Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 264
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 323 Times in 181 Posts

Do "I" need an over-stable approach disc?

"I" do, depending on the conditions that day and the course that I am playing.

I carry a Fossil Scale and a Fossil Gila, so depending on the distance and line I am envisioning I "may" choose one of these if the best option requires that kind of line or if the wind is bad.

"I" would prefer to go with a neutral disc on a straighter line, but that may not be "my" best option...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 398 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Do "I" need an over-stable approach disc?

"I" do, depending on the conditions that day and the course that I am playing.

I carry a Fossil Scale and a Fossil Gila, so depending on the distance and line I am envisioning I "may" choose one of these if the best option requires that kind of line or if the wind is bad.

"I" would prefer to go with a neutral disc on a straighter line, but that may not be "my" best option...

“You” sound like a guy who knows what “he” wants to do with “his” game.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 264
Niced 323 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
“You” sound like a guy who knows what “he” wants to do with “his” game.
I can envision what I want to do...

Actually executing the plan has become my biggest challenge,

I just don't play enough anymore...
I know what my discs should do...
I know I use to be able to make the shot...
Now actually making the shot...

Sometimes...
Occasionally...

Magic...

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 630 Times in 413 Posts

If I were to sit down and list my "slots" that I want covered in a bag to play a course blind, "FH upshot disc" is right up there next to "circle putter."

It seems to me like that little 100' chip shot (for me) requires a little more specialization - something comfortable that releases cleanly, with enough stability to iron out a little OAT, without too much glide or movement in the air or ground play. A Zone or the like is exactly all of that. Sometimes a Zone gets away from me in fact, but it is so much more comfortable and releases so much more cleanly than the other options that it's hard to say no.

If I were to be without it, I would probably be attempting these kind of shots with an OS mid, which are great (love the mortar) but sometimes fade and skip a little more than is ideal. Actually a GStar Mortar comes close to simply making the true OS approach disc slot obsolete.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 62 Times in 49 Posts

I carry a Berg for short approach shots, a Harp for longer shots, and a Felon for shots that need to skip.

Picture

Last week I used my Felon to convert this bad drive [spike backhand anhyzer] into a par save with a well-executed forehand.

Last edited by Odedge; 10-27-2020 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Image won't display.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 182
Niced 1,063 Times in 461 Posts

I was in the same boat as the OP. Never really threw an overstable approach disc in my bag. Id have a rhyno every once and a while but it was never OS enough for me. Then Id carry a gator for a while but it quickly got overtaken by the firebird. After years of hoping innova would come out with something great for an OS approach disc I finally just throw a zone in the bag and its been transformative. Its almost exactly what I have been looking for. You can easily get by without it but it does make life a lot easier.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 49
Niced 939 Times in 634 Posts

I have carried them often. I find I rarely use them. I almost never have enough room on the right to let them work. Because of that, I am simply not as good at that type of approach as I am with the dead straight or nose up anny shot with a Pure or similar disc.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 182
Niced 1,063 Times in 461 Posts

The Zone for me also filled this hole in my game and discs. I have been searching for years for a meathook roc and I have never found anything close. I also tried every OS putter and mid from innova to fill this hole and have never found anything. The Zone is that meathook roc I have been looking for and an OS putter. Its a good go between of mid and putter. Its faster then the putter slot I was looking to fill and slower then the roc spot I was looking to fill, so it works out pretty well.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 88
Niced 505 Times in 268 Posts

Overstable utility mid is one of my most-thrown molds. I use it so often I carry two of them. A glow gator that is crazy overstable with skip, and a JB Zone that is more mildly overstable and hits/sticks.

But, I wouldn't say I "need" one. If I'm building a minimalist bag, I wouldn't add an overstable utility mid until I get up to 9 or 10 discs. Less than that, and I would just use a Firebird to cover a wider range of distances. And I pretty much always carry a Firebird (or equivalent), even with a very minimal bag.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,587 Times in 793 Posts

Is a breaker 'overstable'? I find them to have a bit more fade than a Steady but slightly more torque/wind resistant. But I find a Zone to be much too overstable and glideless for my liking.

I definitely don't need one, but whether you do or not is subjective. I could absolutely forehand approach with normal putters or even a comet - and I prefer forehand approaches when I can throw them - but a tool that can make your objective easier is a good tool.