Old 10-01-2020, 09:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 372 Times in 169 Posts
Default Open plant correction

I filmed myself today for the first time in a bit and I noticed I have developed an open plant. Are there any good drills to fix this? I am worried about hurting myself if I just try to force it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 176 Times in 103 Posts

Crush the can.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-01-2020, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,092 Times in 2,480 Posts

Are you referring about how far you are turned back, or stance stagger left/right?

Either way really depends on your body and flexibility and stride length and is mainly an issue if the rest of your body is not landing in dynamic alignment to your foot and swing. Easy way to tell is if you finish in effortless balance on front leg.

Front foot can almost plant at any turn/clock angle relative to target, as long as the rest of the body is landing in dynamic alignment to the foot and swing and don't get stuck on back foot. If foot is turned back more than 90, foot/feet will likely need to start pivoting before release like Olympic hammer thrower.

The more turned forward to target or staggered open, the less backswing space to turn back and create longer swing/acceleration. If you don't turn back far, you will be in very wide rail appearance like Paul most of the time, if you turn back far enough your same wide rail will appear straight back, or even further to right tee behind if you are really flexible like Paige or Will and appear to rounding(but not hugging). Typically the more open you plant the harder/quicker you will brace up or collapse and more violent.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-02-2020, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 372 Times in 169 Posts

My plant foot was pointing more towards more target, as opposed to being 90 degrees from it. I am shorter (5'9"), not very flexible, and take too long of a last step. So you are saying that might not be a problem as long as the rest of my body is doing the appropriate actions? Sorry, sometimes I don't think I am smart enough to fully interpret what you are saying and I fully mean that as a shot at me and not you. I wish I could understand the throw at the level that you do.

Niced: (1)