Old 11-25-2017, 03:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 30 Times in 22 Posts

Hopefully the DGWT can come back in 2019 because it's important that disc golf can tap into the international market.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2017, 07:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 53 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
In general, the US audience didn't appreciate not being the focus of all of the attention IMO.
This is just insulting. The European events were the only reason I watched DGWT the last 2 years.

Quote:
The biggest difference in the tours to me was the caliber of events (which goes hands down to the DGWT in terms of both prestige and organization), and the fact that DGWT insourced its media whereas DGPT spreads it out. The cons for the DGPT is that the viewership isn't in the same league as WT events, but the pro is that Steve pays much less and the audience shoulders that burden on multiple fronts (Patreon, Merchandise, etc.)
Now you're stretching Jaime. Caliber of events is very subjective. I've seen many well organized DGPT events and many controversially run DGWT events.

And viewership? Do you really think there is a representative sample to compare viewership rates? What a joke.

In-sourcing is the reason DGWT failed. They neglected outside vendors to the point of cost burdens.

When will the disc golf masses realize that public donations are the only way a sustainable tour will operate? This is exactly why Steve and DGPT have the better business model. We all need to shoulder some of the "pro disc golf" burden to get what "we" want.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by mmblink86; 11-25-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 888 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post

When will the disc golf masses realize that public donations are the only way a sustainable tour will operate? This is exactly why Steve and DGPT have the better business model. We all need to shoulder some of the "pro disc golf" burden to get what "we" want.
I never really equated "public donations" and "sustainable" before.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Noill Golf; 11-26-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 53 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I never really equated "public donations" and "sustainable" before.

Exactly. Did you not get the tongue and check aspect of the post? It is why pro disc golf and we are in quotations.

The majority of people who play disc golf could care less about the professional side of the sport, and the professional side will only exist because of donations in any form.

Registration fees, local advertising revenue, and TD or Ambassador personal equity equate to public donations in my book. All unsustainable and why pro disc golf will never get as big as people hope.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by mmblink86; 11-25-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,002 Times in 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Completely disagree with this. Fans in the USA appreciate good disc golf in Europe, Australia, Japan, etc., as well as the USA. You're really clutching at straws to blame American DG fans for Jussi's failures.
Oh good lord, extrapolate much? It was a simple observation, I didn't say it was the reason the tour is on hiatus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Not arguing here but I'm not sure what subscribers proves other than your brand is twice as old and started as a media vehicle for Innova/DM. I'd be curious to know which channel has gained more in the last 2 years when Jomez first started gaining more ground and both tours came around. That would be probably more telling considering that covers the entire lifespan of both tours. I also know nothing of the media agreements, this is purely my outside observation on the success of both in the past 2 years where Jomez appears to be more popular with most fans as a result of the US focused DGPT.
Jomez and CCDG are both older than SpinTV. We are actually the youngest of all major dg media channels.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 946 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Oh good lord, extrapolate much?
Not enough if you ask me.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 28
Niced 222 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Jomez and CCDG are both older than SpinTV. We are actually the youngest of all major dg media channels.
Jomez? Their channel may be older but they didn't start covering major events or anything significant until 2 years ago. You started 4-5(?) years ago with branded product demos when no one else was. Like i said I'd be curious who has picked up more subs the past 2 years. Not that any of this really matters.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 82
Niced 30 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
Exactly. Did you not get the tongue and check aspect of the post? It is why pro disc golf and we are in quotations.

The majority of people who play disc golf could care less about the professional side of the sport, and the professional side will only exist because of donations in any form.

Registration fees, local advertising revenue, and TD or Ambassador personal equity equate to public donations in my book. All unsustainable and why pro disc golf will never get as big as people hope.
The only way I see a disc golf event having a huge payout is if a rich disc golfer decides to run a huge tournament.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,213 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Oh good lord, extrapolate much? It was a simple observation, I didn't say it was the reason the tour is on hiatus..
And your "observation" was both wrong and insulting to American DG fans.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 705 Times in 342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
And your "observation" was both wrong and insulting to American DG fans.
Wasn't the point of DGWT to gain "fans" outside of our little world?