Old 09-13-2020, 01:09 AM

Niced 54 Times in 13 Posts
Default Huge Breakthrough and Thank You

After reading quite a few posts and watching lots of videos I was able to have a huge breakthrough today. Big thanks to sidewinders and heavydisc, the way you explain things really helped things click.

Long story short I have been playing for a long time on and off and have been able to throw pretty far for your average player, measuring around 420 to 440 feet on a max d throw but I knew I should be capable of more. I was able to finally figure out a proper brace today and just doing that seemed to align my kinematics much more properly. I was able to throw my midrange (M3) 388 feet on a hyzer with a slight flip up measured on UDisc, which was completely impossible before.

Here was how I was throwing (disgusted with my form I kept tweaking until I got it)

https://youtu.be/x03jo0_xf1U

About 30 minutes of frustration (and lots of filming and critiquing) and disgust later, I felt “it” trying to throw the disc somewhat like a hockey shot and it clicked. After figuring out how to brace and use that force into the disc I noticed my disc rocketed much faster out of my hand and flew so much faster than ever before. This shot went about 90 feet further than I ever threw a midrange before and I could see the disc was propelled much different speed wise. My mind was absolutely blown and I am one happy camper.

https://youtu.be/Q27_TzFXpME

Still far from perfect but I am super pumped. Any critique is welcome on the second throw, always looking to improve. CanÂ’t wait to see how far I can get a high speed disc!

Again, you guys are awesome for all these helpful posts! Just wanted to share and thank everyone for all the knowledge on this forum. 😁

Dan
Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts

Good post. I’m waiting for my breakthrough to only throw 420!

I know it’s in those same instructional vids. Somewhere. But I still get baby steps now and then when something clicks.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,031 Times in 471 Posts

So what were some of the things you learned to get you to this point?

And congrats on your breakthrough!
Old 09-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 33 Posts

Your second throw looks really nice. Great job.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:52 AM

Thanks guys!

Juan, for me I felt like I was doing everything right until I filmed myself from that sideways angle. I always filmed from behind and that never helped me quite the same.

From that angle I could see my hips opening up forcing my shoulders open and my weight being so far forward from my complete lack of a brace. This forced me to think of how to brace. Heavydisc has a great video on this: https://youtu.be/ggZQq_P8gcI

I have always worked on my form for accuracy and mimicking top pros from a behind the player view not from a side angle so I thought I had decent form from that. Now that I see the side view the one thing I changed that made everything work for me was using my legs differently.

Try pushing off your back leg as soon as your toes on the plant leg touch the ground and shove your knee (left knee) into the back of your plant foot leg (Right leg). Try to get your left foot off the ground when you do this, it will force you into a new position. Imagine a hockey player and how their foot comes up, or watch Eagle or Kevin Jones throw (their foot is more pronounced). I physically couldn’t move forward, it forced me into a brace and felt super easy, the momentum had nowhere to go but zooming out of my arm. Watch my back leg on both and hopefully you see it. I could put a ton of momentum into my run up and then as soon as my toe touches the ground I would force my left knee into my right hamstrings (doing this is that activation of your hips, they must rotate) and then I just pull through like normal for me and it forced my shoulders to track with my head. It felt so easy compared to what I was doing.

Sorry for the long post, I geek out on mechanics 😬 hopefully that is something you can try with your legs. It will feel weird as can be but that’s just what I needed, using my legs in a new way.

Dan

Old 09-14-2020, 05:43 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 226 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashblastx View Post
Thanks guys!

Juan, for me I felt like I was doing everything right until I filmed myself from that sideways angle. I always filmed from behind and that never helped me quite the same.

From that angle I could see my hips opening up forcing my shoulders open and my weight being so far forward from my complete lack of a brace. This forced me to think of how to brace. Heavydisc has a great video on this: https://youtu.be/ggZQq_P8gcI

I have always worked on my form for accuracy and mimicking top pros from a behind the player view not from a side angle so I thought I had decent form from that. Now that I see the side view the one thing I changed that made everything work for me was using my legs differently.

Try pushing off your back leg as soon as your toes on the plant leg touch the ground and shove your knee (left knee) into the back of your plant foot leg (Right leg). Try to get your left foot off the ground when you do this, it will force you into a new position. Imagine a hockey player and how their foot comes up, or watch Eagle or Kevin Jones throw (their foot is more pronounced). I physically couldn’t move forward, it forced me into a brace and felt super easy, the momentum had nowhere to go but zooming out of my arm. Watch my back leg on both and hopefully you see it. I could put a ton of momentum into my run up and then as soon as my toe touches the ground I would force my left knee into my right hamstrings (doing this is that activation of your hips, they must rotate) and then I just pull through like normal for me and it forced my shoulders to track with my head. It felt so easy compared to what I was doing.

Sorry for the long post, I geek out on mechanics 😬 hopefully that is something you can try with your legs. It will feel weird as can be but that’s just what I needed, using my legs in a new way.

Dan
I feel sure that this is part of the problem for me. I can hit 340' from a standstill but the run up typically only adds 40' and both types of shot are really inconsistent for me. I definitely need to work on getting the brace right (among other things of course) but haven't seen the right description. Your description is potentially what I need, thanks.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 31 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Try pushing off your back leg as soon as your toes on the plant leg touch the ground and shove your knee (left knee) into the back of your plant foot leg (Right leg).
Congrats on the breakthrough, that's really exciting! I'm still trying to find that "aha!" moment.

Is the feeling of the hip rotation like you're driving your rear knee FORWARD or that you're driving your rear knee DOWN?
Old 09-19-2020, 12:40 AM

Rochucker,

I would say it mostly feels like you’re driving forward more than down. That dropped knee that you see is just something that happens from pushing all your momentum forward. I would say your hips rotate at that beginning of the throw (because of rotating to reach back or “leave the disc behind”) but think of less hip rotation and more diving into your plant foot. Sounds weird but it worked for me, it’s more of a push forward, brace, and let your disc come through and open everything up (hips, shoulders).

Watch what Eagle is doing for a warm up at 17 secs here: https://youtu.be/WlBOgFwPNQ8

To figure out the brace I did my same movement with my x-step and reach back but did that side to side movement instead of twisting my body. Felt weird but it’s what the movement is. Instead of twisting the hips, the pushing forward of momentum through your entire body (generated and braced by your legs!) is what generates power, braces, and helps your center of gravity. Try jumping side to side and then just throw the disc. Be athletic, you shouldn’t be falling over your plant foot and it should feel different. Do your normal run up and then repeat, hopefully it works! 😃

Thanks again everybody!

Dan

Old 09-20-2020, 02:51 PM

I did it boys.

Broke the 500 barrier. Can definitely see my form breaking down with the added power but excited to work on things and get to where I want, but pumped on this. Much harder to stay balanced and maintain center of gravity with a larger reach back. Also I can turn my hips more before my plant foot comes down for more rotation and to help my right foot brace better. It’s slightly externally rotated opening my hips too much during my brace.

549 foot throw.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:39 PM

Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
I did it boys.

Broke the 500 barrier. Can definitely see my form breaking down with the added power but excited to work on things and get to where I want, but pumped on this. Much harder to stay balanced and maintain center of gravity with a larger reach back. Also I can turn my hips more before my plant foot comes down for more rotation and to help my right foot brace better. It’s slightly externally rotated opening my hips too much during my brace.

549 foot throw.

Oh how I envy you. I've been chasing the same result for a long time now. Congrats man!

I know that you've already described what made it click for you, but is there any chance you can describe it again? In other words perhaps? I hope to finally have the same breakthrough as you some day. I've never played hockey, so I unfortunately can't think of it like a hockey shot. And doing the jumps that Eagle is doing is easy as long as I'm not throwing. I tend to fall through the brace when I throw and max out at about 420-450.