Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Per this site, http://https://www.calhouncountymi.g...nd_recreation/ there is a 9 hole course at Kimball Pines. Anyone know anything about this?
Yes, Kimball is in the process of being resurrected. The course is currently quite playable with 9 holes, a set of long and a set of shorts at each hole. It was literally mowed and weed-whipped two days ago so it's in decent shape. There's been somebody working out there every single time I've gone out.

That said, the course may have a pulse but it's not quite back yet. Some of the tees are dirt and/or not in their final location. There's a plan in place for 10-18 but that's a fall job so I don't know if it'll be in place this year or not. The rough is crazy rough. The regular players bring machetes. Buddy lost a couple of discs and we spent something like 4 hours weedwhacking and cutting brush to recover them. We figured we were helping with the clearing so didn't really mind. You absolutely MUST play with a spotter if you want to avoid losing a disc. Biggest problem with the brush areas is that they tend to be where they bulldozed/bobcatted all the fallen pines in a pile. The footing is DAMN treacherous. We've been trying to cut trails through it to help but don't kid yourself - it's wild.

I like to play the longs at Kimball and then drive 3 minutes down the road to Dexter Lake to do the 9 there - makes for a pretty good 18. Some guys do the longs then the shorts to get a full 18 in.

There's a tournament there this Saturday.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,738 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-UP View Post
Yes, Kimball is in the process of being resurrected. The course is currently quite playable with 9 holes, a set of long and a set of shorts at each hole. It was literally mowed and weed-whipped two days ago so it's in decent shape. There's been somebody working out there every single time I've gone out.

That said, the course may have a pulse but it's not quite back yet. Some of the tees are dirt and/or not in their final location. There's a plan in place for 10-18 but that's a fall job so I don't know if it'll be in place this year or not. The rough is crazy rough. The regular players bring machetes. Buddy lost a couple of discs and we spent something like 4 hours weedwhacking and cutting brush to recover them. We figured we were helping with the clearing so didn't really mind. You absolutely MUST play with a spotter if you want to avoid losing a disc. Biggest problem with the brush areas is that they tend to be where they bulldozed/bobcatted all the fallen pines in a pile. The footing is DAMN treacherous. We've been trying to cut trails through it to help but don't kid yourself - it's wild.

I like to play the longs at Kimball and then drive 3 minutes down the road to Dexter Lake to do the 9 there - makes for a pretty good 18. Some guys do the longs then the shorts to get a full 18 in.

There's a tournament there this Saturday.
Hey, thanks for the update. Someone should update the course page here and get the info into DGS. The more traffic out there, the more the shule gets beat down. I will have to put this back on my list.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,827 Times in 743 Posts

In case anyone is interested...Lake Township Park finally has the last of the permanent tee pads installed so that course (Sand Ridge DGC) is now complete.

And for those that are familiar with the area, the city of Saint Joseph has asked that we run a tournament on a temporary course at Riverview Park just so they can see how a disc golf course would look and feel there. It's 109 acres on the Saint Joseph river...yeah, I think we can do something with that.

Niced: (4)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:05 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 220
Niced 169 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
In case anyone is interested...Lake Township Park finally has the last of the permanent tee pads installed so that course (Sand Ridge DGC) is now complete.

And for those that are familiar with the area, the city of Saint Joseph has asked that we run a tournament on a temporary course at Riverview Park just so they can see how a disc golf course would look and feel there. It's 109 acres on the Saint Joseph river...yeah, I think we can do something with that.
Lake Township Park is the course in Bridgeman, right?

If so, glad to see that got redone...the old layout was, well, quite something.

I'd love to see something in St. Joe! I'm up at Warren Dunes all the time in the summer and always wishing there were more courses in the area!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Lake Township Park is the course in Bridgeman, right?

If so, glad to see that got redone...the old layout was, well, quite something.

I'd love to see something in St. Joe! I'm up at Warren Dunes all the time in the summer and always wishing there were more courses in the area!
Yep. That's the one. The old layout was a disaster. Particularly parts of the back nine. You'd love it now with the turf tees and pro signage all we need now are a few more benches.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Cool

Quote:
Yep. That's the one. The old layout was a disaster. Particularly parts of the back nine. You'd love it now with the turf tees and pro signage all we need now are a few more benches.
Sweeeet!

The old layout should have been preserved for all the things a disc golf course SHOULDN'T do: criss-crossing fairways, throwing over roads, throwing along unscalable fence lines, throwing over a soccer field, a hole in the woods that hadn't cleared any brush or trees for a fairway, etc etc.

It was literally my least favorite course I'd ever played, and the lowest rated 18 holer I'd ever reviewed.

So glad to see that something different is being done there!

Thanks for the updates, Dave!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

You didn’t have to “scale” the fences. You just had to know where you could go under them lol. The township bought 10 acres to the east so all the woods behind the fence off of old #3 is now being used for holes 2 through 9. If you’re ever in the area drop me a line I’d love to play a round there with ya.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Quote:
You didn’t have to “scale” the fences. You just had to know where you could go under them lol. The township bought 10 acres to the east so all the woods behind the fence off of old #3 is now being used for holes 2 through 9. If you’re ever in the area drop me a line I’d love to play a round there with ya.
I'll let you know when I go up to see the new layout, fo' sho'!

It had been a long while (7-ish years) since I played the course...I don't recall there being places to go under the fences, but I may have missed them. Didn't there used to be some large and mean dogs on the other side of #3's fence?

That's awesome re: the extra 10 acres....that will definitely help improve the course, I'm sure!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

And FWIW here's a layout for the temp course we will be likely using for Riverview in Saint Joseph. For the permanent course, we are going to go into the woods off to the south but for a temp course that just isn't worth the hassle off all that clearing needed.

-Dave

Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Quote:
And FWIW here's a layout for the temp course we will be likely using for Riverview in Saint Joseph. For the permanent course, we are going to go into the woods off to the south but for a temp course that just isn't worth the hassle off all that clearing needed.

-Dave
Dave dropping the K-nowledge with a capital "K"!

"Momentary Bliss"....nice name!

Thanks for the info!!!