Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Bradley Walker Bradley Walker is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 211
Niced 252 Times in 94 Posts
Default Flat ish KC Pro Rocs not super flat

Does anyone know where to find some flattish KC Rocs? Not the pancake super flat Ching type just a KC Roc that is not super doney. All the new ones seem to be crazy domey.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 AM
hugheshilton's Avatar
hugheshilton hugheshilton is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,653
Niced 530 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Hmmm, 2 suggestions.

1. Go to your local disc retailers if you have them. Look through all their stock of Rocs. If you don't see what you want, ask if they have any more in back or when they will next order more.

2. If this yields no results or you have no local stores selling discs, go to your favorite online retailer (Infinite, DGC, GGGT, etc.), find their phone number and call them. Ask for what you want. The big online sellers have loads of inventory and most will try to accommodate your request by looking through their stacks for what you want.

I think those are your 2 best shots. There plenty of "good" KC Rocs out there, but if you don't want a true flat top, then you probably won't be able to buy it strictly off of an online disc listing or description.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM
DrBaartman's Avatar
DrBaartman DrBaartman is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ruthton, MN
Posts: 261
Niced 102 Times in 58 Posts
Default

My reccomendation is to do the hot water trick to flat top it, but use less weight.

I like my KCs flat, but they dont have to be board flat.. so, I bring water to a boil (not a totally rolling boil), put it face down on the counter, fill it about halfway, and then I put my Moms old nursing text book on top and let it cool down. This flattens the top, but not completely because it isnt quite enough weight to flatten it all the way.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Bradley Walker Bradley Walker is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 211
Niced 252 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaartman View Post
My reccomendation is to do the hot water trick to flat top it, but use less weight.

I like my KCs flat, but they dont have to be board flat.. so, I bring water to a boil (not a totally rolling boil), put it face down on the counter, fill it about halfway, and then I put my Moms old nursing text book on top and let it cool down. This flattens the top, but not completely because it isnt quite enough weight to flatten it all the way.
Oh snap!!!

DONE!!!

I will report back after I try it. My Mom has that drug book too from nursing school...haha
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:20 PM
lines's Avatar
lines lines is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Asheville NC
Courses Played: 29
Posts: 432
Niced 234 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
Oh snap!!!

DONE!!!

I will report back after I try it. My Mom has that drug book too from nursing school...haha
Granite counter tops work best. They pull the heat out, and cool the plastic faster.
Rinse and repeat if needed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:21 PM
lines's Avatar
lines lines is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Asheville NC
Courses Played: 29
Posts: 432
Niced 234 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaartman View Post
My reccomendation is to do the hot water trick to flat top it, but use less weight.

I like my KCs flat, but they dont have to be board flat.. so, I bring water to a boil (not a totally rolling boil), put it face down on the counter, fill it about halfway, and then I put my Moms old nursing text book on top and let it cool down. This flattens the top, but not completely because it isnt quite enough weight to flatten it all the way.
My tried and true method. Flattened a domey champ spider to perfection.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 957
Niced 254 Times in 175 Posts
Default

How do you keep the top from clovering? Occasionally I think a combination of a little too much heat and a little too much weight will cause things to collapse.

Also keep in mind that the dome mellows as they beat in.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM
DrBaartman's Avatar
DrBaartman DrBaartman is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ruthton, MN
Posts: 261
Niced 102 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
How do you keep the top from clovering? Occasionally I think a combination of a little too much heat and a little too much weight will cause things to collapse.

Also keep in mind that the dome mellows as they beat in.
My first flat top attempt ended with a clovered white KC Roc.. like you said, too much weight and too much heat. I actually fixed the clovered top by putting a Sentinel below it face down, putting the roc on top of it face down. Then I pressed the dome of the Roc into the Sentinel (kinda like a suction cup) and filled up the roc halfway with some almost boiling water and let it sit. Fixed it right up.

I have wayyy too much experience tinkering with this stuff.. haha I have once-domey Teebirds and PDs that look and feel like ones from the old days
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Bradley Walker Bradley Walker is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 211
Niced 252 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaartman View Post
My first flat top attempt ended with a clovered white KC Roc.. like you said, too much weight and too much heat. I actually fixed the clovered top by putting a Sentinel below it face down, putting the roc on top of it face down. Then I pressed the dome of the Roc into the Sentinel (kinda like a suction cup) and filled up the roc halfway with some almost boiling water and let it sit. Fixed it right up.

I have wayyy too much experience tinkering with this stuff.. haha I have once-domey Teebirds and PDs that look and feel like ones from the old days
So, Kcs don't need weight?
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:44 PM
DrBaartman's Avatar
DrBaartman DrBaartman is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ruthton, MN
Posts: 261
Niced 102 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
So, Kcs don't need weight?
Not a lot.. I clovered that Roc I was referring to by using a text book, AND a Subwoofer box. Haha just need a text book for KCs

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.