Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 389 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Glass Blown Open plays music for the Pros for all rounds at the Emporia Country Club.

I think the disc golf media crews now have to block out the walk up music. Channeling Casey1988......This is because You Tube and/or artists block videos and/or want royalties if they are longer than 7 seconds???. Honestly, I have zero clue about this stuff. As I recall, this was done last year when Ricky was introduced for the GBO coverage (or some other event) and the announcers said something about why they were talking over the Ricky intro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I've played a lot of GBOs. I have not been charged for walk-up music, and the OP in this thread is the first time I have ever heard of a charge for it. I don't think charging for walk-up music at the GBO is a thing.

Anyway, in years past they had a small amp and PA system near hole #1, and were using a laptop with a mobile phone internet connection to pull up the players' songs from something like Spotify or some other online music service one by one and play them out loud at the appropriate moments. Last year they just had an iPhone plugged into the amp and skipped the laptop.

I was a bit let down that they were doing it this way, truthfully, because my choice of walk-up song was curiously absent from the streaming service's catalogue, despite them having several albums from my artist of choice, and every other song from the album in question except for THAT one. Weird. . .
I think that the use of a paid subscription service (I don't know which one) is the work around for the royalties issue.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 996 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Glass Blown Open plays music for the Pros for all rounds at the Emporia Country Club.

I think the disc golf media crews now have to block out the walk up music. Channeling Casey1988......This is because You Tube and/or artists block videos and/or want royalties if they are longer than 7 seconds???. Honestly, I have zero clue about this stuff. As I recall, this was done last year when Ricky was introduced for the GBO coverage (or some other event) and the announcers said something about why they were talking over the Ricky intro.
It is true, they have to block due to not really YouTube policy but some of the artist policy or the recording company policy. Yeah one other person had a silent last at GBO one year with no sound at all on first tee due song and or band chosen, person was John E McCray where all you heard was the end release of the disc and nothing else. He was in the second round card and on coverage for rounds 2 and 3 so I was watching due to having it cool a Masters player could be doing so well in a PDGA Pro Tour or National Tour Event, I forget which it is in. It was one of the first times or seasons that John E McCray had allowed himself to be on camera for coverage and not block the use of his footage or have to not film him.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46
Courses Played: 387
Niced 1,904 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So I had a request for an upcoming tourney to have walk-up music for players. Apparently this is being done at GBO for a small additional charge. Just curious if anyone can give me the low-down on the logistics of how this is done...
I thought the correct response to any request was: "Sounds great. Do it!"

Niced: (1)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,307 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Absolutely. Find an A/V nerd and let them do this. They'll be happy as a clam doing this from a chair in the shade near hole one instead of being out running around sweating and spotting on the brambles forest hole.

(Edit: For bonus good feels, tell them that they're "the official DJ.")

This is assuming you have an AV Nerd amongst your volunteer pool?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 218 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
This is assuming you have an AV Nerd amongst your volunteer pool?

Wait. Do you mean to say you don't?

We're all nerds of one stripe or another. And I bet I couldn't swing a dead cat - anywhere at all - without hitting someone who "used ta DJ back in the day." Said with a knowing wink and a smile, naturally.

It would be child's play for anyone under 30 these days. If I can do it, so can you.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 571 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
"Every super hero needs some theme music"
"No one man should have all that power" oh well this is clearly going to be my theme music for that lead card final day at GBO.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 298 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I think that the use of a paid subscription service (I don't know which one) is the work around for the royalties issue.
Not really. You'd have to get one that specifically allows for public performance, otherwise you're still in copyright violation.

Is anything likely to actually happen? Not really, but ...
Old 02-19-2020, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,092 Times in 841 Posts

The more I read in this thread the more I'm thinkin...naaaaaah. I'm gonna pass on this opportunity for a headache. I posed the issues to those that suggested it like this:

- Tourney is a shotgun start
- I do not have a PA system nor do I want to use tourney funds to rent a PA system.
- Where in the world are we going to put this setup where 1) there is power 2) it won't annoy people on other cards

And I left it as, "if you want to address these issues and make it happen - knock yourself out. As a TD I will have too many other things to address and attend to during that time."

-Dave

Old 02-19-2020, 02:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 150
Niced 480 Times in 220 Posts

I've had a local guy do a tee-off songs for a shotgun start, doubles tournament. He set up by hole 1, so I guess it was a "hole 1 tee song" instead of "round start tee song". It was a total pain in the ass. Had to intercept each team on their way to hole 1 to see what the order on the tee would be. Had to keep his eye on hole 18 to make sure he wasn't blasting music while someone was putting. Had to scramble to get the cards in order. He decided to never do it again. (And since it was doubles, there were only two songs per card.)

Old 02-19-2020, 02:47 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46
Courses Played: 387
Niced 1,904 Times in 932 Posts

Amplified music is banned in many parks. One more hoop to get a permit for it.