Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 232 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical. The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though.
I *think* that when all is said and done, closing borders will have had the least impact of all of the interventions. At the point that the US did a limited closure, the virus was already established here. The non-nonsensical conditions of the closure also hurt it's effectiveness. If the goal was to stop the virus from entering the country than only restricting non-citizens from entering doesn't make sense. Covid isn't checking green cards.

If countries world wide had shut down all movement back in mid-January, it might have been a different story.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 38 Posts

Perhaps this will help a few people who aren't taking this seriously enough. I repeatedly see people talking down the deadliness of the virus. Mostly pointing out that we don't know how many people have been infected so the rate will be 'far lower' than the estimated 2%. But there are a few considerations that should give you pause before you comment:
- The people estimating 2% are attempting to account for the unreported infected numbers. How well are they doing that? We don't know.
- The figure you see of deaths / infected don't account for those that are currently infected that will later go on to die. i.e. there is a lag between 'identified' and death. Thought to be something like 14 days. If this is ignored it is easy to vastly underestimate the death rate.
- There are two strains of CV so far. Since the virus already mutated to jump to humans, then again to transfer between humans, it has the propensity to mutate into further strains and who knows what the individual rates are for each strain.
- It seems some people (at least, if not most or all) do not develop immunity from simply having the infection. Repeat infections are possible, and, in addition, perhaps catching the other strain will cause higher death rates.
- Immunity to influenza is short-term, it is thought that immunity to CV may also be, so if this becomes a seasonal infection then we may continue to experience these 2% risks.
- Most countries are experiencing death rates with relatively unstressed health systems. The figures represent death rates in these conditions. As conditions worsen death rates will rise. This may not only be from battlefield triage but also higher viral loads in the environment which may make the infections more deadly, or perhaps as people may experience two strains (or maybe more) concurrently.
- Death is not the only bad outcome. Many of those who survive hospitalization may have to deal with crippling lung damage.

All this is to say, there are potentially very significant short term and long term downside risks to not containing this as strongly as we can now.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-30-2020, 11:55 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,469 Times in 1,592 Posts

I definitely saw more people than usual on the course last week. Better weather than typical for this time of the year was certainly a contributing factor. But I suspect it might only get worse, as course closures funnel more traffic to remaining courses that stay open.

I hope Covidiots start distancing themselves, or a lot of the remaining courses will shut it down, too.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2020, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,835 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I definitely saw more people than usual on the course last week. Better weather than typical for this time of the year was certainly a contributing factor. But I suspect it might only get worse, as course closures funnel more traffic to remaining courses that stay open.

I hope Covidiots start distancing themselves, or a lot of the remaining courses will shut it down, too.
How's this for an unpopular opinion.....CLOSE THEM ALL DOWN. Sadly, our sport has clearly demonstrated a subsection that is either uneducated, dim or apathetic. They have clearly proven that, as a whole, we cannot be counted on to use common sense. Sadly, that places all the rest at risk. The risk is too great to let them continue. Let the Covidiots go gather someplace else. Go give a different activity a black eye. Maybe those tools can go give LARPing a bad name and get all of their park permits permanently pulled.

Sorry to any LARPers here.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
How's this for an unpopular opinion.....CLOSE THEM ALL DOWN. Sadly, our sport has clearly demonstrated a subsection that is either uneducated, dim or apathetic. They have clearly proven that, as a whole, we cannot be counted on to use common sense. Sadly, that places all the rest at risk. The risk is too great to let them continue. Let the Covidiots go gather someplace else. Go give a different activity a black eye. Maybe those tools can go give LARPing a bad name and get all of their park permits permanently pulled.

Sorry to any LARPers here.
Lol. I'd just play them as tree courses.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 86
Niced 368 Times in 201 Posts

I'm not all that worried about the kinds of people posting on here. Serious players with a generally decent amount of respect for the course and other players.

I'm more concerned with the guy who plays in a 6-some, draws disc chargers, tags baskets, breaks tree branches, litters beer bottles, etc. There's a hell of a lot more of those d-bags on the course on any given day. And you know they're going to keep showing up even after they start having a little cough. And they'll cough into their hands or out into the open air, and they'll touch the baskets and benches and tee signs.

Maybe you'll touch something they just coughed on. Or maybe you'll be next up on the tee, after they just got done having a coughing fit in the same spot.

These a-holes are everywhere, not just the disc golf course. That's why it's best to just stay the F home unless you NEED to go somewhere.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 716 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Perhaps this will help a few people who aren't taking this seriously enough. I repeatedly see people talking down the deadliness of the virus. Mostly pointing out that we don't know how many people have been infected so the rate will be 'far lower' than the estimated 2%. But there are a few considerations that should give you pause before you comment:
- The people estimating 2% are attempting to account for the unreported infected numbers. How well are they doing that? We don't know.
- The figure you see of deaths / infected don't account for those that are currently infected that will later go on to die. i.e. there is a lag between 'identified' and death. Thought to be something like 14 days. If this is ignored it is easy to vastly underestimate the death rate.
- There are two strains of CV so far. Since the virus already mutated to jump to humans, then again to transfer between humans, it has the propensity to mutate into further strains and who knows what the individual rates are for each strain.
- It seems some people (at least, if not most or all) do not develop immunity from simply having the infection. Repeat infections are possible, and, in addition, perhaps catching the other strain will cause higher death rates.
- Immunity to influenza is short-term, it is thought that immunity to CV may also be, so if this becomes a seasonal infection then we may continue to experience these 2% risks.
- Most countries are experiencing death rates with relatively unstressed health systems. The figures represent death rates in these conditions. As conditions worsen death rates will rise. This may not only be from battlefield triage but also higher viral loads in the environment which may make the infections more deadly, or perhaps as people may experience two strains (or maybe more) concurrently.
- Death is not the only bad outcome. Many of those who survive hospitalization may have to deal with crippling lung damage.

All this is to say, there are potentially very significant short term and long term downside risks to not containing this as strongly as we can now.
Yeah a lot of this is wrong. Don’t get me wrong we’re still boned, but not that boned.