Old 03-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Well I don't throw tomahawk's or thumber but I have a buddy who does, I gave him a Fireball 165 ish flat top and he gets that further than anything he's thrown. He hasn't tried it against his Epic yet since he needs more space to use the epic... thrown correctly though it does a full loop then ends up gliding flat.

Matt Dollar throws fireballs. I push gyro.. Second hand advice haha take it FWIW.
I've actually tried both a fireball and Nitro and get a little less distance than the XXX
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 130 Times in 81 Posts

If I recall correctly, JC Kester uses a Nuke OS for his overhand throws. If you are not familiar with him look him up the dude has an otherworldly tomahawk/thumber game. As far as technique, no clue I'm stoked to get anywhere past 250'.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:46 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 990 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
I've actually tried both a fireball and Nitro and get a little less distance than the XXX
The Dragon is great for a Tomahawk but the disc is lightweight at 150 grams. I say then use a Valkyrie (not DX unless you want a Valkyrie to get flippy vary quick) at 160-165 grams if not that then a Millennium Disc I forget the name is it Draco? that is a Valkyrie wing with a Road Runner top making a more comfortable Sidewinder type flight. Road Runner might work too but the disc is a little more touchy for the Tomahawk shot, my brother used to do a forehand type of Tomahawk flight with his 170 gram Champion Road Runner but he had to remember to not do max power on the disc or it would do a odd coin flip type shot.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-13-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 145
Niced 447 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I suggest you research orthopedic surgeons now, same yourself the time later.
I threw a ton of RHFH's and tomahawks and other baseball-like throws when I was young in the 1990's after having played HS baseball in the late '80s. The elbow lasted about five years. I had a good arm, too, but the form probably wasn't ideal, hence the injury.

Whippets probably didn't go as far as today's fancy-pants Discs. (and I love them!)

Be careful, my friend.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 415
Niced 597 Times in 306 Posts

Ive always used a discraft Flick for thumbers and it works great. Predators too. But I probably only throw a handful a year now because they're terrible for my arm now, as others have said.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with the Epic. Its a unique disc but it doesn't do anything that a standard overstable driver can't. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:24 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The Dragon is great for a Tomahawk but the disc is lightweight at 150 grams. I say then use a Valkyrie (not DX unless you want a Valkyrie to get flippy vary quick) at 160-165 grams if not that then a Millennium Disc I forget the name is it Draco? that is a Valkyrie wing with a Road Runner top making a more comfortable Sidewinder type flight. Road Runner might work too but the disc is a little more touchy for the Tomahawk shot, my brother used to do a forehand type of Tomahawk flight with his 170 gram Champion Road Runner but he had to remember to not do max power on the disc or it would do a odd coin flip type shot.
I might give the Draco a try. It's basically a firebird, which I ordered a 148g F2 star firebird to experiment with. Not sure how well a Roadrunner/sidewinder type would work with how under stable they are, at least for me. I've tried throwing a Heat or Shryke and they panned out very quickly. Definitely worth a shot though< I've got a champ sidewinder to play with.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I threw a ton of RHFH's and tomahawks and other baseball-like throws when I was young in the 1990's after having played HS baseball in the late '80s. The elbow lasted about five years. I had a good arm, too, but the form probably wasn't ideal, hence the injury.

Whippets probably didn't go as far as today's fancy-pants Discs. (and I love them!)

Be careful, my friend.
I try to avoid RHFH unless I absolutely have to. There's only really one hole at my club course that makes sense for the bomb tomahawk, so once in all reality I don't throw a ton of them.
I'm 26 with arthritis and tendonitis in my throwing elbow, so I'd be surprised if I have 5 years.
Thanks for the concern.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 112
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Long time overhand thrower here, so a few thoughts.

1. I've lost about 100ft on tomahawk due to nagging shoulder injuries. Back in my prime I was throwing flat flat firebirds. Post injuries I started using XXX's. For thumbers I found Banshees and Felons or Sparks worked better.

2. Matt Dollar threw Moonshine Sparks for years and could bomb. Pretty sure he threw a thumber though.

3. For overhand shots, much like forehands, you can have a disc that is too heavy, but you can also have too light. 165-168 seemed to always be my sweet spot for max distance.

4. Icy Hot will be your friend

5. If you can get a disc to flip enough, it can glide out like an aerobie epic. I had a good friend who could tommy a Boss, flip it, and watch it glide another 200' on its own.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post

Be careful, my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hcgoods View Post
Long time overhand thrower here, so a few thoughts.

1. I've lost about 100ft on tomahawk due to nagging shoulder injuries. Back in my prime I was throwing flat flat firebirds. Post injuries I started using XXX's. For thumbers I found Banshees and Felons or Sparks worked better.

2. Matt Dollar threw Moonshine Sparks for years and could bomb. Pretty sure he threw a thumber though.

3. For overhand shots, much like forehands, you can have a disc that is too heavy, but you can also have too light. 165-168 seemed to always be my sweet spot for max distance.

4. Icy Hot will be your friend

5. If you can get a disc to flip enough, it can glide out like an aerobie epic. I had a good friend who could tommy a Boss, flip it, and watch it glide another 200' on its own.
What a bunch of good info. Thanks!

I'm sure the light firebird is going to be too light, but it was on sale so oh well lol. I'm really debating an Infinite Slab. 10,3,0,4.

You're right, Dollar throws a thumber. I can't do that whatsoever.

I'm more of a fan of Biofreeze, but also bough some Tiger Balm, same concept though.

I hadn't thought about trying to get one to glide out. I'll definitely have to try that.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:51 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 113 Posts

Might be irrelevant due to my lack of overhand distance, but my preferred disc is the Discmania FD3.

I’ve only tried a few (XXX, Felon, PD, and can’t remember what else) and I’ve had my best results with the FD3 so just stuck with it.