Old 01-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 157
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 96 Times in 50 Posts
Exclamation Is Rutgers Doomed?

Care for the campus (cutting down trees) is in conflict with the layout of the old disc golf course at Rutgers Douglass College. Unfortunately the removal of some big trees is reducing the challenge of some holes.

My understanding is that this course was a gift to the University many years ago. It's never been maintained by the U, just tolerated as a feature that's been around as long as anyone can remember. In it's legitimate efforts to protect students, property and the health of the campus foliage, the U has been cutting down a lot of trees. This is really changing the nature (sorry) of many holes. I've been playing Rutgers for less that a year, and even I can notice the changes due to the removal of fairway trees and great old guardian trees.

Maybe the course will evolve in a positive way, but without official support from the University, it's hard to see how it will. In the meantime, play and enjoy Rutgers. If you haven't played, get there soon. If you haven't played a tournament with the temporary long set-up, do it! And to all of you who've been playing the course for years, I share your sorrow watching the course be changed in front of our eyes. Even as new courses sprout up around NJ, nothing will replace Rutgers.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=557
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

Sounds like it's time for you and others to get 'activist' and start pushing to save the Rutgers DG course...

Niced: (2)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 217 Times in 142 Posts

I feel your struggle; my alma mater Clemson University did something similar. The disc golf course at Y beach was installed for probably two or three years, then the University got an influx of cash to build a bunch of stuff at Y Beach and pulled the baskets. Our club tried to work with them to plan a new course but we were told, in essence, there was no way to design a course that wouldn’t be in the way of future construction. Fortunately, there’s a somewhat happy ending, as the course wasn’t a super fantastic one and there’s a great course in the neighboring town of Central, SC. In addition, we were able to get the university to donate the baskets to a local brewery that was installing an awesome course (Golden Grove Brewing in Pelzer, SC) so it ultimately worked out well.

Ultimately my advice would be to contact your university’s recreation department to see if there’s any way to tweak the design of the holes to make the course more challenging and flow better with what trees are left. Ultimately, you should hopefully be able to find a good solution for everyone

Niced: (1)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,615 Times in 1,208 Posts

Wasn't this one of Cubbie's home courses? If so, it would be cool to have it preserved for his memory.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 258 Times in 114 Posts

Parcs change over time, nature changes. You gotta accept that.

Maybe redesign the course?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 1,073 Times in 504 Posts

Nah, they'll be OK. I know they haven't been too competitive in revenue sports since the move to the B1G, but they did just beat #16 Ohio State last night.

Niced: (1)