Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 4 Posts

Meh, He's right. If Paul played up to his standard then he wins. Ricky won because Paul played less than his usual level.

If Ricky had shot an amazing perfect round then it would have been a different story, but he didn't. At least not by Paul/Ricky standards.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 78 Times in 42 Posts

I lost count of how many 35-50ft straddle putts Paul missed in the first two rounds. Hopefully, he'll eventually either get as good at straddle putts as he was at inline putts or his back will heal up and he can go back to his old style and dominance, because right now their respective make rates in the 40ft range is by far Ricky's biggest advantage.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 216
Niced 373 Times in 189 Posts

What Paul said made sense. There's a difference between losing a tournament and giving it away. I've won a couple tournaments in the past where I felt the competition just gave me the tournament because of the unnecessary mistakes made. People that usually would put up a good challenge and beating whom felt like an accomplishment. In tournaments like that it didn't feel like an earned win, more like it just happened. That's not fun. Paul lives for competition and all he's saying is that he felt like he just gave this one away. I don't know Ricky's personality but if I were in his shoes I'd feel a little underwhelmed as well.

Either way, a win is a win so congrats to Ricky! Hopefully next event we'll see more earnest competition in the final round of the lead card.

Last edited by notroman; 05-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebbiebear View Post
Meh, He's right. If Paul played up to his standard then he wins. Ricky won because Paul played less than his usual level.

If Ricky had shot an amazing perfect round then it would have been a different story, but he didn't. At least not by Paul/Ricky standards.
We should only have tournaments when Paul is feeling good about his game. The logical way to test whether Paul is feeling it or not, would be to play some disc golf. But that can upset Paul.

We have to come up solution finding out who's the best disc golfer without playing any disc golf.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 704
Niced 1,960 Times in 866 Posts

One way to tell whether Paul or Ricky played well is looking at their average round ratings. Ricky averaged his rating at 1051 and Paul averaged below his rating at 1046.3. So Paul was correct indicating he played below normal (average). Had he played his average of 1052, he would have at least tied Ricky.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 158
Niced 60 Times in 25 Posts

My point isn't that Paul did or didn't play to his potential. Obviously, he did not. My point is that when he loses a tournament, even if he feels like he gave strokes away, at the very least he could give the winner *some* credit. "I didn't play my best, but Ricky played better and beat me." It's not that hard.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,593 Times in 907 Posts

The only thing funner than watching the tournament is reading the post tournament commentary on post tournament comments. Which is worse, calling out a TD for cancelling because you're a competitive bugger, or calling out yourself for not playing well? Neither. Ricky and Paul are good representatives of our sport, competitive buggers, and fun to watch.

My prediction, Paul wins on old DeLa, Ricky wins on BG DeLa, Nate Sexton greases the tee pads during the last round, Paul and Ricky blow up, Nate wins it all. Hazahhh!

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,593 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
My point isn't that Paul did or didn't play to his potential. Obviously, he did not. My point is that when he loses a tournament, even if he feels like he gave strokes away, at the very least he could give the winner *some* credit. "I didn't play my best, but Ricky played better and beat me." It's not that hard.
Can you post the compliments Ricky has given Paul when Ricky won? Or for that matter, the compliments from any winner for the guy they beat? Yeah, I know it happens, but not all that often.

The notion that the two best players in the world sit around waiting to pat each other on the back isn't one I have faith in.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 17 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandelius View Post
We should only have tournaments when Paul is feeling good about his game. The logical way to test whether Paul is feeling it or not, would be to play some disc golf. But that can upset Paul.

We have to come up solution finding out who's the best disc golfer without playing any disc golf.
Who said anything about any of that? Paul can't point out that he didn't play up to snuff? You want him to ignore his own failings? This is competition at the highest level, it isn't some mini with friends where you go out afterwards and have some beers. They are in this to make money and Paul is mad at himself for screwing up.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46
Courses Played: 387
Niced 1,891 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Biggest possible eye roll at the notion that it shouldn't be a par 5 because 3 of the best players to ever throw a disc got eagles in the same round.

Especially when you listen to the highest rated player in the world say on the commentary track that it takes 2 "great" shots (by their standards, not ours) to even have the opportunity to putt for eagle.
I calculated how great these throws were, using the yardstick of how rare it would be for a 1000-rated player to do it. (1000-rated because that's the highest rating that has a good chance of having enough data to be comparable from event to event.)

The three throws to get eagle on those holes were equivalent to being in the top 39% of all throws made by 1000-rated players. (Because about 6% of 1000-rateed players got 3 and the cube root of 6% is 39%.)

If a player were to play the whole round at the level of play it took to get a 3 on 11, their score would have been a 1094 rated 48.

Or, the chance that 3 out of 4 1000-rated players in the same group would get a 3 would be rarer than 1 in 1,000.

Playing 1094 rated golf for three throws, or doing something that would only happen once in a thousand attempts by 1000-rated players, is a remarkable performance, but not incredible.

The average score for 1000-rated players was 4.37. Most (56%) 1000-rated players got 4.

For par in this hole to be only as difficult as par was on the par 3s and 4s (and there were some easy par 3s and 4s), the average score for this hole would need to be raised up to 5.23. If three players had gotten 3 on a true par 5 like that, then it would actually have been incredible.

Still, I was real happy to see the video of this remarkable occurrance.