Old 03-05-2020, 12:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 163 Times in 83 Posts

Gotta rant a little about this so I can look back on it when I'm better and see how I feel about it.

A favorite course of mine has moved its pins, lengthening 9 of its holes and transforming 6 of those into championship-caliber holes (there are no big tournaments in the near future that I'm aware of). Normally, lengthening of holes doesn't bother me, because I'll just play it like a par 4 and enjoy the challenge. But these particular pins are punishers. Very hard to reach even when I break the hole up into shorter positional shots. They aren't fun, they suck. It completely changes the feel of the course, and I'm not sure I'll be going back anytime soon.

I wish I had the cash lying around to purchase a bunch of baskets so the reasonable pins could be kept in, and the small minority of top-level players could have their arbitrarily difficult placements without it coming at the expense of the large majority of the people who enjoy the course.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 PM
Par Member

On the brighter side, I threw a Sidewinder, Beast, Leopard3, and Sol a fair amount today. Got to see how they fly when thrown correctly and when thrown poorly. I like all four of them! The Sol got onto beautiful turning lines with a dead straight finish when i threw it well, and it's probably the most comfortable disc in the hand that I've ever felt. The Leopard3 is a beauty, too. Beast is a bit much for my arm, but the Sidewinder I can lace nice and low and straight-ish, and get it out a little bit further than my Teebird3. Happy about this purchase.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:16 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 20
Niced 51 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Gotta rant a little about this so I can look back on it when I'm better and see how I feel about it.
How much farther are they in general?

FWIW, when I started playing one of the harder courses around the area about a year ago, I thought that a 489' par 4 wooded hole was really hard. Now, I am expecting to birdie it just as much as I par it.

Hopefully, at a later time, you find the hole is easier and maybe one day find it to be easy. That's part of the fun of getting better.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
How much farther are they in general?

FWIW, when I started playing one of the harder courses around the area about a year ago, I thought that a 489' par 4 wooded hole was really hard. Now, I am expecting to birdie it just as much as I par it.

Hopefully, at a later time, you find the hole is easier and maybe one day find it to be easy. That's part of the fun of getting better.
The most egregious ones are a 400+' tunnel (180' longer), a 400' that's about 40' uphill (170' longer) with plenty of trees, a 400 ft (50' longer) that was already the toughest hole on the course at ~340' with almost no line through the trees, and is now set way back on top of a hill beyond the already very tough landing zone, and a 470' (or more?) that is about 30' longer prevailing upwind and tucked into a little cut-in through the bushes. All par 3s of course.

I wasn't kidding lol. This went from a mids course to a crush fest.

But yeah, I'll see how I feel about this post a year or two from now
Old 03-06-2020, 02:08 AM
Bogey Member

Woah, that seems like a big change. If they were/are going to adapt the entire course to a gold level one, I guess they have to start somewhere. But having these holes that much longer and harder [uphill, more trees, and so on] with the same par makes it tough for the majority of players that can't par it.

Since there isn't a lot of scoring difference when you become better at the game, not adjusting the pars makes it harder to track your progress. Luckily on one of my favorite courses [AWOL @ Farragut State Park], all of the par 4s are 400-620' with the shorter one having a lot more trees. The longest part 3 is 337', but most of the holes have a decent amount of trees to make it challenging.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Par Member

Wasn't sure whether to even post this, but what the hey why not. I've only run into one big name on the course. It was an awkward and sorta douchey experience, to be honest. It was about a month ago on a nice winter day. Saw somebody throwing his entire bag at the hole in front of me and exclaiming a fair amount, and thought from his form and stature that it might be Nikko. I thought "cool, it'll be nice to say 'hi' to a legend." I noticed somebody filming him from up by the basket.

Surely, since he was throwing a couple dozen discs and could see I was coming up, he'd ask me to play through no problem. Nope. Instead, he grabbed his bag and started up the hill, and I had to wait for him to retrieve all of his discs (he wasn't slow about it or anything). I thought "hmm, that seems kinda rude."

Then they walked off ahead to a later hole to do some pictures or video or something. I caught back up to them and they were at the basket doing their thing. I shouted up a "Hey, how's it goin'?" and silence. Okay. I took a few practice swings and Nikko shouts back that I can play through. With him and his dude standing a couple steps from the basket. Really, dude?

They hawked my approach and as I walked up I tried again to engage in some kind of normal human being sort of way. Said hi and something about the great weather, I think. One of them grunted something unintelligible as they stared at me. I walk up to my disc, and noticed four discs. The other three belonged to Nikko and were arranged right in front of my lie. Seemed fitting.

I was a little cheesed by the bad manners and didn't acknowledge who he was, then airballed my really easy par putt (lol) and got along with my day. I know it's a small sport and not to expect anything special of pros, but I should expect at least the manner of a normal friendly person, especially since the majority of DGers I've played with or run into on the course so far have been pretty cool cats.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Par Member

Played four 18 hole courses today. Remind me not to do that again for a while, I simply can't afford the ibuprofen. 73 holes will have to be my PB for a while...

Had a funny little revelation today. A while back, when I first threw what I thought were "flex shots" I was actually early releasing + OATing. Ha! I realized this because after I got super tired today on the home stretch, I started doing that just so I could keep my tee shots in the fairway on the last two holes.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Par Member

Finally videoed myself throwing. Oof. It's not pretty. I'm not going to bother posting, because it's very obvious what needs to improve: I'm "spinning" as I throw, and not "hitting." I plant my foot and spin around it. This is not obvious from the first-person feel of the throw. It feels like I'm bringing the disc straight through and getting snap and following through naturally. That's not what is happening at all! LOL. When compared to all of the video I've watched, my throw is the "spinniest" of them all.

I'm definitely losing tons of power and accuracy. I've been shanking a fair bit recently despite feeling like I was throwing well. This is clearly happening to a large extent because there is a microscopic window where I can release and throw straight. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm doing as well as I am. I do generate enough power this way to fool myself into thinking I'm improving, and I'm happy that I've developed a respectable degree of timing regardless. So I do have hopes that retooling my throw will result in big improvements once I get straightened out.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:32 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Finally videoed myself throwing. Oof. It's not pretty. I'm not going to bother posting, because it's very obvious what needs to improve: I'm "spinning" as I throw, and not "hitting." I plant my foot and spin around it. This is not obvious from the first-person feel of the throw. It feels like I'm bringing the disc straight through and getting snap and following through naturally. That's not what is happening at all! LOL. When compared to all of the video I've watched, my throw is the "spinniest" of them all.

I'm definitely losing tons of power and accuracy. I've been shanking a fair bit recently despite feeling like I was throwing well. This is clearly happening to a large extent because there is a microscopic window where I can release and throw straight. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm doing as well as I am. I do generate enough power this way to fool myself into thinking I'm improving, and I'm happy that I've developed a respectable degree of timing regardless. So I do have hopes that retooling my throw will result in big improvements once I get straightened out.
Welcome to the club! When I first recorded myself, I was in the same boat. I suggest taking a video of yourself on a regular basis to keep that reality check going. It's something I have done and it's helped. I should have done a bit more fieldwork to improve my form sooner, but I love throwing plastic at trees!

Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
Welcome to the club! When I first recorded myself, I was in the same boat. I suggest taking a video of yourself on a regular basis to keep that reality check going. It's something I have done and it's helped. I should have done a bit more fieldwork to improve my form sooner, but I love throwing plastic at trees!
Following this advice, and I've taken some of the "spin" out of my throw. I'm a LOT slower through the power pocket than I expected (the silly spinning kinds of hides how slow I really am), but I can keep myself on a better plane with far less retooling than expected. Now I look more like a disc golfer instead of a goofball, but of course along with that I'm now over-reaching and not reaching straight back, so I'm hugging a little. Back foot is wide open and unable to transfer power forward efficiently.

Exciting to have tangible stuff to work on. I'm still not smooth enough to post for feedback, lots of obvious places to improve. Good times.