Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default Distance Driver Help/Search!!!

Currently throwing and carrying 2 Ballista Pro’s for MAX distance shots (avg 450, max 470) paired with the Defender (average 425, Max 440).
However, what I don’t like about the BP is the hard fade at the end, almost like it runs out of steam and heads for the ground like a brick. No forward finishing fade. Don’t get me wrong I love how I know it’s going to fade back at the end of the flight but the BP fade is just too much. It feels like it’s killing distance...

So essentially, I’m looking for something that is similar to the BP in flight (not necessarily in feel) but with a forward finish. Suggestions? Looking at Pharoah, Sheriff, Torrent, D3, etc...

Thanks in advance,
J
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Jbultman; 03-26-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,291 Times in 829 Posts

Sheriff might work, but you would probably need to start on a hyzer. King and non Pro Ballista also would be good but would probably finish turning more so than just straight.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 68 Times in 49 Posts

My experience with the Sheriff is that it can become unpredictable pretty quickly and since your throwing over 450ft avg with the BP, it would just be too flippy for you. I would continue to beat in your Defender, never tried a Pharaoh but I know double G was throwing them for a while. I do like Terns and get some really nice fade with them, a lot like my beat in Destroyer. What were you throwing before BP's and Defenders and how did they work for you?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBottom View Post
My experience with the Sheriff is that it can become unpredictable pretty quickly and since your throwing over 450ft avg with the BP, it would just be too flippy for you. I would continue to beat in your Defender, never tried a Pharaoh but I know double G was throwing them for a while. I do like Terns and get some really nice fade with them, a lot like my beat in Destroyer. What were you throwing before BP's and Defenders and how did they work for you?
I threw x2 Discmania S-Line PD2 and x3 Prodigy 400G D2. What I didn’t like was the PD2s were too overstable to be actual throwers so I went with something that was less overstable (Defender) as a main driver. The D2s were great, But close to the defender and a touch too overstable for a pure distance shot.

I have a sheriff in fuzion that I’ll have to try.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 68 Times in 49 Posts

Of my Sheriff's the Fusion was the most understable, so I favored the Lucid more. DD did just come out with the Lucid-x Sheriff that would be worth a try for more stability.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 74
Niced 164 Times in 122 Posts

The star pharaoh would be great for you. The swirly stars crush at that distance with a flat to slight anny release.

One of the shrykes with a high shoulder (typically more stable) would be good too but take some more touch with the hyzer release.

I have always been more of a flat to anny release player for distance and I have liked Destroyer, Boss, Katana, PD2, D2, D3, Pharaoh, and Shryke as my distance disc.

At that distance you will start to see the big variance in high speed discs of one mold so it would be helpful to learn the small differences in PLH, shoulder, and dome for a specific mold to be more precise in purchasing later.

Last edited by tylerc; 03-26-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:23 PM
Par Member

I’ll check out the ballista and sheriff. What about a D3? Everyone talks about the Shryke would that be too understable?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:28 PM

Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

Consider a slower distance driver for the shot you are looking for. I throw a Star Wraith for my distance drives where I need control beyond a hyzer. I will throw a Cloud Breaker or Destroyer if a 20 extra feet would matter and it is in the open. By throwing the slower disc I am better able to keep it up to speed and can get a straighter flight or slight turnover without getting the harder fade of a faster disc.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowneagle View Post
Consider a slower distance driver for the shot you are looking for. I throw a Star Wraith for my distance drives where I need control beyond a hyzer. I will throw a Cloud Breaker or Destroyer if a 20 extra feet would matter and it is in the open. By throwing the slower disc I am better able to keep it up to speed and can get a straighter flight or slight turnover without getting the harder fade of a faster disc.
I already carry a x2 Star Wraiths as my main distance FH driver but also as a backhand understable “control” driver. I can get them 430 avg.

Essentially I guess the question is what might be like a longer wraith? I get what your saying and I love my wraith and they crush, so much glide. But I’m talking about MAX distance shots

Old 03-26-2020, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts

I throw the Torrent. Its definitely worth a look. For me a Torrent is like a very slightly less stable Nuke. I'll bend a bit right, but isn't really flippy. Something like a star Boss or ESP Nuke might be worth looking into as well.

For 450'+ power you're going to need something with a little beef.

The Sheriff was suggested. It could work, but probably only if thrown with hyzer.

D3 and Shryke would probably be too understable. D2 might work.

A Corvette might be an option as well. Very fast, and able to handle big power.

One last observation: I've thrown several Ballista Pros. I agree that they can have a dumpy late fade. However, as they beat in they start to lose the heavy fade. Ballista Pros can even become somewhat flippy over time. They definitely aren't the most reliably overstable disc out there.