Old 02-04-2018, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,653 Times in 917 Posts
Default Strong tail wind test, curious results?

So yesterday doing some strong tail wind field work, my bud was throwing his Ballistas to 400ft+ effortlessly. So I had him try my 148-160 Terns in the same conditions thinking they were going to bomb...but they actually went typically 50ft shorter. We repeated the test several times to make sure. And no, the Terns were not turning over, rolling, etc. Any insight would be appreciated. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 633
Niced 2,754 Times in 1,546 Posts

well its innova which doesnt have that sweet sweedish glide which is giving you max d

Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

Were his Ballistas going farther/shorter or the same as when he throws in a calm conditions? Also was he throwing high distance type lines, anny bombs, or line drives?

If it's a medium to heavy tail wind I just lose distance with all of my high speed stuff, my glidey fairways pick up distance, and my putters/mids pick up distance. If it's extremely heavy tailwind then even my fairways get knocked down early.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 178
Niced 265 Times in 130 Posts

User error... ? My StarLite 159 Tern with tailwind is almost unbeatable vs any other mold or manufacturer.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 414 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If it's a medium to heavy tail wind I just lose distance with all of my high speed stuff, my glidey fairways pick up distance, and my putters/mids pick up distance. If it's extremely heavy tailwind then even my fairways get knocked down early.
This all makes sense.. they all 'slow down', and yet.. get pushed.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

For an example of the above idea (slower getting better glide), I have hit 100 yard field goals with an Ultimate Lid in some extreme Oklahoma tailwinds (winds around 20mph with 35ish gusts).

If you give a putter some height and keep the nose angle down while doing it, you can easily see 350' glides. I had a stiff tailwind from the south this last Friday afternoon and put a putter 10' from the basket on a slightly downhill 330' hole. For reference, I normally throw a Roc3 in low to no wind conditions, and I throw a t-bird at 80% or so on this hole with some reasonable headwind, and a XXX low with full power into a stiff headwind (it's a RHBH hyzer finish on a very thin peninsula with deep water on all three sides and about 80' away from the body of land).

It's really surprising how much distance you can get out of a much slower disc with huge tailwinds, so much so that sometimes they get away from you. The good thing is that they don't dump hyzer out or skid/skip too much once they get down.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 1,072 Times in 504 Posts

My longest throw ever wasn't with a distance driver or fast fairway, but with a River. 25 mph winds with 30 mph gusts, and a 460' open hole. Gave it some hyzer, let it turn over, and off it went...and went...and went...

Ended up pin high, 40' left of the hole. Don't think I would have made it all the way there with a faster disc.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 592 Times in 235 Posts

Total guess: ballista has a lower speed at which LSS kicks in? Once a driver hits its LSS range, it fades hard and fast.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 974 Times in 752 Posts

Every tail wind is different. Sometimes you'll instantly gain 50' and everything will bomb. Other times the wind will seem to knock the discs straight down to the ground. I just got done playing in some horrible wind and had some interesting results throwing into it. I threw a Mamba and Shryke with the wind straight at my back. Neither disc did great. They didn't flex and seemed to stall. A Torrent throw with the same wind got pushed into the ground and finished way short.

Here's where things got interesting. On one hole I threw an XCaliber with the wind at my back going slightly right to left. The XCal went high and the wind caught the underside of it big time. It ended up a solid 100' further than where I wanted it.

With tailwinds you need to throw the disc somewhat high so the wind catches the underside of the disc. Without that, they won't glide well.

One other mystifying throw was with a star Destroyer. The wind was blowing hard L-R. I threw it high with some anny. Disc SOARED. I mean, it caught a wind tunnel and went 100' further than usual on a ridiculous anny line and finished way right. It ended up being a poor shot, but a very, very long one.

There are no absolutes when throwing into wind. I also tried a 175 Champion Teebird into a good headwind and it flipped bad. I was surprised at that.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 592 Times in 235 Posts

Non-tailwind related insane wind story:

I played a doubles tournament at a couple of the more scenic mountain courses up here in Colorado this last spring: Hi View in Pine, CO.

Threw a very high turnover into a left to right wind that was starting to push into a headwind. First time it worked gloriously, gaining massive uphill distance - rising with the wind current and flexing up the hill giving us the only look for 2 on our card.

Next time I throw the same shot on a similar hole, the disc goes out about 350' flexing up and to the right on anhyzer, and this is when the flight gets weird.

Wind goes into an updraft, carrying the disc straight up in the air... 30', 50', 100' STRAIGHT UP! We're all standing there dumbfounded and I'm thinking I'll never see my Wraith again as we're on the side of a mountain and trees are everywhere.

The disc stalls completely at the top of the updraft and appears to be heading right back towards the tee pad. It's zinging right towards us on a frozen rope like somebody shot it out of a cannon at us! I realize this Wraith is doing full bore right at our group and I start high stepping out of the tee box area at full speed, and the disc augers into the dirt about 15' in front of the tee box.

Not sure I've ever laughed harder during a round, but needless to say - we used my partners drive.

Last edited by HyzerUniBomber; 02-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.