Old 04-21-2021, 03:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 216
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 814 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscopic View Post
This will be my last post on the subject. If you didn't get it, sorry, I tried. It's so frustrating trying to make people understand. I have no idea how Sidewinder22 does it. He certainly has more patience than I do. Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best and hope that you'll be able to see through the illusion someday. I'm a terrible teacher.
Gyro:

We get that you are excited. But the "methods of improving explosive power" are not news. I am 60 years old now. But when I played high school & college team sports in the late 1970s early 1980s, they were all part of our training program.

Now I will have one critique. The emphasis that this particular guy places on how the joints are absorbing impact while doing that training can be life-altering. Not necessarily in your 20s & 30s, maybe not in your 40s, but you better believe that all those drills improving my vertical jump (similar type drills) where the knees and ankles took a lot of impact while building the muscles around them have come back to haunt me. I already had one knee fully replaced at age 56, and the other is heading down the same path of cartilage deterioration. Is it totally causal? Well my orthopedist cannot say. Is it a factor? You're darned tootin' it is. Dr. Tarek (T.O.) Souryal is a foremost authority on the topic. He recommends and had his NBA players train WITHOUT drills or weightlifting placing impact on the knees; they have enough of that just in playing the sport; there is no need to exacerbate it, he says. No lifting via squats, no jump squats, no leg presses, etc.

Check his background, his resume, his expertise and/or (YES I AM PROMOTING) his Saturday morning radio talk show (or podcast on demand) entitled Inside Sports Medicine with Dr. T.O. Souryal. Listen to a couple of shows and you will quickly understand two things -- these guys are super intelligent and learned about sports medicine; AND, they are down-to-earth everyday people like us. When I've called in to ask a question about how my body is being affected by disc golf, these guys who treat some of the biggest names in sports, didn't make fun or joke. They asked me questions. How does your body turn? What muscles/joints lead? How did it feel when the pain came up? etc. I trust his beliefs and my experience on that type of training. While it may be GREAT short-term, it might have long-term quality-of-life effects that would cause me to question it. But if that's no worry for you, then go for it.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2021, 06:19 AM

Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Gyro:

We get that you are excited. But the "methods of improving explosive power" are not news. I am 60 years old now. But when I played high school & college team sports in the late 1970s early 1980s, they were all part of our training program.

Now I will have one critique. The emphasis that this particular guy places on how the joints are absorbing impact while doing that training can be life-altering. Not necessarily in your 20s & 30s, maybe not in your 40s, but you better believe that all those drills improving my vertical jump (similar type drills) where the knees and ankles took a lot of impact while building the muscles around them have come back to haunt me. I already had one knee fully replaced at age 56, and the other is heading down the same path of cartilage deterioration. Is it totally causal? Well my orthopedist cannot say. Is it a factor? You're darned tootin' it is. Dr. Tarek (T.O.) Souryal is a foremost authority on the topic. He recommends and had his NBA players train WITHOUT drills or weightlifting placing impact on the knees; they have enough of that just in playing the sport; there is no need to exacerbate it, he says. No lifting via squats, no jump squats, no leg presses, etc.

Check his background, his resume, his expertise and/or (YES I AM PROMOTING) his Saturday morning radio talk show (or podcast on demand) entitled Inside Sports Medicine with Dr. T.O. Souryal. Listen to a couple of shows and you will quickly understand two things -- these guys are super intelligent and learned about sports medicine; AND, they are down-to-earth everyday people like us. When I've called in to ask a question about how my body is being affected by disc golf, these guys who treat some of the biggest names in sports, didn't make fun or joke. They asked me questions. How does your body turn? What muscles/joints lead? How did it feel when the pain came up? etc. I trust his beliefs and my experience on that type of training. While it may be GREAT short-term, it might have long-term quality-of-life effects that would cause me to question it. But if that's no worry for you, then go for it.
Thank you for the explanation. I researched this on my own and came to the same conclusion. Please disregard this thread. Or delete it, since I am just confusing everyone. I apologize, and will leave all teaching up to those that are qualified to do so.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 248
Niced 6,066 Times in 3,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
There is likely some merit in these videos, but honestly, you’re pushing them suspiciously hard. Somewhere there is an athletic training video with Eagle and Simon, where they are running, jumping and other sorts of training. They do not demonstrate athletic prowess, except in disc golf.

Edit:

They are doing very similar exercises to the OP video. Most of the top pros are probably better athletes than you imagine. Eagle might be the oddball, but he was built for throwing with them levers.

Simon has athletic prowess.

McBeth dunking over car:

Drew dunking a Stego:

GG gymnastics:

Niced: (2)
Old 04-22-2021, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Why do I need to watch a YouTube video to jump around in my basement? I know how to jump around. Oh crap, I have a crawl not a basement, looks like I am out of luck.
If you already knew everything, then you don't need to watch, just like you don't need to comment. I found it interesting enough. The video below has some info I bet you never knew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Gyro:

I didn't hear what you heard in the vids. The guy was talking about form being #1 over everything else and resistance bands over weighted training to reduce the impact on the joints. 1st year of training was nothing but bodyweight exercises. You only push as hard as you want. Rest and stretching maybe more important than the training. Seems to be sound advice IMO.

Your cautionary tale is sound as well, everyone is different and has different goals both short and long term. I have a feeling the training you went thru back then, was a little different than what is being done today. I also think there is a big difference between NBA pro athletes that literally jump for a living vs most disc golfers - many of which have never worked out.

Paige demonstrating her favorite Disc Golf Strong exercise:

Niced: (3)
Old 04-22-2021, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscopic View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I researched this on my own and came to the same conclusion. Please disregard this thread. Or delete it, since I am just confusing everyone. I apologize, and will leave all teaching up to those that are qualified to do so.
I think there is merit to what you posted and I would encourage to you to keep posting. Nothing wrong with discussion or alternate arguments and there are no dumb questions(unlike one "teacher" I know believes). The way you posted so enthusiastically did come off as a little suspicious as being a shill for the guy, so I think that is why you got some of the reactions you did.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced: (2)