Old 03-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 167 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
I do not agree with Ricky’s decision, but respect his right to do what he wants to his own body
I do agree with some of what’s being said here, but do not respect the abuse of the right to say so.

What I’ve seen sustained over the last few months basically amounts to internet bullying. It reminds me of when kids would gang up on the one Jehovahs Witness kid in public school. Most of you should be ashamed of yourselves.
What comments should cause us shame? Looks to me like he's mostly being criticized fairly, and that people are kind of holding back out of respect or cracking a joke for the sake of levity.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 496 Times in 178 Posts

I'm listening to this interview now and find it pretty disturbing.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-02-2020, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 594 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Home schooled with religious convictions. So his choices are not unexpected.
Chuck,
That is an uninformed gross generalization.
I'm a little surprised coming from you.

Let me assure everyone, kids coming from home schools for religious reasons don't hate doctors.
Some do, sure.
But PLEASE people, stop with the gross generalizations.
I know quite a few religious home schoolers parents, and every one of them takes their kids to the doctor.
\ rant

Old 03-02-2020, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 35
Niced 418 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
What comments should cause us shame? Looks to me like he's mostly being criticized fairly, and that people are kind of holding back out of respect or cracking a joke for the sake of levity.
Ribbing someone a few times is not the same thing as blowing them up on social media for over half a year. I see no reason to defend that.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

"Yes, I believe that once a person contracts Lyme, it stays in their body forever." -- Ricky's nutritionist. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. This is so offensive.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-02-2020, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 35
Niced 418 Times in 214 Posts

However, that “professional” that is consulting Ricky? That’s a different story.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,108 Times in 473 Posts

Nobody on the internet is causing Ricky more damage than he's causing himself by eschewing appropriate treatment.

You know the old saying:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Lyme disease can cause permanent neurological damage if not addressed by modern medical standards.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 70 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Chuck,
That is an uninformed gross generalization.
I'm a little surprised coming from you.

Let me assure everyone, kids coming from home schools for religious reasons don't hate doctors.
Some do, sure.
But PLEASE people, stop with the gross generalizations.
I know quite a few religious home schoolers parents, and every one of them takes their kids to the doctor.
\ rant
Homeschool grad here (parents homeschooled for religious reasons): I am a business manager at our university health system. I work with doctors, see doctors for health issues and my homeschooled children see doctors too. Continued rant over.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
However, that “professional” that is consulting Ricky? That’s a different story.
I hear you. But, Ricky seems to have completely bought in, and he is normalizing taking this route, and I think that's dangerous. I think Ricky seems like a good person, but he is acting really irresponsibly.

Interesting part of the interview -- he says he took doxycycline for a finger infection around the same time he would have been infected with lime, and his nutritionist seems to have told him that that should have knocked out the Lyme if it was going to work. He's correct that that is the same antibiotic he would have taken for Lyme, but he probably took a smaller dose over a shorter period of time. I was on doxy for about two months. It wasn't pleasant, but it worked.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-02-2020, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 45
Niced 649 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
"Yes, I believe that once a person contracts Lyme, it stays in their body forever." -- Ricky's nutritionist. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. This is so offensive.
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-c...c-lyme-disease

Has NIAID looked at whether infection persists after antibiotic therapy?

Several recent studies suggest that B. burgdorferi may persist in animals after antibiotic therapy. In one study, NIAID-supported scientists found that remnants of B. burgdorferi remained in mice after antibiotic treatment. Another team of NIAID-supported investigators found that intact B. burgdorferi persist in nonhuman primates after antibiotic treatment. It was not possible to culture these bacteria and it is not clear whether they are infectious. More recent work by Hodzic et al. replicated the earlier finding of persisting DNA but non-cultivatable B. burgdorferi after antibiotic treatment using a mouse model. In 2017, scientists at the Tulane National Primate Research Centers, funded in part by an NIH research resources grant, reported evidence of persistent and metabolically active B. burgdorferi after antibiotic treatment in rhesus macaques.

In a first-of-its-kind study for Lyme disease, NIAID-supported researchers have used live, disease-free ticks to see if Lyme disease bacteria can be detected in people who continue to experience symptoms such as fatigue or arthritis after completing antibiotic therapy). This study remains underway.

NIAID has not limited its efforts to animal studies, and researchers have proposed the existence of drug-tolerant, persistor cells of B. burgdorferi in cell cultures. Additional research is needed and continues to be supported by NIAID to learn more about persistent infection in cell culture and animal models and its potential implication for human disease.

Content last reviewed on November 21, 2018