Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Discs faster then its speed rating?

I just got two new glow teebirds (CAL engraving), I already had one. I was out throwing all my teebirds, KC Pro 10x and 11x, star, CE, and glow, I noticed that these Glow ones seemed to be faster then all of the other ones. I was throwing them about 10-15 ft further.

The question is has anyone else noticed this from their teebirds or any other disc they have?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Could be the fact that they're new. The wear on regular discs will pull a little bit of distance off of them as the imperfections on the disc cause drag.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 101
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you sure they werent tbird plus? I was doing an innova order for a club and the CFR glow tbirds were a tbird pluss.

I am not saying that is what you have, but it might explain it.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Marshall street and disc golf center have a flick rated at the same speed as a valk. I feel the flick is much faster.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've noticed similar concepts.

i'm wondering if Innova hasnt figured out a better translucent plastic method and it's actually making discs faster (MPH not disc rating). The Discraft and Lat64 plastics are a lot harder and faster. Lat64 plastics seem indestructible at times and their discs seem to fly really fast through the air.

The most common thing i hear about glo plastic is
"it's a lot straighter and longer than my normal champion." - interestingly enough, most people never mention that it makes them any degree of more overstable.

Talking out loud - i'd love to see how innova's glow rates to discraft elite-z. Think how would a "champion glow Roc" rate against a ez wasp. i'd bet they are almost exactly the same, even more so than they currently are.

Last edited by djjeremiahj; 12-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapples View Post
Marshall street and disc golf center have a flick rated at the same speed as a valk. I feel the flick is much faster.
I was going to say the same thing Scotty. The flick seems way faster than it's rated.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 84
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
Could be the fact that they're new. The wear on regular discs will pull a little bit of distance off of them as the imperfections on the disc cause drag.
That is what I thought as well but the used one I have is just as fast. They are faster then my KC Pros as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Are you sure they werent tbird plus? I was doing an innova order for a club and the CFR glow tbirds were a tbird pluss.

I am not saying that is what you have, but it might explain it.
No they are the 11x CAL mold.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
Actually it's the opposite. Worn discs almost always fly farther and the Teebird is no exception. In fact, it illustrates this rule really well.

Just going farther might not be a perfect way to measure the speed of a disc. It could be that the glows are a bit less overstable and get that late turn easier than the others and don't fade quite as hard or early. It's the reason worn DX Teebirds usually go farther than Champ TB's.

If you throw them all into a headwind and find the glows penetrate better (don't lose as much D) then they probably are a bit faster. If they get proportionally shorter (like a worn DX TB probably will) or lose the same amount of D than the others then they probably aren't any faster.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Usually when a stable dx beats in and gets understable you can hyzer flip it and get better D. IMO a beat dx will fly similar to the same mold of champion if the champion is lighter. Since the champs maintain their smooth shape there is less drag, resulting in better distance. This is pretty theoretical however I have beat 160ish dx valks and my 150 champ always goes further.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjeremiahj View Post
i've noticed similar concepts.

i'm wondering if Innova hasnt figured out a better translucent plastic method and it's actually making discs faster (MPH not disc rating). The Discraft and Lat64 plastics are a lot harder and faster. Lat64 plastics seem indestructible at times and their discs seem to fly really fast through the air.

The most common thing i hear about glo plastic is
"it's a lot straighter and longer than my normal champion." - interestingly enough, most people never mention that it makes them any degree of more overstable.

Talking out loud - i'd love to see how innova's glow rates to discraft elite-z. Think how would a "champion glow Roc" rate against a ez wasp. i'd bet they are almost exactly the same, even more so than they currently are.
I'd have to disagree with this. What I hear most is that Glo plastic is more overstable than their normal counterparts. My limited personal experience (Glow Challenger- very stiff, more OS, Glow Comet, Glow Buzzz, Glow XL, Glow Teebird, etc) seems to back this up, though the Teebird was a + mold, so I'm sure that was the main reason for the difference