Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 4 Posts
Default Shoulder Tendonitis

Has anyone else here suffered with rotator cuff/bicep tendonitis? It has been three weeks since my last round of disc and I still have soreness!

I have planned to take an extended break to recover from this... I just wish I could start exercising or stretching or... anything! Waiting sucks.

THEN, I have to train for 8-12 weeks after the pain dissipates before I can hit the course again. At least this is happening during the wintertime.

How much rest did you need for the pain to subside? How long did it keep you out of the game? Did you have recurring tendonitis episodes or other related shoulder issues? Did it change your game for the better? Worse? How did you keep sane wile you were on IR? Any other advice?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you pick things up with the shoulder? Positive it is not torn? I suffer from it while playing but usually constant stretching and proper warm up will keep it from coming back once it is under control. I've pretty much had a messed up shoulder for a while where it can come out of the socket if it gets in a weird position. (Going for rebound in basketball for example)

Doing some good shoulder workouts can really help as well.

I still can't really play dg due to a ruptured Achilles tendon back in May. I couldn't really do anything but rest for quite some time. I played before it got snowy out but can't really risk re-injuring it. (Plus the boot would get wet - my calf is just now starting to work again so I still rock a boot while golfing.)

I did get a chance to read and absorb a lot of information though. I've ready so many threads here and other places, that I know a lot more about the game now at least. Just do things to keep the mind busy.

Sometimes I'm not even sure that I'll make it back out there. lmao You're not alone.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

I didn't use my left from March to August. I took MSM religiously during that time and it helped immensely.

Learn how to throw off-hand if you want to play. After a while you will get decent.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduCatOR View Post
Can you pick things up with the shoulder? Positive it is not torn?
Yes, I can pick things up. Doc said there might be a strain or small tear, but that rest will heal that. I have been actively avoiding using the shoulder, and since there is still discomfort just from the weight of my arm after several repetitions, I haven't lifted anything heavy.

Wow, I really hope I can get back in it before 8 months passes. That sounds terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
I took MSM religiously during that time and it helped immensely.
A quick Google search reveals that by MSM you must mean you must mean methylsulfonylmethane, a sulphur supplement. Can I get this stuff at my local GNC?

I was thinking about playing lefty, but twisting the body will still put shear forces on my right shoulder. I'm not so sure this is a good idea just yet.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently had shoulder problems too. I didn't see a doctor about it, but since the pain was limited I worked with the assumption it was inflamation or a small tear. I rested it as much as possible for 3 weeks before I played again. It held up fine without any pain for a full day of play (2 games, plus) last week, but maybe even another week of rest would have been good.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Yes, thats the stuff and yes, they sell it.

Wow, you have a lot more pain than I had.

I had full movement except could not lift arm above shoulder level with my arm at my side.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I had full movement except could not lift arm above shoulder level with my arm at my side.
That's what mine was like. I couldn't raise my arm to shoulder level without pain, and couldn't raise it straight over my head at all, and I couldn't reach my left shoulder.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 361
Niced 103 Times in 53 Posts

old threads:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...882#post320882

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...399#post314399
Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Yes, thats the stuff and yes, they sell it.

Wow, you have a lot more pain than I had.

I still have a full range of motion even above my shoulder, but if I do something like arm circles, I get sore under the front of my arm and in the front of my shoulder in the bicep region. And it really isn't terrible pain, just a twinge of soreness to remind me that I'm not healthy yet.

I just might go pick up some supplements. Time to do some reading. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you sure that is what it is? I had the same symptoms (mainly not being able to lift my arm), & I was just dealing with it. Then one day I went to a chiropractor for some lower back issue, while I was there I mentioned my shoulder. He did a test, with me laying on my back I extend my hand to my hip, then he had me raise my hand while he applied pressure to keep my arm/hand in place. Due to my lack of ability to lift with much force (the other side was much stronger) he knew there was an issue. He then went through a series of movements (not violent at all) with the "break away table", and I instantly had more strength in my shoulder.
I'm just saying it might be worth checking out. Good luck either way.