#41  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Nick Pacific's Avatar
Nick Pacific Nick Pacific is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 217
Niced 207 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
People are only using the data that backs their side of the debate, there's much more to that 17 day thing than Nick posted.

All those tests on surfaces are inside, no test that I have heard of has been done on outside surfaces. Fluid evaporates, I would think that makes a difference.
A good portion of your transit time in NYC is spent outside, coming and going up and down stairs and thoroughfares getting to and from subway systems. Even the subways themselves aren't even close to being airtight like a plane, car or even a bus, there is open air in them coming and going and they stop constantly and open/close doors. And it's cold as a mofo down there right now in March, not even close to being a temperature controlled cruise ship cabin. Yet NYC is essentially the US epicenter of the virus, and most experts think a large portion of the virus has spread in their transit systems in air and on surfaces, in which a good portion of that time occurs outside the actual subway.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:23 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 127
Posts: 15,536
Niced 4,229 Times in 1,742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
So the latest information out of the plague ship Diamond Princess is showing the virus is detectable on some surfaces for 17 days

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/corona...17-days-later/
Included in the same article:

"However, the report stressed that the research “cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces” and whether the traces were active enough to get anyone sick."

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 704
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,526
Niced 1,994 Times in 882 Posts
Default

PDGA, Global org that hosts World Championships. CDC, U.S. based. PDGA has to make calls suitable for the worst case areas globally. Even if fewer restrictions might be reasonable for other areas, the PDGA can't realistically update different country recommendations in this quickly changing global environment. Majority of PDGA policy criticism understandably coming from U.S. based players who may not know or recognize the various accommodations the PDGA has made over the years to address cultural and economic conditions in the countries embracing disc golf.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:27 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,286
Niced 817 Times in 434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
People are only using the data that backs their side of the debate, there's much more to that 17 day thing than Nick posted.

All those tests on surfaces are inside, no test that I have heard of has been done on outside surfaces. Fluid evaporates, I would think that makes a difference.
Yes. That may be true. But nobody knows how transmittable this thing could be in our disc golf settings, least of all us here. Let's just stay off the courses. I've maintained from the beginning that we should just exercise caution. Many states (including my home state of WI) have issued shelter/safer at home ordinances. That means only essential travel.

And again. Let's use perspective. I've used this analogy elsewhere here too, so pardon if you've read it already. So you all seem to say that there is a risk of exposure at the course, it's just super small. Pick a percentage chance, don't even care what it is. Say I gave you a bowl of 100 Skittles, and told you that whatever percentage of them you choose could potentially kill you or cause someone you know to die. Would you grab a handful and eat them? Betcha you don't, even on the .01% chance. This is the same thing.

That's just talking about the course itself, not the travel to and from. Seems stupid, I know. But eliminating as many potential variables to the exposure and transmission of this thing should be something we all are doing.

That's just my two cents.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,367
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
A good portion of your transit time in NYC is spent outside, coming and going up and down stairs and thoroughfares getting to and from subway systems. Even the subways themselves aren't even close to being airtight like a plane, car or even a bus, there is open air in them coming and going and they stop constantly and open/close doors. And it's cold as a mofo down there right now in March, not even close to being a temperature controlled cruise ship cabin. Yet NYC is essentially the US epicenter of the virus, and most experts think a large portion of the virus has spread in their transit systems in air and on surfaces, in which a good portion of that time occurs outside the actual subway.
You see how close New Yorkers are still standing to each other on the subway?

Again, you just want to spin so you can be right while you ignore all the other data.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,367
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Yes. That may be true. But nobody knows how transmittable this thing could be in our disc golf settings, least of all us here. Let's just stay off the courses. I've maintained from the beginning that we should just exercise caution. Many states (including my home state of WI) have issued shelter/safer at home ordinances. That means only essential travel.

And again. Let's use perspective. I've used this analogy elsewhere here too, so pardon if you've read it already. So you all seem to say that there is a risk of exposure at the course, it's just super small. Pick a percentage chance, don't even care what it is. Say I gave you a bowl of 100 Skittles, and told you that whatever percentage of them you choose could potentially kill you or cause someone you know to die. Would you grab a handful and eat them? Betcha you don't, even on the .01% chance. This is the same thing.

That's just talking about the course itself, not the travel to and from. Seems stupid, I know. But eliminating as many potential variables to the exposure and transmission of this thing should be something we all are doing.

That's just my two cents.
Local experts here are saying to go out and enjoy the parks while keeping a safe distance. We are also on lock down and yet they still tell people to get out to the parks.
A local here contacted their park authorities and asked directly about disc golf. The reply was playing disc golf does NOT go against the guide lines of the local Gov and Med in regard to the stay at home order.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:35 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,286
Niced 817 Times in 434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Local experts here are saying to go out and enjoy the parks while keeping a safe distance. We are also on lock down and yet they still tell people to get out to the parks.
A local here contacted their park authorities and asked directly about disc golf. The reply was playing disc golf does NOT go against the guide lines of the local Gov and Med in regard to the stay at home order.
Yes. Get out and walk/exercise. Stay away from groups. Don't touch public use objects, ie baskets. And to me, gas pumps and stations. Travel takes gas.

I'm not advocating staying inside and being a hermit. Not at all. I'm just not going to travel anywhere. I can take my kids and dogs and go walk around town. We can chuck plastic in the yard. That's just me and my take on it. There is no need to drive 15 miles to the nearest course to get exercise.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:38 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,276
Niced 830 Times in 359 Posts
Default

I'm just saying that if your touching your face right now during a viral epidemic than you're not too bright.

If your coughing onto things, licking public surfaces, your a nasty mofo.

If you're standing too close to people your practicing social distancing wrong.

Man I'm not a germaphobe but I would NEVER be putting my hands in my mouth, licking my fingers, while playing disc golf OR especially riding the subway. Even during "normal" times.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:52 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 305
Posts: 8,867
Niced 2,299 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
I'm just saying that if your touching your face right now during a viral epidemic than you're not too bright.

If your coughing onto things, licking public surfaces, your a nasty mofo.

If you're standing too close to people your practicing social distancing wrong.

Man I'm not a germaphobe but I would NEVER be putting my hands in my mouth, licking my fingers, while playing disc golf OR especially riding the subway. Even during "normal" times.
idk this whole paul macbeth finger licking thing is catching on

im not steve west and i dont have a graph or anything but my observations are a dramatic increase in finger lickers since macbeth has been world champ

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #50  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,276
Niced 830 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
idk this whole paul macbeth finger licking thing is catching on

im not steve west and i dont have a graph or anything but my observations are a dramatic increase in finger lickers since macbeth has been world champ
That's the chart we want but the chart we deserve is how licking ones fingers relates to Par.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you play a PDGA event where the TD does not follow PDGA rules? chris deitzel Rules Questions & Discussion 20 04-07-2016 08:56 PM
How many disc golfers also play ball golf? Tokinator420 General Disc Golf Chat 70 08-17-2012 07:19 PM
Attention Texas Disc Golfers - Play Austin Courses on Saturday milow369 General Disc Golf Chat 15 10-25-2009 04:08 PM
More Disc Golfers need to play the courses in central Kentucky! Greg Weleski General Disc Golf Chat 6 09-11-2008 12:57 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.