Old 09-19-2021, 12:36 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,774 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
So I grabbed a 166g G-Star Roadrunner from DGC the other day, expecting an out of the box roller.

MMM, nope. It has a pretty stable flight, much more so than my Widboom Star Sidewinder.

A common complaint is supposedly stable discs being flippy. I've had a run of supposedly US freaks that were anything but: Amp, FD (the famous run), even had a factory 2nd Underworld where I'm pretty sure the stamp was the error.

Still, I never found my Barsby Roadrunner flippy either. -4 1 should be flippy, no?
The 166 Gstar surprises me to be honest, maybe not an instant roller but definitely a disc you *should* be able to roll with when new.

Barsby RR's are claimed to be designed that way on purpose, allegedly he wanted them to come out a little more beefy. I don't know where the source for that is but it's generally agreed to be a truthful statement.

I have both new and old RRs and aside from the Barsby Stars Champ always seems to be the most overstable (relatively speaking) for me.

Yes - newer premium plastic Roadrunners do not start a true -4/1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
The couple of recent roadrunners I've bought recently have had a large amount of flashing on their bottoms. So much that you could nearly consider them a micro-bead by design. I sand them off with one pass of 120 grit paper followed by 400 grit. This flashing can cause the Roadrunners to fly surprisingly straight out of the box. Once I sanded them off, they fly true to their numbers. (350 foot power, throwing 60-70%, on consistent nose down and flat releases).
Hate to be that guy, but:

Roadrunners have always had a micro bead. Not denying yours may have had extra flashing but yes that bump is meant to be there.

Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2021, 12:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 191 Times in 131 Posts

That's very interesting! Either way I don't like how it feels in the hand, so I smooth it down, and they fly great.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2021, 01:02 PM
Size Queen

Niced 405 Times in 279 Posts

Yeah RR's do have a tiny microbead but likely flashing as well on top of that. I would be wary of removing the microbead myself and just in general for advice to others. You can't make a disc more stable (outside of some tuning, you can only do so much) and you could end up with a very flippy disc.

I did this myself a long time ago and ruined a RR, got too far into the bead not knowing it was suppose to be there. It ended up being garbage and I hated it. If it works for you thats cool though.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 43
Niced 1,774 Times in 882 Posts

I've gotten a couple of PMs already...no that Champ RR I just posted is NOT for sale. Sorry all!

Old 09-19-2021, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,868 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I've gotten a couple of PMs already...no that Champ RR I just posted is NOT for sale. Sorry all!
What champion RR? All I see is a stamp.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 76 Times in 64 Posts

I've had a somewhat gummy 162g Champ Roadrunner sitting around for a few years. I never clicked with the mold, but this specific disc always felt good so I kept it. I played a new course with water on it and didn't want to lose a disc in my bag, so I took it with me. It's pretty stable considering the weight and the mold, but it flew laser straight for me and never found the water. I still prefer Sidewinders, but good to know I can rely on it in a situation like this!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2021, 01:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,969 Times in 1,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
I've had a somewhat gummy 162g Champ Roadrunner sitting around for a few years. I never clicked with the mold, but this specific disc always felt good so I kept it. I played a new course with water on it and didn't want to lose a disc in my bag, so I took it with me. It's pretty stable considering the weight and the mold, but it flew laser straight for me and never found the water. I still prefer Sidewinders, but good to know I can rely on it in a situation like this!
Hey how you doin? Ha I like RR's, lots of good memories, I had one that I bought moving up from a leopard, thought very little of it when I moved up to a Surge, because you know 300'+ is 11 speed right? Played with my dog all the time with that 160 champ roadrunner, I threw every shot I could on the jobsite with him, BH/FH/Roller/Hammer. Damn if I didn't put that thing in my bag for a tournament. It's the only Innova disc I have a bit of occasional bag space for.

*gstar is sexy
Old 09-21-2021, 07:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,868 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
It's the only Innova disc I have a bit of occasional bag space for.

*gstar is sexy
That's just silly and gstar is gross.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,969 Times in 1,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
That's just silly and gstar is gross.
Ha! I really like it for wet weather and winter rounds, the extra flex is nice for digging my fingers in.. Just a fun flippy disc to throw...