#3571  
Old 09-21-2021, 09:48 AM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,309
Niced 406 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
JFC this thread is like the old drunk who won't shut up and won't leave the bar.
Bogey, Ru4por or tmxer?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #3572  
Old 09-21-2021, 09:59 AM
txmxer txmxer is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,660
Niced 1,396 Times in 705 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
The top pro's want (or have stated in the past they wanted) a smaller basket, so you disagree with McBeth, Uli, Simon, and many others.

The basket is going to get smaller for the pro's at some point, it's just a matter of when, not if.
The top pros are the entertainment. I (and everyone that watches DG) am the audience. WE decide what is entertaining to us. If the top pros want to demonstrate how small baskets are more entertaining by all means, they can do so.

Until such time as someone does that, my opinion will remain as is.

You hate disc golf. Why do you care? Why are you here?
Reply With Quote
  #3573  
Old 09-21-2021, 11:58 AM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,309
Niced 406 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The top pros are the entertainment. I (and everyone that watches DG) am the audience. WE decide what is entertaining to us. If the top pros want to demonstrate how small baskets are more entertaining by all means, they can do so.

Until such time as someone does that, my opinion will remain as is.

You hate disc golf. Why do you care? Why are you here?
I don't like the gimmicks is all, the raised baskets, the miles of ropes, the poop sticks, etc....

I also know C1 putts are boring to watch like the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #3574  
Old 09-21-2021, 12:27 PM
armiller's Avatar
armiller armiller is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 231
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,835
Niced 1,135 Times in 701 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Ironically, that would require a narrower chain assembly (or bigger basket tray) to handle larger Super Class discs.
I was thinking everyone putt with Ultrastars. It would be difficult indeed and would accomplish the secondary goal (I think of a well-known frequenter of this thread) of making putting and disc golf way less enjoyable.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #3575  
Old 09-21-2021, 12:35 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,599
Niced 3,149 Times in 1,271 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I don't like the gimmicks is all, the raised baskets, the miles of ropes, the poop sticks, etc....

I also know C1 putts are boring to watch like the rest of the world.
What you propose will make it more boring.

Why do you like boring disc golf?
Reply With Quote
  #3576  
Old 09-21-2021, 12:39 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,029
Niced 1,425 Times in 724 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
What you propose will make it more boring.

Why do you like boring disc golf?
If the green doesn't look like a typical American backyard - it results in way too much "luck" for OldMD. No reason to force a player to execute a creative approach from release through the flight and inclusive of the landing angle/speed/location - make that irrelevant and just make the basket small so that the same boring ass putts are less easy to make.
Reply With Quote
  #3577  
Old 09-21-2021, 02:53 PM
strunk flugget strunk flugget is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: NC
Courses Played: 13
Posts: 26
Niced 25 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I confess I haven't read through all of this thread, but I did some math because...well that's just what I do. On the PGA tour the average course is 5000-7000 yards and the average putt length made is between 70-75' according to their statistics.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.438.html

If we normalize each holes (5000 yds / 18 holes and 7000 yds / 18 holes) that means the average successful put is about 6-8.4% of the overall length of the hole.

Now if we take that 6-8.4% and work backwards, assuming C1 (30ft) is what should be considered baseline for a pro, the average hole length on a disc golf course should be somewhere in the region of 360-500 feet long.

Moving on, a golf ball is 1.68" diameter and represents 39.5% of the hole area while a disc (8.425") represents about 32.8% of the basket.

So all things considered, I'd say these stats are pretty darn close. My concern making the baskets smaller would be the hole in one statistics, or even long range birdies/eagles. Putting may require more touch to get in a smaller basket but discs don't have the advantage of rolling into a hole like a golf ball. So getting a disc to remain in a basket coming from a long ways away would be increased in difficultly quite a bit.

I think the better thing to do is to make course design more challenging or creative to ensure less putts are occurring in C1, or the putts that occur in C1 are lay ups.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3578  
Old 09-21-2021, 03:25 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,309
Niced 406 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
What you propose will make it more boring.

Why do you like boring disc golf?
That's Chris that likes boring putting. Actually I think he likes poop sticks.
Reply With Quote
  #3579  
Old 09-21-2021, 03:30 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,309
Niced 406 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunk flugget View Post
I confess I haven't read through all of this thread, but I did some math because...well that's just what I do. On the PGA tour the average course is 5000-7000 yards and the average putt length made is between 70-75' according to their statistics.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.438.html

If we normalize each holes (5000 yds / 18 holes and 7000 yds / 18 holes) that means the average successful put is about 6-8.4% of the overall length of the hole.

Now if we take that 6-8.4% and work backwards, assuming C1 (30ft) is what should be considered baseline for a pro, the average hole length on a disc golf course should be somewhere in the region of 360-500 feet long.

Moving on, a golf ball is 1.68" diameter and represents 39.5% of the hole area while a disc (8.425") represents about 32.8% of the basket.

So all things considered, I'd say these stats are pretty darn close. My concern making the baskets smaller would be the hole in one statistics, or even long range birdies/eagles. Putting may require more touch to get in a smaller basket but discs don't have the advantage of rolling into a hole like a golf ball. So getting a disc to remain in a basket coming from a long ways away would be increased in difficultly quite a bit.

I think the better thing to do is to make course design more challenging or creative to ensure less putts are occurring in C1, or the putts that occur in C1 are lay ups.
You didn't include the percentages. PGA Tour from 10 feet 40%. PDGT 100%.

You also didn't factor avg distance to putt either. That's the biggest factor, HOW EASY is it to Birdie? Is Disc Golf a real sport if players shoot 18 under? Have miles of fake OB ropes? Have goofy raised baskets and poop sticks? How professional do we look from an outsiders perspective? Not very!!!

I also don't agree that holes cannot be parked, or aced. To me that is a terrible hole. I would think most agree. If the best possible shot is a 35 foot putt for birdie I call it crap.
Reply With Quote
 

  #3580  
Old 09-21-2021, 03:35 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,029
Niced 1,425 Times in 724 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Is Disc Golf a real sport if players shoot 18 under?
Yes.
Quote:
Have miles of fake OB ropes? Have goofy raised baskets and poop sticks?
No one wants those things. Elevated baskets that look nice? Sure, some are nice - on hills, or aesthetic structures. No one wants the ropes. No one wants the mozzarella sticks. No one is arguing for those things, so shut the **** up about them.

Everyone here is arguing, very specifically, against your proposal for smaller baskets. Because it is the worst possible non-solution to the very real problem that we all recognize just as well as you do.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is putting too easy? too hard? Just right? BirdieMachine General Disc Golf Chat 363 01-29-2017 07:35 AM
To those of you without your own baskets, how do you practice putting? Jmorri67 General Disc Golf Chat 32 06-03-2013 11:25 PM
Putting practice baskets in small neighborhood parks. tripp General Disc Golf Chat 19 03-03-2012 05:21 AM
If only baskets were this big =D Bamm General Disc Golf Chat 18 04-24-2011 05:09 PM
Night Putting Is Just Too Easy! juanbond General Disc Golf Chat 12 06-13-2010 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.