Old 03-27-2020, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 571 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
806.02D also doesn't mention that the player can finish the hole by making another throw from where they marked the lie. Does it really need to? Or can the player move on to another rule after complying with 806.02D?

The rules would grow huge if every rule had to list everything that happens for the rest of the round for all possible outcomes AFTER that rule is complied with.
Sorry Steve, I'm not clear what you're objecting to. 806.02D is about establishing a lie after an OB throw, not throwing or what happens after a throw.

My problem with binding the rule in time is 803.02E's phrase "following a penalty." What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 383 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post

Two things disturb me if a player can mark the lie on the 1m line *and* take optional relief from that lie without a penalty.

1) 806.02D enumerates the rules used to determine the lie after an OB. The wording ("or") indicates only one of the rules may be used. 802.06C also uses the singular "the applicable rule." Though not mentioned in the list of 806.02D, I am arguing that 803.02E is another rule that may be used by the player; but like the others must be the only rule applied.

2) 803.02E is poorly worded, in that "following a penalty" is unbounded. For example, if I throw OB on hole 4, do I get free optional relief for the rest of the round? That's not reasonable. I would bind the phrase to once the the next lie is established by rule, which allows using the rules as in my point 1, above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
806.02D also doesn't mention that the player can finish the hole by making another throw from where they marked the lie. Does it really need to? Or can the player move on to another rule after complying with 806.02D?

The rules would grow huge if every rule had to list everything that happens for the rest of the round for all possible outcomes AFTER that rule is complied with.
Exactly, Steve. Teem's "being disturbed" is being clouded by him trying to inherently tie the two rules -- 806.02 and 803.02 -- together when a throw goes out-of-bounds. They don't (because they ARE separate rules as he states) and they aren't (one is applied first, then the other). In fact many of us have stated in this thread that, procedurally, the player in this scenario should comply with 806.02, and make the mark of his choosing following the OB throw. After such compliance he may then elect to utilize 803.02 if he desires, make a new mark, and since it is optional relief after an OB throw, no additional penalty is applied.

Teem, surely, by now, you agree that the player may elect to take the optional relief here, right? He may do so at any time, right? So the only discussion point is, "does a additonal 1-throw penalty apply?" At least that's what I'm seeing.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by araytx; 03-27-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

And teem, I disagree that the "following a penalty" wording is unbounded. It is inherently tied to either an out-of-bounds or above two meters throw -- THAT throw.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Exactly, Steve. Teem's "being disturbed" is being clouded by him trying to inherently tie the two rules -- 806.02 and 803.02 -- together when a throw goes out-of-bounds. They don't (because they ARE separate rules as he states) and they aren't (one is applied first, then the other). In fact many of us have stated in this thread that, procedurally, the player in this scenario should comply with 806.02, and make the mark of his choosing following the OB throw. After such compliance he may then elect to utilize 803.02 if he desires, make a new mark, and since it is optional relief after an OB throw, no additional penalty is applied.

Teem, surely, by now, you agree that the player may elect to take the optional relief here, right? He may do so at any time, right? So the only discussion point is, "does a additonal 1-throw penalty apply?" At least that's what I'm seeing.
No. I stand by my earlier post. IF the RC had written 803.02E with something like "The player my take optional relief without penalty after establishing an IB lie under 806.02D," it would be clear.

btw, another wording issue is 803.02C

Quote:
A player who takes relief other than as allowed above receives one penalty throw.
and 803.02E is below it.

Sometimes literal interpretations are problematic
Old 03-27-2020, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
And teem, I disagree that the "following a penalty" wording is unbounded. It is inherently tied to either an out-of-bounds or above two meters throw -- THAT throw.
Most reasonable people would agree; but why not include a couple of clarifying words?

While thinking through this argument, I found myself parsing a "throw" into four steps:

1. Establish the lie
2. Take a legal stance
3. Throw the disc
4. Identify the resulting disc position

Most playing rules apply to the performance of one of these steps so that moving on to the next step changes the applicable rules (hence binding a rule's domain).
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
No. I stand by my earlier post. IF the RC had written 803.02E with something like "The player my take optional relief without penalty after establishing an IB lie under 806.02D," it would be clear.

Sometimes literal interpretations are problematic
Yes, teem, but rules-writers in all sports try very hard NOT to write procedures into the wording of a rule. They are different things.

Quote:
Most reasonable people would agree; but why not include a couple of clarifying words?

While thinking through this argument, I found myself parsing a "throw" into four steps:

1. Establish the lie
2. Take a legal stance
3. Throw the disc
4. Identify the resulting disc position

Most playing rules apply to the performance of one of these steps so that moving on to the next step changes the applicable rules (hence binding a rule's domain).
Like Steve, I don't see the RC as thinking that wording in either section of 803.02 is ambiguous at all. But everyone has their opinion, as they say.

And speaking of, your definition or "parsing" as you call it of the 'throw', is all well and good. I, though, do not see how the rulebook supports that interpretation.

Last edited by araytx; 03-27-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Yes, teem, but rules-writers in all sports try very hard NOT to write procedures into the wording of a rule. They are different things.

Like Steve, I don't see the RC as thinking that wording in either section of 803.02 is ambiguous at all. But everyone has their opinion, as they say.

And speaking of, your definition or "parsing" as you call it of the 'throw', is all well and good. I, though, do not see how the rulebook supports that interpretation.
Well it's a sequence that occurs in a certain order, and constrains a rule written for one situation being applied to a different situation -- making rule writing (and reading/interpreting) easier.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46
Courses Played: 387
Niced 1,891 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Most reasonable people would agree; but why not include a couple of clarifying words?....
Look up "following". It is not equivalent to the more general "after". The first definition in Merriam-Webster on line for "following" is "being next in order or time ". Using "following" instead of "after" was the clarification.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Well it's a sequence that occurs in a certain order, and constrains a rule written for one situation being applied to a different situation -- making rule writing (and reading/interpreting) easier.
You haven't confirmed my question to you yet. Do you agree that the player is allowed to choose the optional relief in this situation, and your only discrepancy is whether or not an additional one-throw penalty should apply?

Niced: (1)

Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
You haven't confirmed my question to you yet. Do you agree that the player is allowed to choose the optional relief in this situation, and your only discrepancy is whether or not an additional one-throw penalty should apply?
Oh, sorry.

My interpretation is that the player may choose to use optional relief without penalty if that is the one method used to establish an IB lie. If another method is used to establish the IB lie (1m, DZ, rethrow) then the player may use optional relief, but a penalty throw is applied.

Soin answer to your question, mostly yes.