Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 68 Times in 49 Posts

I use a Star Wraith for my FH shots and they just bomb! I bag 2 Stars and for my FH game. One is a Pre Climo that's more on the US side, the other is a PFN, both compliment each other. Great for hitting all kinds of lines. I also bag a Pro that I only throw for BH bombs. I haven't really thrown a Wraith in Champ so I don't know much about their flight. Such a great Disc!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 85 Times in 65 Posts

Hmm. I may have to try a pro and a star, see how they compare.
Are stars fairly consistent or do you see a huge variance disc to disc like destroyers
Old 04-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 393 Times in 222 Posts

You see a huge variation from disc to disc, just like the Destroyer
Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I haven't run into that yet... Thank god.

All my Star Wraiths have flown pretty consistent, but I did just get two more... Itching to try them now

Niced: (2)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 13
Niced 167 Times in 86 Posts

I find the Wraith pretty easy to throw with my noodle arm (280 avg drive w/Sidewinder). Gets about 20 feet further than my Sidewinder most of the time, and as long as I don't OAT the crap out of it, it finds the fairway okay. I don't know why it's easier to throw than something like the faster Destroyer or slower Beast for me, but it is. Not hard to keep the nose down, for one. Anybody know why that might be? Or is that more of an individual quirky thing?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 PM

Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
I find the Wraith pretty easy to throw with my noodle arm (280 avg drive w/Sidewinder). Gets about 20 feet further than my Sidewinder most of the time, and as long as I don't OAT the crap out of it, it finds the fairway okay. I don't know why it's easier to throw than something like the faster Destroyer or slower Beast for me, but it is. Not hard to keep the nose down, for one. Anybody know why that might be? Or is that more of an individual quirky thing?
I have been loving the Star Wraith, it has a rounded notch that I think helps with nose angle sensitivity. And the wing does not have any deep concavity to really put on the breaks. It has good stability, but is not overwhelming HSS or LSS. I would think that working that sidewinder would help as Star Wraiths show just a little drift for me at 400 feet and only turn at 425.

If you want an amazing Wraith, get a halo. They seem to go farther, I can't understand why, but in two days I have had looks on long baskets that I have never had a look at before. I have yet to capitalize.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 68 Times in 49 Posts

Hopefully soon they will release more Halo Wraiths!

Old 04-09-2020, 01:04 AM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I have several star and they vary like destroyers. I would say that of the 3 variables that seem to impact stability the most (PLH, wing concavity, dome) the ones I have had tend to have consistent wing concavity but do vary in PLH and dome. More dome and higher PLH generally being more over stable.

I think the width/depth of a destroyer wing being such a large chunk of plastic leads to more variability in runs, but wraiths definitely vary as well. I own 3 12x Climos all with different flights and a madison walker that is the most overstable of the bunch.

Personally, I love the box of chocolates you get with distance drivers and like that all 4 of my wraiths are worth bagging together along with PFN pro ones for turnovers.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:10 AM

Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

I don't think anyone would argue with variations with all faster drivers. Where the Wraith has an advantage over the destroyer is the consistency of the variation. There are a few domey Wraiths floating around, but they seem very consistent with mild dome. There are a few flatter wings, but they are consistently slightly concave. The only variation I really worry about is the PLH which does vary slightly, but has a significant impact on the flight because the Wraith is slightly overstable. If the PLH is slightly high it pushes it into OS flight and a little low pushes it to Stable to US flight.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 62
Niced 448 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
I find the Wraith pretty easy to throw with my noodle arm (280 avg drive w/Sidewinder). Gets about 20 feet further than my Sidewinder most of the time, and as long as I don't OAT the crap out of it, it finds the fairway okay..
This has been exactly me the past few days. I'm about 280' with my Star Sidewinder as well and for kicks, I grabbed a new DX Wraith I've had for over a year and saw about 25' extra.

I'm glad I gave it another try.