Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 42.5
Courses Played: 156
Niced 115 Times in 57 Posts

From the where-are-they now department:

JKorver is now a competitive freestyler who is totally immersed and infatuated with the spinning bee. It's
great to have her in the jamily, and she very well could win a world title in Seattle in October.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,585 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
He won, and I saw him throw a couple of killer rollers. I was impressed, but several notches below blown away.
But he did it with an APX, cyclone, and comet
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,674 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
But he did it with an APX, cyclone, and comet
He was using a Magnet, but yeah. I remember watching him and Crazy John on a card at Mid Am or KCWO one year; Russell had the Magnet/Comet/Cyclones-thing going on, but I think he had a bag and multiples. Crazy John had an Aviar, two Rocs and a Viper, carried by hand along with a towel and a big red water jug. Between shots he sat on the water jug. His Viper was a KC Pro and where the Climo signature was he wrote "CRAZY" over it with a sharpie. Anyway, it was two of the best disc golfers in the World on one card in the late 90's; there were six molds total between the two of them.

Maybe it was Crazy John's personality with the big head of curly hair and his animated style + the weird water jug thing, but he was the guy we were watching. Ron Russell was just there. I think now if you go back and rank them, nobody would put Crazy in front of Russell. At the time we would have.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,963 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getty View Post
From the where-are-they now department:

JKorver is now a competitive freestyler who is totally immersed and infatuated with the spinning bee. It's
great to have her in the jamily, and she very well could win a world title in Seattle in October.
She won the WFDF Overall World Championship a month or so ago just down the road in Richmond.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

Maybe it was Crazy John's personality with the big head of curly hair and his animated style + the weird water jug thing, but he was the guy we were watching. Ron Russell was just there. I think now if you go back and rank them, nobody would put Crazy in front of Russell. At the time we would have.
I think we all did back then until 99.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I learned this a long time ago. I watched Scott Stokely play in his prime (late 90's) and was flat-out blown away. He was a walking, talking best shot video waiting to happen. I watched Ron Russell play, he was good. He won, and I saw him throw a couple of killer rollers. I was impressed, but several notches below blown away.

Russell won World's, Stokely didn't, and I'm not qualified to rank disc golfers.
Stokely was the most physically gifted player of the time by a long ways and one of the most physically gifted ever. World record distance both forehand and backhand with no one else all that close for a period of time. Analytics would have dictated he would win a bunch of world titles but he did not because Climo's mental toughness was unparalleled. If Ron's putter had not absolutely caught fire for a week in Rochester we would still think of Scott as the better golfer.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,057 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
She won the WFDF Overall World Championship a month or so ago just down the road in Richmond.
Just googled that, what an odd sport . . but Juliana sure can handle a disc
Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 335
Niced 636 Times in 308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Nikko above Doss/Wysocki? I'm struggling with that choice? He had two years where he was the best but still didn't win Worlds in that time, since then he's been all over the place.

Wisecup is one I've never got to see playing but again seems a bit of a stretch over 3 x Doss (in a far more competitive era,) Doss has been consistently at the top of the game for the best part of 18 years now and was the new youth that came through to end the old guards dominance.
yeah, i get that struggle. it's less of a stats thing and more of a skill ceiling, personality, and passion thing. i mean no disrespect to Doss, he's obviously very consistent but he doesn't blow you away. similar to what these guys were just saying about Stokely and Russell.

it's a bit of a hot take but Nikko is a 3x POTY, USDGC champ, and is capable of being the hottest thrower and putter any given day when he turns it on. not as consistent as Doss, no world titles like Doss and Ricky, but one of the most exciting players to watch when he's playing well, IMO.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m a big time basketball fan and these discussions remind me of the peak vs. longevity argument that always occur as well as the “it’s a different era” argument that happens with Wilt and Bill Russel and for DG, Climo and Shultz. Something a little different is how to weight a masters champions vs. a regular world championship.

I don’t know nearly enough about anything about the pros beyond 5 or so years ago but if I had to make a list, I’d start from this
MPO - Climo, Shultz, McBeth, Wysocki, Doss
FPO - Korver and Paige Pierce

Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 103
Niced 223 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
yeah, i get that struggle. it's less of a stats thing and more of a skill ceiling, personality, and passion thing. i mean no disrespect to Doss, he's obviously very consistent but he doesn't blow you away. similar to what these guys were just saying about Stokely and Russell.
Nikko's skill ceiling, personality, passion, excitement and capabilities are nice and all, but it's not quite Ivy League now is it?