Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 81 Times in 53 Posts
Smile Traveling to a tournament - Practice Round(s)

I am registered to play my first tournament out of state and it is at a course I have never played before. I plan on arriving two days prior to the tournament to get a walk through and a practice round in. However I was curious if those of you who travel to tournaments regularly have a normal routine or things you do when you're playing a practice round for a course you've never played before. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 182 Posts

There is a lot of good information on this thread that I recommend.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=27231

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,530 Times in 1,572 Posts

I find it depends on time and how crowded the course is. If you are very short on time, walking the course backwards always seems to give me a good picture of the course.

I try to play the course, take notes. Write down a game plan for each hole. Maybe disc selections, landing zones, strategies to go for birdie or par, unseen or unpredictable hazards, tree or aiming objects for throws (to set up optimal shots from there). I enjoy playing these rounds with other players of like skill level. Often the conversation about the course can be valuable, they often see things and see strategies that you might not. I try to find a good parking spot during practice rounds. Something with shade and a little room to set up a chair for lunch.

I try to envision the difference that might be presented, dependent upon the weather prediction.

I also use the rounds (at Worlds, this is often several courses) to determine whether I should use a cart, what footwear would be appropriate, does the poison ivy necessitate long pants, is it a 1 motrin course, 2 mortrin course....

I have even put directions to the course in my notes. If there is a trick in navigation, I don't want to be fouled up on tournament round days.

Some of these are small things, but I always feel that, the less left to game day, the better.

Good luck and have fun.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 279 Times in 166 Posts

#1 piece of advice!!!! Contact the TD to see if the course is set up for the tournament. A-level ones have to be set up in advance, but B and lower can be set up the day of the tournament....so you may not be playing the actual layout in the days before the tournament.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,653 Times in 917 Posts

If you only have time for 1 round I suggest throwing 3 off each tee and then throwing 1 upshot per throw. I like throwing a driver, mid, putter off the tee in this case because it typically gives me 3 unique upshots. I make notes, skip putting, and move to the next hole. When parking is close to hole #1, I'll walk the course backwards to the car. You would be surprised how much this can help you remember landmarks, trees, obs, etc, the day of the tournament.