Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 232 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
On that note:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...rvices-despite

... And I just heard on ABC world news tonight with David Muir, a pastor for a church in the New Orleans area was arrested for trying to get everybody to come to church.

I don't know who's dumber: the pastor or the congregants? It ain't rocket surgery: bringing hundreds of people together in one spot is stupid roll of the dice.

By all means, worship/pray if you want to. Just do it from home. It doesn't need to be a social event.
I think where we could run into real problems is with congregations that preach that the faithful won't be affected and that the virus exists to punish sinners. Many of these folks have been encouraged to distrust the media due to their beliefs conflicting with reality on issues like evolution. They are only taking direction that they believe comes from a higher power.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Sucks.
As does the WHOs continued insistence that it’s not airborne and masks aren’t necessary for the general public.
Hasn't it always been at least somewhat airborne from the start? It does seem the distance it can still spread in the air is getting greater and greater. But what I can't understand is, the amount of people coughing, etc, still going outside. I don't care if you feel great.. if you are coughing even the slightest...keep your a$$ at home.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:07 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,485 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
I think where we could run into real problems is with congregations that preach that the faithful won't be affected and that the virus exists to punish sinners. Many of these folks have been encouraged to distrust the media due to their beliefs conflicting with reality on issues like evolution. They are only taking direction that they believe comes from a higher power.
Yeah, I don't want to disparage anyone's religious beliefs, and I believe most people have enough common sense to do the right thing. I don't think it's going to be a problem for the vast majority of congregations.

But there are enough sheeple to out there belong to not quite fringe congregations that follow a bit too blindly, that this could become an issue. And you're right, there's a certain amount of conditioned mistrust of "the system."

It bothers me to think people might feel they have some sort of devine immunity, and be spreading Corona's gospel.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,840 Times in 1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Yeah, I don't want to disparage anyone's religious beliefs, and I believe most people have enough common sense to do the right thing. I don't think it's going to be a problem for the vast majority of congregations.

But there are enough sheeple to out there belong to not quite fringe congregations that follow a bit too blindly, that this could become an issue. And you're right, there's a certain amount of conditioned mistrust of "the system."

It bothers me to think people might feel they have some sort of devine immunity, and be spreading Corona's gospel.
I am having a horrible time with the old people around me. My Father in Law, my Mom, my Mom's friends. They are all in their 80's and 90's and they live for church. Far from lunatic fringe. I have callous's shouting at those folks. They either don't care or don't get it. I am gonna take away all their dang keys.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 31
Niced 128 Times in 65 Posts

There are people who truly believe that God has a plan for them. And of course, if and when they die, heaven awaits. While I don't share these views (I'm a heathen) it helps me make some sense of the motivations of others.

To each their own.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,485 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I am having a horrible time with the old people around me. My Father in Law, my Mom, my Mom's friends. They are all in their 80's and 90's and they live for church. Far from lunatic fringe. I have callous's shouting at those folks. They either don't care or don't get it. I am gonna take away all their dang keys.
Sounds like less than fun. You know far more than I about this thing, but I don't like an 80+ year old's chances if they come in contact with the virus. Don't want God calling anyone home before it's time.

I can't help but think that if someone's up there watching all of this play out, they're thinking:

"I've told you people through every possible means available: stay the **** at home. Were you expecting me to come down and tell you in person? Are you crazy? I'm not taking a chance catching it because all you people can't stay home.

Besides, what makes you think I want you bring it to my house? "

Old 04-03-2020, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 156
Niced 732 Times in 295 Posts

A couple of our local Facebook DG pages now have people blowing up at each other over whether they should play or not. There's arguments to both sides, but most posts overwhelmingly lean toward not playing until the authorities can get a handle on the virus. Some have a semi-legit argument that it's ok because they are taking extreme precautions and only playing solo. Others are calling people sheep and communists that hate America because they're not exercising their freedom, and just cowering in fear at home. Also, apparently, this is how Nazi Germany almost took over the world. I did not know that, lol.

We are on a state-wide stay-at-home order I believe until May 5th, and many municipal parks (with DG courses)are closed, but some are allowing foot traffic. The prevailing attitude here is 'let's all shelter in place so we can get this behind us ASAP, DG is not an essential activity', which I support. Others are continuing to play and increasing their risk to exposure. This is why we will probably be dealing with this longer than we should have to.

Those FB pages have become a complete and utter s***show and by the time this is all over it will get much worse, and there will be friendships that will not get mended. The ugly in some people is really coming out.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1,505 Times in 367 Posts

The natural state of humanity is to divide up into groups and to fling poop at each other. This new situation has just given people a new set of groups to form up into.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,213 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
A couple of our local Facebook DG pages now have people blowing up at each other over whether they should play or not. There's arguments to both sides, but most posts overwhelmingly lean toward not playing until the authorities can get a handle on the virus. Some have a semi-legit argument that it's ok because they are taking extreme precautions and only playing solo. Others are calling people sheep and communists that hate America because they're not exercising their freedom, and just cowering in fear at home. Also, apparently, this is how Nazi Germany almost took over the world. I did not know that, lol.

We are on a state-wide stay-at-home order I believe until May 5th, and many municipal parks (with DG courses)are closed, but some are allowing foot traffic. The prevailing attitude here is 'let's all shelter in place so we can get this behind us ASAP, DG is not an essential activity', which I support. Others are continuing to play and increasing their risk to exposure. This is why we will probably be dealing with this longer than we should have to.

Those FB pages have become a complete and utter s***show and by the time this is all over it will get much worse, and there will be friendships that will not get mended. The ugly in some people is really coming out.
That's probably going on most places.

In South Carolina we still do not have a stay-at-home order, and the courses are a patchwork of mixed messages. Naturally, we have a few people bragging about playing the courses that are clearly closed.....well, except the ones where the baskets were pulled, because of those people.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,335 Times in 746 Posts

Yeah, our FB group is divided on the issue as well. Lots of reasonable voices saying to stay away from courses, putt at home if possible, do field work, etc. Strong counter voices that refuse to be told what to do, some still claiming this is a media exaggeration and that the flu is worse. Those idiots are going to make this last much longer than necessary.

Niced: (2)