Old 01-24-2016, 10:13 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
The plastic on the DX roc3 I felt up yesterday was awesome. Stiff and not waxy at all.
Very glad to hear this.

Washed mine off and it feels a little better. Maybe there was some residue of something on it. I'll go throw it then clean it again and see how it feels...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts

Update: took the DX Roc3 to the range today, along with the DX VRoc and Metal Flake Roc3 (and other discs, but for different purposes).

The DX Roc3 flew straight and then faded left (RHBH throw) like the Metal Flake and other Roc3s. After a few throws, I noticed that the DX Roc3 was already mellowing out in its flight. With more use, it's going to become a very stable(neutral) to slightly understable disc with diminishing fade, IMHO.

I like throwing the DX Roc3 okay, and will probably take it out for my rounds this week (if the weather holds). But in the overall, the DX is not as stiff as McPro, so I suspect the DX Roc3 will be in the "all-DX" bag but not part of my regular or core bags. The DX feels okay, by the way... better than that waxy DX Cobra in the "backup-backup-backup" box, fer sure...
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 114
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

FYI... Ice Bowl Rocs are looking pretty good. No drumming and the plastic feels nice.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

DX Rancho flat tops from Marshall Street, newest 12th run in mailbox today.

Feel nice. Plenty flat. I use as local trade currency.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

The blue and purples...yummy!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 114
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post

DX Rancho flat tops from Marshall Street, newest 12th run in mailbox today.

Feel nice. Plenty flat. I use as local trade currency.
Nice. Let me know if you want to trade one of the red or yellow ones.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I have never really been a roc lover. Nor a hater. The feel was what bothered me early on and nudged me towards the buzz route which then landed me in the trurth fan club. Recently as I've added some snap I have found myself not loving the truth, also not liking its range (getting too close to my gazelles). So I found myself digging through the used bin at a local pias, Grabbed an unlabled disc that I liked the feel of and low and behold it was a roc. That coupled with giving some RDG rocs a huk and here I am starting to dig rocs. The upshot being they are nice and cheap.

So I grabbed a vroc to get a head start on a seasoned roc cycle and a standard dx played two rounds head to head with my verdict/truth combo and was pretty happy. Much fewer over shots and attempts to use the force to push a drifting right disc back left.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_08 View Post
So I have never really been a roc lover. Nor a hater. The feel was what bothered me early on and nudged me towards the buzz route which then landed me in the trurth fan club. Recently as I've added some snap I have found myself not loving the truth, also not liking its range (getting too close to my gazelles). So I found myself digging through the used bin at a local pias, Grabbed an unlabled disc that I liked the feel of and low and behold it was a roc. That coupled with giving some RDG rocs a huk and here I am starting to dig rocs. The upshot being they are nice and cheap.

So I grabbed a vroc to get a head start on a seasoned roc cycle and a standard dx played two rounds head to head with my verdict/truth combo and was pretty happy. Much fewer over shots and attempts to use the force to push a drifting right disc back left.
Nice! It took me a few years of playing before coming back to DX Rocs too, but now they are my favorite mid. I'm currently loving the DX Glows from RDG for their nice initial stability and then have a seasoned DX for just dead straight throws that never fade off the line they're thrown on but also never turn and burn. Such a great disc.

I've noticed that my seasoned DX Roc, which started out with some "drum" as 3Putt would put it, doesn't drum at all now. I'm pretty sure it had a little more dome out of the box that it has lost now. It's not as flat as a "flat top" Roc, but it's definitely flatter than when I started using it. I wonder if that slight flattening out contributes to the loss of fade as Rocs wear in.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

i just got 2 drum dx rocs recently and a small stack of dx roc3. I'm stoked to throw them whenever that will be. i never clicked with the roc for too long, but always had amazing shots with it when i did bag it. i like flatter discs but the dx roc3s i snagged have the slightest domes not faf but close. this dx blend feels amazing! also had to snag a bright hot pink star roc3 today faf and super nice star not too stiff not too soft. now for the weather to cooperate so i can go work these in the field. it may sound looney but I'm hoping the roc3 will be my only mid. i throw putters a ton and am confident in them out to about 280. but there are times i need a little farther and a little lower, but i want my one mid to do straight to fade no drift. I'm thinking I'm on the right track.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
i just got 2 drum dx rocs recently and a small stack of dx roc3. I'm stoked to throw them whenever that will be. i never clicked with the roc for too long, but always had amazing shots with it when i did bag it. i like flatter discs but the dx roc3s i snagged have the slightest domes not faf but close. this dx blend feels amazing! also had to snag a bright hot pink star roc3 today faf and super nice star not too stiff not too soft. now for the weather to cooperate so i can go work these in the field. it may sound looney but I'm hoping the roc3 will be my only mid. i throw putters a ton and am confident in them out to about 280. but there are times i need a little farther and a little lower, but i want my one mid to do straight to fade no drift. I'm thinking I'm on the right track.
Let us know how your DX Roc3s fly after you've thrown them a few times. My experience with DX Roc3s is that if you're throwing putters 280, you're probably going to get some drift with a DX Roc3 unless you're hyzer flipping it. I've had champ Roc3s that were straight to fade with no turn from a flat rip, but I think the DX's generally have a bit of turn if you're getting them out over 300, which I'm sure you would (not to mention that it'll lose some fade after a few tree hits).