Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Help throwing into the wind

I've done a decent amount of reading about throwing discs into a headwind, and everyone says that an overstable disc is the way to go. I spent a lot of time at the local course today trying to learn to throw into the wind since 3 of the last 4 holes play directly into the wind. I tried throwing both my DX and Champion Teebirds a lot, and then started experimenting with my other discs. Most of the time when throwing the Teebirds, I ended up with a disc that would basically hyzer-stall-crash unless I made a real effort to start it out anhyzer, which I am not really consistent with yet. I tried my DX Valk just to see what would happen and it seemed to work a lot better for me. The flight was more of a flat-right turn-fade line, and I was able to throw that same shot almost every time. Is this a flaw in my form or is something else going on?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Seems strange that you would throw anhyzer into the wind...typically, you throw a bit more hyzer as the wind will tend to turn the disc more. True, overstable discs are really good headwind discs, especially, when the wind is strong.

I should ask the question of how far do you normally throw a Teebird?

Teebirds do rather well into the wind, unless it's really blowing. The hyzer-stall-crash sounds like you are not keeping the nose down as you throw. The headwind magnifies everything so a little nose up and it just takes off. I've had this happen, too.

Throw nose down, a bit more hyzer release, and on a slightly lower line and you should do fine in "breezy" conditions.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post

I should ask the question of how far do you normally throw a Teebird?

Teebirds do rather well into the wind, unless it's really blowing. The hyzer-stall-crash sounds like you are not keeping the nose down as you throw. The headwind magnifies everything so a little nose up and it just takes off. I've had this happen, too.
I don't really have an exact number for my Teebirds, since I am typically throwing them either downwind or trying to throw them upwind. My downwind distance is consistently 250', sometimes a little higher. Upwind I usually only get the hard left crashing flight so I don't know how far.

The wind I played in today was typical of the course, 5-10 mph constant wind with gusts up to 20.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Reason the anyhyzer/understable discs are working better is nose angle. Your nose is in different position when throwing straight vs anny (anny it is actually slightly to the right).

So, when you throw straight, your nose is getting up and the wind hitting the under side, lifting and stalling the disc. Thrown with anny, you probably still are exposing the underside of the disc but you are somewhat retarding that with the angle.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 59
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

I would say try a Orion LF, or a Wasp, or Banshee. I use a Force for strong winds. Orc works good also.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
I would say try a Orion LF, or a Wasp, or Banshee. I use a Force for strong winds. Orc works good also.

works well not good
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 58 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Reason the anyhyzer/understable discs are working better is nose angle. Your nose is in different position when throwing straight vs anny (anny it is actually slightly to the right).

So, when you throw straight, your nose is getting up and the wind hitting the under side, lifting and stalling the disc. Thrown with anny, you probably still are exposing the underside of the disc but you are somewhat retarding that with the angle.
That's my guess, too.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, with a downwind 250ish Teebird I'm guessing the Valk works a little better since it isn't as stable. It flies at about the perfect line because the wind is giving it enough speed to turn over. If you threw with more power then it would be more prone to turn and burn.

Besides that, which you isn't a form thing anyways, nose angle is key to wind. Just start focusing on keeping it down.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 71
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

depends on the hole ... are you going for distance or accuracy? a more stable disc will be affected less by the wind, but it's not going to go that far.

when i am faced with a headwind, if I have the space, I will (RHBH) throw a sidewinder high and to the left. it will turn over and get pushed by the wind, but will usually hold the turnover line very well. but this requires a decent amount of height, which is not always available. if all else fails, ill throw the firebird. it may not go as far, but i know what its going to do

Old 04-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 153
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
depends on the hole ... are you going for distance or accuracy? a more stable disc will be affected less by the wind, but it's not going to go that far.

when i am faced with a headwind, if I have the space, I will (RHBH) throw a sidewinder high and to the left. it will turn over and get pushed by the wind, but will usually hold the turnover line very well. but this requires a decent amount of height, which is not always available. if all else fails, ill throw the firebird. it may not go as far, but i know what its going to do
Good insight.