#31  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 AM
biscoe biscoe is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 7,197
Niced 2,986 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

IMO this trend has likely peaked and will do nothing but decline as more attractive properties become available to exclusive disc golf usage. Disc golf has never been able to pick and choose but that time is coming (and Covid has moved the timeline forward).
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,860
Niced 321 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
IMO this trend has likely peaked and will do nothing but decline as more attractive properties become available to exclusive disc golf usage. Disc golf has never been able to pick and choose but that time is coming (and Covid has moved the timeline forward).
Do you think that will be happening in the private or public sector ? Single course layouts or multi-course complexes ?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-16-2020, 01:39 PM
Karl Karl is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 953
Niced 233 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Do you think that will be happening in the private or public sector ? Single course layouts or multi-course complexes ?
Private (more so than the private : public ratio is now) and "however much land the entity has to dedicate to it". Twenty plus years ago I thought 'free' was great, but times change - as do people's expectations - and IMO "pay to play" has more potential to produce better courses.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-16-2020, 02:20 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Tiny White Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 374
Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The original "you wouldn't want this to be your home course" design is Winthrop Gold and so far as Pro events go you see the influence on those courses, but for practical day-to-day play course those design elements are not super common. It's more of the influence those things have on tournament set-ups and the need to "trick out" a course for a C tier that confuses me.

In 2010 GDS was paid to design our local course (Lion's Club DGC) and the point of the design was for it to be a tournament design. It's supposed to be a ready-to-go B tier course, and really it IS a ready-to-go B tier course. 950-rated guys throw at best mid-50's rounds on it when it's used as-is.

It's almost never used as-is, though.

There is always this need to move holes around and add some "tricked out" element to the course for a C-tier. It doesn't need it; the course is tournament-ready. Put the baskets in the all-long positions and you are done. The regular holes were designed by a guy who installed dozens of courses. The "tricked out" holes are designed by local guys going "I know, lets make everybody try to hit this 20 foot wide strip of a fairway on a 600' hole." They are never an improvement.

People seem to like 600' holes with a 20' wide strip of mowed grass between a pond and deep shule, though. When we played it I thought it was stupid, but people still talk about it and want to set it up so they can throw it again so what do I know?
I have recently given up on my local club for the very same reasons. They always try to trick up every course when it comes to tourneys. Usually the changes are done the night before the tourney, which is what really gets me irked, no chance to practice or properly prepare, which in turn de legitimizes the event in my mind. I have less issue if the changes were done at the beginning of the week, but the surprises are enough for me to lose my desire to play. I still help out the club, donate, etc. but way less than i did in the past. I was also a big part of the "they", but won't be for the most part going forward. Makes me sad, but tourneys and leagues are a big part of why I play and if you ruin them for me, I don't have much reason to do much else.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,937
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I have recently given up on my local club for the very same reasons. They always try to trick up every course when it comes to tourneys. Usually the changes are done the night before the tourney, which is what really gets me irked, no chance to practice or properly prepare, which in turn de legitimizes the event in my mind. I have less issue if the changes were done at the beginning of the week, but the surprises are enough for me to lose my desire to play. I still help out the club, donate, etc. but way less than i did in the past. I was also a big part of the "they", but won't be for the most part going forward. Makes me sad, but tourneys and leagues are a big part of why I play and if you ruin them for me, I don't have much reason to do much else.
Our club is having a flex start event this weekend and I was planning on playing UNTIL I saw the call for baskets on Facebook. They are going to add holes, which means longer rounds and stupid holes. I'm out.

I appear to be in the minority here, though. People seem to love to play five-hour rounds.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-16-2020, 05:53 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 539
Niced 438 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Our club is having a flex start event this weekend and I was planning on playing UNTIL I saw the call for baskets on Facebook. They are going to add holes, which means longer rounds and stupid holes. I'm out.

I appear to be in the minority here, though. People seem to love to play five-hour rounds.
they are asking for additional baskets so they can "trick out" the course?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,937
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
they are asking for additional baskets so they can "trick out" the course?
This time they aren't doing anything to the course except adding holes. Adding additional holes might fall under "trick out" or it might not depending on how you define it. Sometimes we have added holes simply to be able to extend the field and let more people play, so the intent really wasn't there to "trick out" the course. In this case with the flex starting times they didn't need the extra holes to be able to extend the field, they are doing it because they think it makes the event more fun. A lot of people seem to agree with that and they keep doing it, but to me the extra holes are pretty dumb. There are one or two that are decent, the rest are contrived/gimmicky shots or just really long for the sake of being really long. There is a lot of use of artificial O.B. because roads and sidewalks come into play. They tend not to be marked well, the ground rules are not well understood, and they don't flow well so you add a lot of wandering around time to the round. I fail to see what they really add quality-wise to the event; we have a very good 18-hole course. To me the events run easier when we just play the course we know, but the club wants to add something "special" to the event. I don't really fault them for trying to do something special, I just think the whole thing falls flat. It's a lot of work just to make a round of disc golf worse.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,354
Niced 1,668 Times in 923 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
This time they aren't doing anything to the course except adding holes.
Popular event, more holes = more players = more money for the club?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:13 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,108
Niced 187 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I just started watching the pro tournaments, and no I don't like the trend. The overuse of artificial OB, even in wooded courses seems overly punitive and is something I just don't understand.
Player skill levels have increased rapidly the last 5 years. With the basket remaining the same size from the 70's, in fact it has gotten bigger. So to make scores higher they add artificial OB everywhere, raised baskets, place baskets on mounds or simply course designers make ridiculously narrow "fairways" through the woods. Even the pro commentators say well you through it through this gap and hope to miss this tree (in the middle). Then they place raised baskets 5 feet from OB as well. All silliness that isn't needed if the baskets were properly sized for the skill level of current players.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:17 PM
biscoe biscoe is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 7,197
Niced 2,986 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Do you think that will be happening in the private or public sector ? Single course layouts or multi-course complexes ?
Private without a doubt. There will be some single course spots but multi-course complexes are going to be popping up more and more often. In general if you have the resources for one premium course a second does not cost much more. Baskets are going in on the second course at Raptor's Roost on Friday or Saturday.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So lets talk about Kansas City. BigGAC1 Disc Golf Courses 13 04-08-2014 11:12 PM
Lets talk combo!!! Ordered Chaos Discs 70 10-01-2010 05:06 AM
lets talk distance ChronoDisc Discs 49 06-03-2009 02:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.