Old 10-30-2020, 03:43 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 395 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Cryztal FLX plastic is usually super gummy. I have a cryztal FLX Nuke, and its almost floppy. Not a good flier either. Super flat, glideless, and VERY overstable. Probably the most overstable Nuke I've ever seen.

Z FLX plastic isn't my favorite stuff. Too overstable and floppy. It usually doesn't glide well.

My only experience is with the Zone in the Cryztal FLX plastic and I definitely agree with your assessment of the plastic. Mine are soft and gummy and almost kind of floppy for lack of a better description.

Probably the characteristics that make it unappealing as a driver plastic make it wonderful for the Zone. Mine are plenty stable, don’t really glide, and pretty much always stick the landing with little to no ground play.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-30-2020, 03:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
My only experience is with the Zone in the Cryztal FLX plastic and I definitely agree with your assessment of the plastic. Mine are soft and gummy and almost kind of floppy for lack of a better description.

Probably the characteristics that make it unappealing as a driver plastic make it wonderful for the Zone. Mine are plenty stable, don’t really glide, and pretty much always stick the landing with little to no ground play.
Yeah what he said. I prefer the plastic in zone's, but I have gotten a few bad rolls. That was due to my nose angle and the green than the disc.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,661 Times in 795 Posts

I'd agree with the 2 posts above. It's a great plastic for something like a Zone. Drivers, not so much. It's what I've been bagging all year. Love it.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 978 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post

Yeah. With Zones I want glideless and overstable. I'm still just not a huge fan of throwing floppy/gummy discs. Its like the disc bends/moves as I throw, and I get bad releases. The Zone in my bag is fairly stiff regular Z. I like it a lot. The disc is almost ruthlessly overstable, and it dies instantly when it hits the ground.

I've thrown a Z FLX Crank and Heat and liked both. Everything related to Nukes (Nuke, Nuke SS) that I've thrown in Z FLX stunk.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:07 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

Cool, it sounds like it will be a great compliment to by beefy/skippy zone. Need something a little stickier, but can penetrate more than my Berg.
I can imagine FLX plastic would be weird for any driver molds... Maybe unless you're in frigid temps?
Old 10-30-2020, 09:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 395 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'm still just not a huge fan of throwing floppy/gummy discs. Its like the disc bends/moves as I throw, and I get bad releases.
I had a long term love affair with a BT soft Harp before moving to the Zone so I felt right at home with a floppy approach disc.

Lucky me.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 359 Times in 222 Posts

I had always heard Cryztal Flx was glideless turd, like throwing bricks, better suited to vandalism than disc golf.

Never found out for myself tho.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,534 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
Cool, it sounds like it will be a great compliment to by beefy/skippy zone. Need something a little stickier, but can penetrate more than my Berg.
I can imagine FLX plastic would be weird for any driver molds... Maybe unless you're in frigid temps?
Drivers would probably come out like the Fluid/Elasto plastics that the trilogy brands had. I liked them for the most part, but some molds did get really domey.

Overall they must not have been popular since they only ran them for around a year.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:41 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

Alright, I finally have the disc in my hands! It feels fantastic actually. Very much Jolly Rancher-like. It's gummy, but not floppy at all. Slightly puddle-top Zone with excellent grip, and very little ground play...
Not plastic I'd want for drivers, but works PERFECT for approach discs. Highly recommend.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,522 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
Alright, I finally have the disc in my hands! It feels fantastic actually. Very much Jolly Rancher-like. It's gummy, but not floppy at all. Slightly puddle-top Zone with excellent grip, and very little ground play...
Not plastic I'd want for drivers, but works PERFECT for approach discs. Highly recommend.
Zackly! I bag one flx disc and it's a Zone.