Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Marmoset's Avatar
Marmoset Marmoset is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Years Playing: 20
Posts: 2,162
Niced 1,198 Times in 514 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobud View Post
I disagree with this. It is the PDGA's responsibility to rule on what discs are and are not allowed. As a manufacturer I should be able to make whatever type of frisbee's I want.
I.e. Perhaps I am a guy who has never played a round of DG in my life, but like to go crush destroyer's in a field near my home. Should my enjoyment of different ranges of products be regulated by a sports association that I will never be interested in?

Similarly, if I am Spalding, should I be disallowed to make a 45 inch basketball just because it will never be used in the NBA?

Food for thought.
If the discs say “PDGA Approved” in the stamp or molded into the disc, then it should be verified as legal. If the disc has this wording, consumers should be able to assume the disc is legal. Otherwise, it is false advertising. Gateway also made a disc named the Ninja (the original one, not the new one) and it was not PDGA legal because the wing was too wide. This disc did not say “PDGA approved” in the stamp and I would have no issues with them producing discs that are outsides the PDGA’s specs.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,916
Niced 989 Times in 828 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
If the discs say “PDGA Approved” in the stamp or molded into the disc, then it should be verified as legal. If the disc has this wording, consumers should be able to assume the disc is legal. Otherwise, it is false advertising. Gateway also made a disc named the Ninja (the original one, not the new one) and it was not PDGA legal because the wing was too wide. This disc did not say “PDGA approved” in the stamp and I would have no issues with them producing discs that are outsides the PDGA’s specs.
I agree as Quest AT, a novelty disc manufacture keeps or kept making the Turbo Putt and it is not PDGA legal and has a NOT PDGA APPROVED on the disc stamp. I am not sure if the current crappy Z/Champion looking type of plastic that the Quest AT discs now come in are still being sold on Amazon. Quest was still trying to approve a version of Turbo Putt II.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 AM
GripEnemy's Avatar
GripEnemy GripEnemy is offline
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,136
Niced 900 Times in 493 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobud View Post
I disagree with this. It is the PDGA's responsibility to rule on what discs are and are not allowed. As a manufacturer I should be able to make whatever type of frisbee's I want.
I.e. Perhaps I am a guy who has never played a round of DG in my life, but like to go crush destroyer's in a field near my home. Should my enjoyment of different ranges of products be regulated by a sports association that I will never be interested in?

Similarly, if I am Spalding, should I be disallowed to make a 45 inch basketball just because it will never be used in the NBA?

Food for thought.
You're replying to a 6 year old thread . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
If the discs say “PDGA Approved” in the stamp or molded into the disc, then it should be verified as legal. If the disc has this wording, consumers should be able to assume the disc is legal. Otherwise, it is false advertising. Gateway also made a disc named the Ninja (the original one, not the new one) and it was not PDGA legal because the wing was too wide. This disc did not say “PDGA approved” in the stamp and I would have no issues with them producing discs that are outsides the PDGA’s specs.
. . . You're replying to someone that irrelevantly bumped a 6yo thread (I know, with good
intentions)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I agree as Quest AT, a novelty disc manufacture keeps or kept making the Turbo Putt and it is not PDGA legal and has a NOT PDGA APPROVED on the disc stamp. I am not sure if the current crappy Z/Champion looking type of plastic that the Quest AT discs now come in are still being sold on Amazon. Quest was still trying to approve a version of Turbo Putt II.

Hi Casey

Last edited by GripEnemy; 02-11-2020 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Words and ****
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM
Siobud Siobud is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 6
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
You're replying to a 6 year old thread . . .
Is it not kosher to reply to old threads? I was interested in the topic. I apologize if so.
I recently discovered the forum and have enjoyed searching for topics that I am interested in. No harm intended!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2020, 02:53 PM
F.Luke F.Luke is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: the left hand world
Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 65
Posts: 931
Niced 686 Times in 328 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobud View Post
Is it not kosher to reply to old threads? I was interested in the topic. I apologize if so.
I recently discovered the forum and have enjoyed searching for topics that I am interested in. No harm intended!
DGCR supports two options: bump an old thread and have people complain about it or start a new thread and have people complain about your not bumping an old thread that already exists.

It’s a win/win situation.

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,916
Niced 989 Times in 828 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
DGCR supports two options: bump an old thread and have people complain about it or start a new thread and have people complain about your not bumping an old thread that already exists.

It’s a win/win situation.
That's not Win/Win!, That's Lose/Lose!

quote is Mallory from Archer TV show

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-11-2020, 07:19 PM
Declarkus Declarkus is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 227
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,044
Niced 77 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
You're replying to a 6 year old thread . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobud View Post
Is it not kosher to reply to old threads?
I celebrate the old thread bump. It let me reminisce on my max weight obsession phase. I also enjoy the favorite disc thread bumps. The old posts with new signatures show how bags shift over the years.

I continue to hold the opinion that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to only distribute legal discs, and any that fall outside of the tolerance allowed for competition should be x-out factory second. In a perfect world, it would even be required to have a marking declaring it illegal.

Where my opinion has grown more accepting is relating to the very frustration that inspired the 6 year old post: buying max weight discs. When the sticker says "177+", as the buyer, I now assume the risk of possibly purchasing an overweight disc. If I absolutely require a disc that weighs the maximum possible amount, I can bring my scale into the shop to confirm. The "+" is the manufacturer's way of warning the buyer.
Reply With Quote
 

  #28  
Old 02-11-2020, 07:47 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,916
Niced 989 Times in 828 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
I celebrate the old thread bump. It let me reminisce on my max weight obsession phase. I also enjoy the favorite disc thread bumps. The old posts with new signatures show how bags shift over the years.

I continue to hold the opinion that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to only distribute legal discs, and any that fall outside of the tolerance allowed for competition should be x-out factory second. In a perfect world, it would even be required to have a marking declaring it illegal.

Where my opinion has grown more accepting is relating to the very frustration that inspired the 6 year old post: buying max weight discs. When the sticker says "177+", as the buyer, I now assume the risk of possibly purchasing an overweight disc. If I absolutely require a disc that weighs the maximum possible amount, I can bring my scale into the shop to confirm. The "+" is the manufacturer's way of warning the buyer.

I don't hold these opinions well all but one, discs not approved for PDGA play must say so from a manufacture and this is my other thing all discs PDGA approved including most of the Wham-O catch discs as a few are too small for Disc Golf must say PDGA approved on the disc yet can say if they are UPA approved, Guts approved, World Disc Federation or WDF approved, and Disc Dog Competition approved. I think I got all the big federations for
Disc Sports including WDF for Max Time Aloft, Throw Run and Catch, and Trick disc competitions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Weight Limit Cart? jenb Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 4 10-30-2019 01:21 PM
PDGA Minimum weight limit? Hix007 General Disc Golf Chat 34 05-30-2018 05:17 PM
Max weight Lat 64 Jades, Max weight Lat 64 Diamonds, Axiom Watermelon anything... Discblaster The Marketplace 1 01-29-2016 04:17 PM
Max weight GL Mace compared to max weight M1 techn9cian4life Discs 5 06-25-2013 01:53 AM
Legal disc weight question jrawk General Disc Golf Chat 42 06-16-2010 02:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.