Old 03-24-2020, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,248 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Just glad dems have the important issues included in the virus funding bill. I never did get my obamaphone last time, there's renewed hope.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 10:59 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 170
Niced 2,556 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agibson View Post
I guess that's what they mean. But, they could have been clearer.

After a paragraph talking about how painful it was to cancel PDGA sanctioned events, etc.

This paragraph could perhaps be understood as reflecting on the canceling of sanctioned events, rather than a *new* call to not play even casual rounds. Without much explanation apart from "help to set a good example for communities everywhere".

With Indiana announcing its version of "lock down" today, I'll have to consider whether or not to play my local course. 2-3 miles up the road. Nearest park where you'd go for a hike. I played my first local round in years about a week ago, with my family, as a measure of social distancing. Had a great time. Only saw a few people the whole time, three conservations, none within six feet.

We'll all have to decide what's "reasonable" for the sort of outdoor exercise that most "lock down" orders seem to allow, I guess.
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down. NYC's quickly abandoned their strict lock down attempt for the same reason. China's not even bothering to count their deaths after literally welding people into their homes. "Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus. Keeping your distance from others, washing your hands, and disinfecting commonly used surfaces is good. Forcing yourself into solitary confinement is bad.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 305 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down.
Correlation != causation
Old 03-27-2020, 11:23 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 170
Niced 2,556 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
Correlation != causation
Shouting things at people without evidence isn't scientific either.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 172
Niced 851 Times in 353 Posts

Mmmkay, how's this for sciencing things up? The reference to "policies" refers to things like closing schools, limiting gatherings, restricting mobility, etc.

Preprint article, usual disclaimers apply (and many disclaimers are included in the article).

Quote:
Because infection rates in the countries we study would have initially followed rapid exponential growth had no policies been applied, our results suggest that these ongoing policies are currently providing large health benefits. For example,we estimate that there would be roughly 621x the current number of infections in South Korea, 36x in Italy, and 153x in Iran if large-scale policies had not been deployed during the early weeks of the pandemic. . . . our empirical analysis of existing policies indicates that seemingly small delays in policy deployment likely produce dramatically different health outcomes.
The Effect of Large-Scale Anti-Contagion Policies on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic (Preprint)

Do you believe that handwashing, keeping distance, and disinfecting common surfaces will keep the number of cases that require advanced medical care below capacity? Why do you think that others disagree?

Old 03-28-2020, 12:13 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 220 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down...

"Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus.
You realize the difference between when the virus is spread is much different than when cases are confirmed and deaths are recorded, right?

The exponential growth or "doubling" factor has slowed in Italy / Spain / The U.S. This is undoubtedly due to the stay at home measures. The daily amount of confirmed cases is much more flat in Italy / Spain and the increase in deaths can be contributed to the fact that healthcare systems can't keep up.

TLDR: "Stay at home" obviously helps flatten the curve of this virus and you shouldn't use today's confirmed cases/deaths to determine today's spread or exponential growth of the virus.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 180 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol....I had to go out grocery shopping for us, my Mom and my Father in Law, this afternoon. Lo and behold, I did fall right into the hoarding mentality. I got freaked out and bought three cases of Oberon in cans.....hell, you just know. Ok, I admit it....I panic bought beer.
Heh heh---though I know you know that alcohol affects your immune system adversely (granted, mostly when drunk in excessive amounts ). My brother and I just quit cold turkey 3 days ago---my last beer was a Bell's Hopslam DIPA, mmmmmmm.

And a late apology ---I didn't mean tell them "*uck off" literally, but that you do have a right to say "no" to protect your family. Be careful, ru4.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 370 Times in 230 Posts

So much bad info in this thread

Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,781 Times in 2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
You mean aquarium cleaner won’t inoculate me to coronavirus?

Old 03-28-2020, 12:38 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,524 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Why would this thread be different from most other threads (or conversations in real life for that matter)? Everyone has their opinions. Pretty common for quite a few of them to be at least misleading, if not completely baseless.