Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Par Member

Niced 252 Times in 94 Posts
Default Flat ish KC Pro Rocs not super flat

Does anyone know where to find some flattish KC Rocs? Not the pancake super flat Ching type just a KC Roc that is not super doney. All the new ones seem to be crazy domey.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 530 Times in 329 Posts

Hmmm, 2 suggestions.

1. Go to your local disc retailers if you have them. Look through all their stock of Rocs. If you don't see what you want, ask if they have any more in back or when they will next order more.

2. If this yields no results or you have no local stores selling discs, go to your favorite online retailer (Infinite, DGC, GGGT, etc.), find their phone number and call them. Ask for what you want. The big online sellers have loads of inventory and most will try to accommodate your request by looking through their stacks for what you want.

I think those are your 2 best shots. There plenty of "good" KC Rocs out there, but if you don't want a true flat top, then you probably won't be able to buy it strictly off of an online disc listing or description.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 102 Times in 58 Posts

My reccomendation is to do the hot water trick to flat top it, but use less weight.

I like my KCs flat, but they dont have to be board flat.. so, I bring water to a boil (not a totally rolling boil), put it face down on the counter, fill it about halfway, and then I put my Moms old nursing text book on top and let it cool down. This flattens the top, but not completely because it isnt quite enough weight to flatten it all the way.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaartman View Post
My reccomendation is to do the hot water trick to flat top it, but use less weight.

I like my KCs flat, but they dont have to be board flat.. so, I bring water to a boil (not a totally rolling boil), put it face down on the counter, fill it about halfway, and then I put my Moms old nursing text book on top and let it cool down. This flattens the top, but not completely because it isnt quite enough weight to flatten it all the way.
Oh snap!!!

DONE!!!

I will report back after I try it. My Mom has that drug book too from nursing school...haha
Old 09-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 234 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
Oh snap!!!

DONE!!!

I will report back after I try it. My Mom has that drug book too from nursing school...haha
Granite counter tops work best. They pull the heat out, and cool the plastic faster.
Rinse and repeat if needed.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 234 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:

My tried and true method. Flattened a domey champ spider to perfection.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 254 Times in 175 Posts

How do you keep the top from clovering? Occasionally I think a combination of a little too much heat and a little too much weight will cause things to collapse.

Also keep in mind that the dome mellows as they beat in.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
How do you keep the top from clovering? Occasionally I think a combination of a little too much heat and a little too much weight will cause things to collapse.

Also keep in mind that the dome mellows as they beat in.
My first flat top attempt ended with a clovered white KC Roc.. like you said, too much weight and too much heat. I actually fixed the clovered top by putting a Sentinel below it face down, putting the roc on top of it face down. Then I pressed the dome of the Roc into the Sentinel (kinda like a suction cup) and filled up the roc halfway with some almost boiling water and let it sit. Fixed it right up.

I have wayyy too much experience tinkering with this stuff.. haha I have once-domey Teebirds and PDs that look and feel like ones from the old days
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Par Member

Quote:
My first flat top attempt ended with a clovered white KC Roc.. like you said, too much weight and too much heat. I actually fixed the clovered top by putting a Sentinel below it face down, putting the roc on top of it face down. Then I pressed the dome of the Roc into the Sentinel (kinda like a suction cup) and filled up the roc halfway with some almost boiling water and let it sit. Fixed it right up.

I have wayyy too much experience tinkering with this stuff.. haha I have once-domey Teebirds and PDs that look and feel like ones from the old days
So, Kcs don't need weight?

Old 09-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
So, Kcs don't need weight?
Not a lot.. I clovered that Roc I was referring to by using a text book, AND a Subwoofer box. Haha just need a text book for KCs