Old 09-21-2021, 09:48 AM
Size Queen

Niced 406 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
JFC this thread is like the old drunk who won't shut up and won't leave the bar.
Bogey, Ru4por or tmxer?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2021, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,396 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
The top pro's want (or have stated in the past they wanted) a smaller basket, so you disagree with McBeth, Uli, Simon, and many others.

The basket is going to get smaller for the pro's at some point, it's just a matter of when, not if.
The top pros are the entertainment. I (and everyone that watches DG) am the audience. WE decide what is entertaining to us. If the top pros want to demonstrate how small baskets are more entertaining by all means, they can do so.

Until such time as someone does that, my opinion will remain as is.

You hate disc golf. Why do you care? Why are you here?
Old 09-21-2021, 11:58 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The top pros are the entertainment. I (and everyone that watches DG) am the audience. WE decide what is entertaining to us. If the top pros want to demonstrate how small baskets are more entertaining by all means, they can do so.

Until such time as someone does that, my opinion will remain as is.

You hate disc golf. Why do you care? Why are you here?
I don't like the gimmicks is all, the raised baskets, the miles of ropes, the poop sticks, etc....

I also know C1 putts are boring to watch like the rest of the world.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 231
Niced 1,135 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Ironically, that would require a narrower chain assembly (or bigger basket tray) to handle larger Super Class discs.
I was thinking everyone putt with Ultrastars. It would be difficult indeed and would accomplish the secondary goal (I think of a well-known frequenter of this thread) of making putting and disc golf way less enjoyable.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 101
Niced 3,149 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote:
I don't like the gimmicks is all, the raised baskets, the miles of ropes, the poop sticks, etc....

I also know C1 putts are boring to watch like the rest of the world.
What you propose will make it more boring.

Why do you like boring disc golf?
Old 09-21-2021, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,425 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post

If the green doesn't look like a typical American backyard - it results in way too much "luck" for OldMD. No reason to force a player to execute a creative approach from release through the flight and inclusive of the landing angle/speed/location - make that irrelevant and just make the basket small so that the same boring ass putts are less easy to make.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:53 PM

Courses Played: 13
Niced 25 Times in 10 Posts

I confess I haven't read through all of this thread, but I did some math because...well that's just what I do. On the PGA tour the average course is 5000-7000 yards and the average putt length made is between 70-75' according to their statistics.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.438.html

If we normalize each holes (5000 yds / 18 holes and 7000 yds / 18 holes) that means the average successful put is about 6-8.4% of the overall length of the hole.

Now if we take that 6-8.4% and work backwards, assuming C1 (30ft) is what should be considered baseline for a pro, the average hole length on a disc golf course should be somewhere in the region of 360-500 feet long.

Moving on, a golf ball is 1.68" diameter and represents 39.5% of the hole area while a disc (8.425") represents about 32.8% of the basket.

So all things considered, I'd say these stats are pretty darn close. My concern making the baskets smaller would be the hole in one statistics, or even long range birdies/eagles. Putting may require more touch to get in a smaller basket but discs don't have the advantage of rolling into a hole like a golf ball. So getting a disc to remain in a basket coming from a long ways away would be increased in difficultly quite a bit.

I think the better thing to do is to make course design more challenging or creative to ensure less putts are occurring in C1, or the putts that occur in C1 are lay ups.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2021, 03:25 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post

That's Chris that likes boring putting. Actually I think he likes poop sticks.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:30 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunk flugget View Post
I confess I haven't read through all of this thread, but I did some math because...well that's just what I do. On the PGA tour the average course is 5000-7000 yards and the average putt length made is between 70-75' according to their statistics.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.438.html

If we normalize each holes (5000 yds / 18 holes and 7000 yds / 18 holes) that means the average successful put is about 6-8.4% of the overall length of the hole.

Now if we take that 6-8.4% and work backwards, assuming C1 (30ft) is what should be considered baseline for a pro, the average hole length on a disc golf course should be somewhere in the region of 360-500 feet long.

Moving on, a golf ball is 1.68" diameter and represents 39.5% of the hole area while a disc (8.425") represents about 32.8% of the basket.

So all things considered, I'd say these stats are pretty darn close. My concern making the baskets smaller would be the hole in one statistics, or even long range birdies/eagles. Putting may require more touch to get in a smaller basket but discs don't have the advantage of rolling into a hole like a golf ball. So getting a disc to remain in a basket coming from a long ways away would be increased in difficultly quite a bit.

I think the better thing to do is to make course design more challenging or creative to ensure less putts are occurring in C1, or the putts that occur in C1 are lay ups.
You didn't include the percentages. PGA Tour from 10 feet 40%. PDGT 100%.

You also didn't factor avg distance to putt either. That's the biggest factor, HOW EASY is it to Birdie? Is Disc Golf a real sport if players shoot 18 under? Have miles of fake OB ropes? Have goofy raised baskets and poop sticks? How professional do we look from an outsiders perspective? Not very!!!

I also don't agree that holes cannot be parked, or aced. To me that is a terrible hole. I would think most agree. If the best possible shot is a 35 foot putt for birdie I call it crap.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,425 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Is Disc Golf a real sport if players shoot 18 under?
Yes.
Quote:
Have miles of fake OB ropes? Have goofy raised baskets and poop sticks?
No one wants those things. Elevated baskets that look nice? Sure, some are nice - on hills, or aesthetic structures. No one wants the ropes. No one wants the mozzarella sticks. No one is arguing for those things, so shut the **** up about them.

Everyone here is arguing, very specifically, against your proposal for smaller baskets. Because it is the worst possible non-solution to the very real problem that we all recognize just as well as you do.

Niced: (1)