Old 04-01-2020, 02:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts
Default Tournament In The Bags?

I'd like to see Terry surprise a pro and do an impromptu in the bag the day of a tournament. lol.. Why don't we get to see exactly what the pros are bagging during a tournament? Why the big mystery?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 04:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,823 Times in 1,020 Posts

Maybe they sell more discs from the "Commentary what disc did they just throw" that most of the Commentators do these days.
Seems almost manatory these days that the players give the Commentators a list of whats in the bag.

I like what Paige did before Waco, she did a "whats in the bag for THAT tournament, and even THAT hole" . . i guess thats what you want more of?

Niced: (1)
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 577 Times in 249 Posts

Depending on the individual, there are some who like to keep their bag secret.
Nikko comes to mind...as well as some of the older in-state Pros I've been around.

They don't want a competitor to know what they throw, for concern that it will give them an advantage.
Most of the top-level Pros around seem to be much more collegial and openly share their knowledge.

I think most of the videographers try to talk to the Pros before the round to see what they'll be throwing.
Some are co-operative, some not.

My personal opinion is that ANY sponsored Pro would be unwise not to freely share their bag with Jomez or CCDG or any other videographer.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 124 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Nikko comes to mind...as well as some of the older in-state Pros I've been around.

They don't want a competitor to know what they throw, for concern that it will give them an advantage.
Most of the top-level Pros around seem to be much more collegial and openly share their knowledge.

I think most of the videographers try to talk to the Pros before the round to see what they'll be throwing.

My personal opinion is that ANY sponsored Pro would be unwise not to freely share their bag with Jomez or CCDG or any other videographer.
Any pro that is worried about another pro knowing what they are throwing as a disadvantage isn't worth their weight in salt.

that doesn't even make sense to me.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 577 Times in 249 Posts

Not disagreeing with you, at all.

Seems like I remember Ian from CCDG saying that not all Pros are okay with him knowing and broadcasting their bag and discs.

He was, as usual, gracious and kind, but he was explaining why he could not always fulfill the requests from so many viewers and Reddit Forums who want to know what the Pros are throwing.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 124 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you, at all.

Seems like I remember Ian from CCDG saying that not all Pros are okay with him knowing and broadcasting their bag and discs.

He was, as usual, gracious and kind, but he was explaining why he could not always fulfill the requests from so many viewers and Reddit Forums who want to know what the Pros are throwing.
agree with what you said above, if they are sponsored, its in everyone's best interest to share. i know i bought a bunch of stupid high speed stuff when i first started like an idiot because of what the big guns threw.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 104
Niced 381 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:

I can understand being a little secretive during the round especially if it is a windy or the course has a lot of elevation. I can even see lying during the round to mess with your competitors(for example when throwing into a headwind telling the card you threw a Teebird when you actually threw a Firebird.) But after the round is over I don't see the point in keeping it secret.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 175
Niced 797 Times in 370 Posts

If there were magical discs that gave you an advantage then I think the rest of the disc golf community would know about it by now and everyone would be using it. And I feel like the in the bags that we see are very close to what these pros throw in tournaments. Their bags might switch up more because they play and practice more so their discs beat in more often so they have to replace things more often.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 389 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:

I think the thing with Nikko is that he doesn't want to give a manufacturer free advertising. If he's going to mention somebodys brand he wants to get paid to do it

Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 80
Niced 95 Times in 43 Posts

I wonder if anyone is sponsored by "Brand X" and has 1 or 2 "Brand Z" discs in their bag and they don't want the company to know? I have absolutely no idea if that's the case or not.