Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Profitability: disc golf physical store / pay to play course?

I wonder about this all the time because good disc golf shops are few and far between. I mean, based on seeing Altitude go out of business and selling discs "at cost" ($7-10) it has to be tough! If it didn't ruin the game, turning a profit by owning and operating a store like The Throw Shop (Ann Arbor), Disc Nation, DGC, DD, or whatever would be a dream. At $5-10/disc, though... I'd have to sell a ton to make what I am in my current profession. Does anyone know how profitable a physical storefront is/can be? How bout a good pay to play course?

TL;DR - How profitable is a dg store and/or pay to play course?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by apparition; 09-18-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I believe that a few of the disc golf stores are fronts for other activities that make them money....
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Yea discnation has about 10 or more online stores that say its something else but the layout is identical to discnation with another name on it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should ask Alan Peir. Had his own 32 hole course, manufactured his own baskets and STILL couldn't keep it going on his own land. Peiradise DGC, Peru, IN.
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

As for pay-to-play, if you averaged 20 players a day for a year at $5 a person, you would bring in $36,500. Now how much does it cost to maintain the course, how much is your mortgage on the land, etc? I'm guessing, not too profitable. And then you have the logistics as to whether or not your land is zoned to be able to charge people to play. Insurance, etc etc
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all has to do with foot traffic. If it's in a popular park with a well rated course, and with multiple layouts to maximize player diversity, located off a major road or near a city, it may do well. Wouldn't hurt to have an online store presence, so easy access to a shipping hub would be a plus. I know here in Indy, we have a major FedEx hub, so orders I make using FedEx arrive usually a day or two prior to estimated delivery date. If you're stuck out in BFE Nowhere, USA, you may have trouble getting by on rice and beans everyday.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I saw a closed down gas station across the street from a DG course. Gas and discs, or a dive/19th hole bar would be cool (but also a headache to run). Maybe getting a rape van and a sales permit would be the easiest way to sell discs at a physical location, or mix it up with an ice cream truck venture and just show up at DG courses. I think I'd only open up a shop so I could get first dibs at all the discs.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know DGC sells other stuff, too. Interesting idea. Actually, the nearest store to me that sells discs other the Discraft and Innova is a smoke/headshop that sells base plastic for $14 and good plastics for $20+... (The Rabbit Hole, Saginaw, MI). If only they'd expand their lineup and lower their prices to something reasonable...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
I know DGC sells other stuff, too. Interesting idea. Actually, the nearest store to me that sells discs other the Discraft and Innova is a smoke/headshop that sells base plastic for $14 and good plastics for $20+... (The Rabbit Hole, Saginaw, MI). If only they'd expand their lineup and lower their prices to something reasonable...
Those prices surprise me. Even a major sporting goods store could blow their business out of the water. That should tell you something though; as most large sporting goods barely carries much disc golf stuff if any at all.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, when I've talked to the owner it's very apparent he's not a savvy businessman. He was surprised when I told him his prices were too high. I mean, an opto Lat64 disc for $22?!

Anyway, I haven't gotten any responses from people I've messaged about profitability... In the last two months alone I've read about quite a few stores closing anyway.