Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Public Perception of Disc Golf

I've been keeping up on the hilarity caused by the "Happy Endings" show. First it was the phone call from the TV studio, then it was the announcement by the PDGA to the disc golf community. The show aired, then the defensive comments were shared and immediately the insults were hurled. Now we have two videos, an "apology" from part of the cast and a rebuttal from Val and Nate.

I must say it's all been extremely entertaining, but it also got me thinking.

How did this disc golfer stereotype enter the minds of the public? We know there are hippies out there digging a day of throwing saucers up in the air. We also know there are serious players practicing their sport, but why do the oblivious believe our sport is full of losers with nothing better to do?

I've seen old videos and pictures of disc golf in the 70s and the pioneers of our sport didn't look like hippies. I've heard some early interviews and they didn't strike me as "losers."

So why do these negative views exist?

I've never heard things like, "Losers! You throw a ball at a ball," when the sport of Bocce ball is brought up. I've never heard any insults directed at professional horse shoe players, dart enthusiasts or billiard players.

So, how? Was there a movie in the '80s I don't know about? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I believe when the sport started they put disc golfers in the same category as surfers.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 120
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER

^Big mistake
Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i honestly don't think disc golf as a sport is even on the public's radar to have a general opinion about. i think individuals form an opinion on it based on how they are exposed to it even existing, either positively or negatively.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think Dungeons and Dragons is stupid as hell but there are plenty of people out there that will try and prove me wrong.

Disc golf is cheap and unorganized which is a magnet for losers. If they could smoke a blunt and drink a 40 of OE while playing organized football, they probably would.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

People CONFUSE us as being the same frisbee tossing hippies they saw at Woodstock...Disc Golf is different and not everyone realizes this. When I hand people a DG disc, they note the major differences from a REGULAR FRISBEE...it happens everytime. Ever wonder why noobs tend to start throwing at around 150'? Because there is so much technique involved. I can THROW a golf ball farther that I could hit one...because I LACK THE TECHNIQUE...no matter, they will still look at us as unskilled lay-abouts.

Last edited by Doupie620; 10-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 124
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Did you see the Eminem thread recently. Those folks did us no justice in public perception.
On the other hand, I don't particularly care what others think of the sport. I find that when people see me and ask about the sport I can give a good name for DG. Others have the mentality of the sport is just something to do while getting buzzed. I don't hold it against them, that is their own thing. I'm happy with the growth of the sport. I don't think we need some big PR campaign to "change perceptions".

I'm going to throw out the most nauseating response, but it is appropriate: "It is what it is"

Niced: (1)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Darts, horshoes, bocce, and pool are usually played for money by a large portion of the playing population. SO gambling is the main thing associated with those, not Pro players or "sport" in my opinion.

As for the hippie thing, well the largest portion of disc golfers would still be found with a green substance in their possession and are not afraid to mention or show it.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 120
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
I think Dungeons and Dragons is stupid as hell but there are plenty of people out there that will try and prove me wrong.

Disc golf is cheap and unorganized which is a magnet for losers. If they could smoke a blunt and drink a 40 of OE while playing organized football, they probably would.
This whole post is Gold

Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

A Frisbee is a toy that most people fling around for fun in the backyard or beach or park. No skill, no technique - just a fun little thing to do. The idea of making a golf game out of it with the image most people have of what is Frisbee is and how it is used is indeed weird. I'm sure this is a big part of it.

It is ignorance of what disc golf really is that causes this, but I do not find it too surprising. There are lots of things in life a segment of the population loves that others find lame and for losers. All sorts of things like NASCAR to LARPing come to mind.