Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,840 Times in 1,006 Posts

Man, once you get past the moron contingent of disc golfers, you guys are a pretty smart bunch. Thanks for the great information.

A take away for me was that dish washing liquid would make a great hand soap, given it's detergent makeup. Much the way it works well for the oil of poison ivy.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 172
Niced 846 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
A take away for me was that dish washing liquid would make a great hand soap, given it's detergent makeup. Much the way it works well for the oil of poison ivy.
The hand soap bottles at my work lunchroom walked off weeks ago, so we have been using dish soap to wash our hands. Probably fewer moisturizers, etc. but seems to work pretty well.

Not coincidentally, the other work lunchroom seems to have twice as many hand soap bottles as before. So much for "we're all in this together" lol.

Reminds me of the old Palmolive commercials with Madge the Manicurist ("Softens your hands as you do the dishes"). Anyone else old enough to remember those?

Niced: (2)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,213 Times in 1,739 Posts

I was at an outpatient surgery center a few weeks ago, noting how many hand sanitizer dispensers were in the waiting room. I joked that we'd soon see a news story where a medical center had been burglarized, the drugs weren't taken but the Purell dispensers were.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-29-2020, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 160 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
John Hopkins site stays updated with latest numbers world wide.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
This site uses the data from JHU and plots the development in the rate of new infections:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/
Old 03-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 172
Niced 846 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
This site uses the data from JHU and plots the development in the rate of new infections:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/
Nice graphic. I hope anyone who sees it realizes that a straight line on a log scale = exponential growth.

And if exponential growth for a novel virus that causes severe illness doesn't get someone's attention, they need to brush up on their understanding of math.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,315 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I was at an outpatient surgery center a few weeks ago, noting how many hand sanitizer dispensers were in the waiting room. I joked that we'd soon see a news story where a medical center had been burglarized, the drugs weren't taken but the Purell dispensers were.
These stories are already out there.
Not burglaries necessarily, but sanitizer and ppe walking away in hospitals. They're having to lock it up to keep it from disappearing.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 408 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Man, once you get past the moron contingent of disc golfers, you guys are a pretty smart bunch. Thanks for the great information.

Yes dishwashing liquid makes a great hand cleaner. The thing that struck me was the fact that shaking your clothes could cause the virus to get airborne for up to 3 hours. It made me think of Grand Central Station in New York, and people who would have sneezed into their jacket and then taken their jacket off to sit down and have a coffee, Etc. That place just had to be full of the virus, I was thinking as soon as this thing hit that Grand Central should have been shut down.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,315 Times in 569 Posts

I wash my hands with Dawn all the time.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 716 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Nice graphic. I hope anyone who sees it realizes that a straight line on a log scale = exponential growth.

And if exponential growth for a novel virus that causes severe illness doesn't get someone's attention, they need to brush up on their understanding of math.
This whole thing has reeeeealy illuminated just how bad our collective understanding of math is in this country. Not just exponential growth, but large numbers.
“It only has like a 1% death rate!”
“Cool story bro, now let’s assume 10,000,000 people (< 3% of the population) get infected in the US. How many dead people is that?”

Old 03-29-2020, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,213 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
This seems to be the general situation. Sadly, a lot of people are going to get a real-world refresher course over the next few weeks.