and bags could you buy for the price of one season membership!
I have had this same arguement before. I agree with you that it would be great, I am working on getting a course putt in at my school, the problem is the cost of a 9 holer is around $6,000 plus upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
soccer ball = $14, 2 official goals = $4,300 Total = $4314 for 22 people

44 discs (a driver and putter per player) = $300, 18 DGA MACH II = 4427. Total = 4,727 for 22 people

as far as teaching in schools substitute the goals with parking cones and you have nearly no cost, where if you substitute baskets with targets you lose alot of the essence of the game same with using regular frisbees