Old 02-26-2020, 04:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 17 Posts
Default How often do you try new plastic?

I know I'm not alone here in saying that I just want to throw all the different discs. I'm pretty set with my bag- I know what works, I know what discs feel good in my hand, I know which plastics I prefer, yet I find myself contemplating buying new plastic just to throw. 9/10 times the new discs don't make my bag, but I still like throwing new molds. I know I like beadless putters, but I really want to try out a Wizard in the bag. I'm a Buzzz thrower, but I really want to try out Sling.

What do you do to suppress or feed into your urges to try new discs? Do you often switch out plastic in your bag, or do you just like to throw new stuff for fun?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,301 Times in 835 Posts

I try a fair many new discs, and sometimes one makes the bag. Last year I got a Flare on a lark and now I have 6. If it’s something that I think could be interesting I have no issue trying it out, but I rarely add them to a bag. Some I give to others and if I think I might one day want to use it it goes in my disc locker.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 58 Times in 46 Posts

I often try new discs when my playstyle/strategy changes. Such as playing more forehand dominant, more midrange shots, overstable on anny, or hyzerflip less stable.
I bought a lot of new discs last year but the only ones that were new molds that I didn't already carry were the Anax and Zeus, which I mainly bought because I like McBeth and wanted to try his discs.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 36 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I try a fair many new discs, and sometimes one makes the bag. Last year I got a Flare on a lark and now I have 6. If it’s something that I think could be interesting I have no issue trying it out, but I rarely add them to a bag. Some I give to others and if I think I might one day want to use it it goes in my disc locker.
I feel like my disc locker is getting out of hand haha how often do you revisit discs you've put away?
Old 02-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 176
Niced 807 Times in 374 Posts

Pretty much never.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:19 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,301 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
I feel like my disc locker is getting out of hand haha how often do you revisit discs you've put away?
Every couple of months. I sell some, mostly on marketplace here or if it’s just throwers I don’t care much about to play it again.

The ones I have the hardest time getting rid of are thrashed discs. Usually that means I bagged them for a long time and they became sentimental, but some discs at that point are very hard to use or no longer fit your game.

I have an old Teebird for example that is beat to hell and flips as soon as you pick it up, but it was the first disc that I actually did well with and I have not been able to part with it.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 298 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Pretty much never.
You're smarter than I am.. err or.. was?

I haven't tried a new disc in a couple years now, thankfully..
Old 02-26-2020, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,785 Times in 784 Posts

Pretty much have given up on trying much new stuff. If I can do a trade, I'll try some things but that's about it.

Every time I fill up an online cart with new discs, I always end up dropping them all and just ordering what I know. Every thing sounds sooo good, but the reality is I don't need anything. I have every thing I need and wants only reeks havoc on my game.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 396 Times in 224 Posts

I think it has been a couple of years since I last bought a new mold. I'm happy with what I have. There are no magic discs out there. Other than the Teebird of course.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Niced 179 Times in 91 Posts

I have struggled with this over the past 6 plus years that I have been playing, but I have pretty much quit buying. I currently own probably 80 plus discs and never carry more than 8 or so in my bag. Basically I have pretty much quit going into the stores to look at them. If I finally decide that I really want something different I will order it on line in the exact weight and color that I want.

Niced: (1)