#111  
Old 09-16-2020, 02:17 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Look What I Can Do! Newbie Posing as Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 757
Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
"Rotators are the ones leaving the most left on the table"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIQjrxfIm_Q&t=2m55s
I wish I could have that 9:00 back. I've been to a lot of pitching clinics over the years and mostly they just like to talk. When all my son's friends were getting fancy pitching lessons by pros me and my son would just go out and throw, and throw, and throw. His sophomore year in high school he was the best varsity pitcher in his conference (about 20 high schools). The point being I guess is that while everyone else were getting fancy lessons and breaking mechanics down to the micro level my son was just throwing and doing it naturally.

When I go out and throw I methodically analyze in my mind every throw and what I felt and how the disc flew. When it feels right and the disc goes far and looks good I say" I'm gonna do that again". One of my favorite drills is getting my most overstable disc and trying to throw it for the longest flight before it hyzers out. My longest flight with that disc is 305 feet. I may be flying open, staying closed, etc, yeah, I'm trying different things all the time when something comes to my mind. But, inevitably, I always find myself returning to what feels good. Feeling my body rotate feels good. And now that my muscle groups are getting conditioned better, that rotation is more snappy and the release feels more powerful. I honestly don't feel a linear feel so much as I feel a slow coil up and then a slow to fast uncoil.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 09-16-2020, 02:22 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Look What I Can Do! Newbie Posing as Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 757
Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
Filed under advice to follow if you aren’t seeking good backhand form.
Well, you don't have to take my advice, it's a free world.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 09-16-2020, 03:02 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Posts: 16,930
Niced 4,099 Times in 2,486 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I wish I could have that 9:00 back. I've been to a lot of pitching clinics over the years and mostly they just like to talk. When all my son's friends were getting fancy pitching lessons by pros me and my son would just go out and throw, and throw, and throw. His sophomore year in high school he was the best varsity pitcher in his conference (about 20 high schools). The point being I guess is that while everyone else were getting fancy lessons and breaking mechanics down to the micro level my son was just throwing and doing it naturally.

When I go out and throw I methodically analyze in my mind every throw and what I felt and how the disc flew. When it feels right and the disc goes far and looks good I say" I'm gonna do that again". One of my favorite drills is getting my most overstable disc and trying to throw it for the longest flight before it hyzers out. My longest flight with that disc is 305 feet. I may be flying open, staying closed, etc, yeah, I'm trying different things all the time when something comes to my mind. But, inevitably, I always find myself returning to what feels good. Feeling my body rotate feels good. And now that my muscle groups are getting conditioned better, that rotation is more snappy and the release feels more powerful. I honestly don't feel a linear feel so much as I feel a slow coil up and then a slow to fast uncoil.
So because digging it out in the dirt worked anecdotally for your son, it should theoretically work for everyone?

I used to do exactly what you are doing, however nothing felt good, led to injuries. I had to take the opposite approach.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-16-2020, 03:17 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Look What I Can Do! Newbie Posing as Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 757
Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
So because digging it out in the dirt worked anecdotally for your son, it should theoretically work for everyone?

I used to do exactly what you are doing, however nothing felt good, led to injuries. I had to take the opposite approach.
As a blessing, I did everything wrong from my right side which led to injury. My experience with baseball as a coach led me to try LHBH and I equated it naturally to a baseball swing. It just felt natural. With a baseball swing its all about loading up, cocking the hip and then powerfully rotating that hip and bracing and pulling the arms through or having them pulled through by torso rotation. The key for my learning was the knowledge of how the rear hip works to initiate rotation. This video explains it really well.
https://youtu.be/dkYc0PKDmMI
If you watch disc golf pros in slow motion you can see the same exact hip flexor and glutimus muscles begin that powerful rotation, just like a baseball swing. I believe that's why I picked up on it so quickly and made substantial distance gains right off.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09-16-2020, 03:20 AM
wolfhaley's Avatar
wolfhaley wolfhaley is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: WI
Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,925
Niced 1,656 Times in 791 Posts
Default

Somebody's opinions in this thread have the smell of a rodeo.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 AM
timothy42b timothy42b is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 212
Niced 22 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
So because digging it out in the dirt worked anecdotally for your son, it should theoretically work for everyone?

I used to do exactly what you are doing, however nothing felt good, led to injuries. I had to take the opposite approach.
We have this argument continually on the music forums.

Most of the best world class performers are naturals. They don't know mechanics at a level of detail, and what they think they do is often not what really happens. They teach the way they learned, sort of an "inner tennis" approach, and their students who are also naturals do brilliantly.

And I believe some of us are neurologically hard wired to not learn that way. We have to dig into mechanics and technique at detailed level to improve. I didn't make any progress at playing trombone until I found a teacher who taught with that approach.

Bertholy (Golf Swing Construction 101) believed that children should all be taught as naturals but adults lose the ability to learn that way.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:38 AM
RowingBoats's Avatar
RowingBoats RowingBoats is online now
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 152
Niced 89 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I wish I could have that 9:00 back. I've been to a lot of pitching clinics over the years and mostly they just like to talk. When all my son's friends were getting fancy pitching lessons by pros me and my son would just go out and throw, and throw, and throw. His sophomore year in high school he was the best varsity pitcher in his conference (about 20 high schools). The point being I guess is that while everyone else were getting fancy lessons and breaking mechanics down to the micro level my son was just throwing and doing it naturally.

When I go out and throw I methodically analyze in my mind every throw and what I felt and how the disc flew. When it feels right and the disc goes far and looks good I say" I'm gonna do that again". One of my favorite drills is getting my most overstable disc and trying to throw it for the longest flight before it hyzers out. My longest flight with that disc is 305 feet. I may be flying open, staying closed, etc, yeah, I'm trying different things all the time when something comes to my mind. But, inevitably, I always find myself returning to what feels good. Feeling my body rotate feels good. And now that my muscle groups are getting conditioned better, that rotation is more snappy and the release feels more powerful. I honestly don't feel a linear feel so much as I feel a slow coil up and then a slow to fast uncoil.
No one is arguing with you about the concept of becoming mediocre using the strategy you describe. No one will doubt that your son became a mediocre pitcher in the same way. Where is your son's pitching career now? Where are the kids' careers who studied and listened to proven professional methods?

What are you even trying to convey here? That you have the freedom to throw your own way? Everyone agrees with this. Nothing you say ever lends any credibility to you having the best method of throwing or learning or even conceptualizing this process mentally though.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Look What I Can Do! Newbie Posing as Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 757
Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
No one is arguing with you about the concept of becoming mediocre using the strategy you describe. No one will doubt that your son became a mediocre pitcher in the same way. Where is your son's pitching career now? Where are the kids' careers who studied and listened to proven professional methods?

What are you even trying to convey here? That you have the freedom to throw your own way? Everyone agrees with this. Nothing you say ever lends any credibility to you having the best method of throwing or learning or even conceptualizing this process mentally though.
I'm not even willing to discuss with you calling my son a mediocre pitcher. Good day.
You have no idea.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:22 PM
RocHucker RocHucker is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 102
Niced 31 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Guys, no need to make personal attacks against Rodeo. He has shared his own feelings on the throw, and that following those feelings is allowing him to max distance at somewhere south of 400ft. If he's happy with that, that's fine. Let's keep it civil.

Personally I'm hoping to reach the 450ft+ that I'm pretty confident that my body is physically capable of right now if I were to have better technique, which is why I'm soliciting advice from people who have technique that gets them there (and beyond). There has been some solid discussion in this thread about ways to try to get there, and hopefully some of it will trigger an "aha" moment for me.

As always, I appreciate the knowledgeable and freely given advice from those who are throwing further than me (special shoutout to the sheer volume of content that crushers like SW22 and HUB create on here), and even the discussion from those who aren't necessarily crushers but whose posts might be inspiring those in the know to communicate in a slightly new way that might trigger a greater understanding for me.

Reply With Quote
 

  #120  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:25 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Posts: 16,930
Niced 4,099 Times in 2,486 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
It's sad to me to see people try to compare golf swing mechanics to disc golf throw mechanics. They are similar in some respects but totally different where it matters. The way in which the hips rotate or clear is different for a golf swing versus a disc release. They are on two totally different planes and axis. Up to down is different than side to side. The way in which the hips rotate or clear is different mechanics for each. So is the footing, the step or stance, the backswing, the follow through, etc. Even the brace is different. It's also why being good with a golf swing for distance doesn't translate to being good with a disc release for distance.
Milo was former baseball player turned golf instructor and smasher and would disagree with you. Athletic motion is basically all the same, just tasked to using different tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wVTSrjkFm4&t=1m30s










Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifting from behind/Bracing/Getting on top of the front leg Question DustBorne Technique & Strategy 4 08-08-2019 03:05 PM
Hammer drill question Kattrax Technique & Strategy 7 01-18-2018 04:29 PM
Right Pec drill question Nold Technique & Strategy 7 08-15-2013 01:07 PM
Right pec drill question ertai Technique & Strategy 2 07-24-2013 01:28 AM
right pec drill question jspector Technique & Strategy 17 02-10-2013 09:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.