* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
What if the player is using an alias?
If the TD doesn't know the person, at check in ask for a license/id ?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 89
Niced 58 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
This is a TD option, not a PDGA call. Non current PDGA members without a PDGA rating have no "rights" to play in any ratings break am division. TDs are allowed to tell the player they need to play in the top am division for their age or open/pro for their age if they wish to enter.
If they are not current PDGA members. But if they just bought a membership and have no rating yet, and if there is a rec or novice division, they qualify for that division. IIRC, TDs are prohibited from denying entry to any current PDGA member in any offered division for which they qualify and that has at least three players in that division. Allowing the TD to make them compete trophy only until they have a rating would alleviate some issues.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:48 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 220 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
. But if they just bought a membership and have no rating yet, ... ...Allowing the TD to make them compete trophy only until they have a rating would alleviate some issues.
In theory this is an avenue for abuse (accidentally or intentionally).

But in reality, just how big is the problem of 'unrated new member playing in inappropriate division'?

My answer (guess) is - not big at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)
Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,053 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
I would be fine with this if PDGA members could not play club events.........Nothing like having your touring pro buddy showed up at a club event to take all the money from, oh say Cedar Hills Summer Doubles.....
are you referring to 2012 when the touring guys showed up to Cedar Hills Doubles on Tuesday? Or another time?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

I haven’t played a tournament since 2015, but when I was playing men’s rec and trying to just cash, it seemed like it was every single tournament. Some new pdga member would play rec and get a score that would have won intermediate or even advanced. Then all the local tournaments made men’s rec trophy only to address it, so I could no longer have a goal of trying to cash. So I lost interest in playing men’s rec, and I had already gotten pushed into advanced women with my 828 rating. I had no other ladies to compete against locally, and never a men’s novice division around here, So no more local tournaments for me.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,053 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
If they are not current PDGA members. But if they just bought a membership and have no rating yet, and if there is a rec or novice division, they qualify for that division. IIRC, TDs are prohibited from denying entry to any current PDGA member in any offered division for which they qualify and that has at least three players in that division. Allowing the TD to make them compete trophy only until they have a rating would alleviate some issues.
This is partially correct, partially incorrect.

There is no minimum division size. That language is no where in the book.

However, TD's have the right to limit divisions offered and set things such as minimum division size.

Here's the language I choose to use at my events:

"All PDGA divisions, except Novice, are offered, however there must be three people in the division with the exception of women and junior divisions."

This allows me what I consider the good middle ground. If three 70 year olds wanna play my event. Rock on! But I'm not openning a division because a 70 year old doesn't want to compete against 50 year olds.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 213
Niced 383 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Fair enough, I'm biased as I will never get a PDGA Membership after they screwed me.

Injured as a spotter during a high profile event and the Executive Director of the PDGA at the time promised they would take care of my medical bills.

I sent in the appropriate paperwork and they denied it.

Didn't have the time or money to contest it.

The point is, I'm not the only person who likes to play in tournaments, but doesn't want to be a member of the PDGA.
Fair enough. However, that specific reasoning is only tangential to the arguments here. Your "they screwed me" argument, however valid it may be, is not because of ratings or anything like that.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
In theory this is an avenue for abuse (accidentally or intentionally).

But in reality, just how big is the problem of 'unrated new member playing in inappropriate division'?

My answer (guess) is - not big at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
This is partially correct, partially incorrect.

However, TD's have the right to limit divisions offered and set things such as minimum division size.

Here's the language I choose to use at my events:

"All PDGA divisions, except Novice, are offered, however there must be three people in the division with the exception of women and junior divisions."

This allows me what I consider the good middle ground. If three 70 year olds wanna play my event. Rock on! But I'm not openning a division because a 70 year old doesn't want to compete against 50 year olds.
There is language that the TD can require at least 3 players for a division, so it is pertinent that men’s rec always has more than 3, and the TD can not prevent a current pdga member that qualifies for that division from playing it. So a new pdga member with no rating must be allowed to play men’s rec unless the tournament is full. Allowing the TD to make that new member compete trophy only, perhaps with a reduced fee or larger players pack, would create another option to address this issue besides making the division trophy only.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 220 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Without going back and working out what everyone said and meant... there is some language about numbers in divisions.

Quote:
K. A Tournament Director may, by indicating it on the registration form, restrict the divisions offered in their event. Absent such notice, the Tournament Director shall offer for competition any division which has four or more players that are eligible and who wish to compete. Tournament Directors may offer divisions with fewer than four players at their discretion. (See Section 1.03 I)
If I read it correctly...

A unless the TD has given prior notice that they are NOT offering certain divisions, they MUST allow any division that have 4+ players.

Or differently phrased. A TD can only refuse to offer a division if there are 3 or fewer players or the TD gave prior notice.

Last edited by cheesethin; 01-13-2020 at 10:46 AM.