Old 03-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Wadpe's 2020 ITB

Been more active lately, but little rusty after the winter and snow.

Info.
Years of playing - Almost two years.
Throwing style - RHBH
Level - Hobbyist.

Putt's

D-line P2 175 - All inside circle1 and not going to chance it any time soon.
D-line P2 175 - Just extra for warmup and for water behind basket.

Mids

Kc Pro Roc 180 - Slightly OS.
Dx Roc - 280 Straight. Can go further if thrown in hyzer with more speed, otherwise it will just annie.
Kc Pro Roc 177 - Understable.
C-line MD3 - Understable, very beat-up.

Drivers

C-line FD 175 - Straight with gentle shots.
Star Roadrunner 175- understable, flip-and-fly.
Champ Savant 175 - Beat-up straight, similar to FD but with stronger fade.
Champ Firebird ??? - 12x PFN seasoned, more like a Gstar Thunderbird
Star Teebird 172 - Straight-to-OS.

Champ Wraith 171 - Max D with more fade and intended skip.
Star Wraith 175 - Same as above except little more stable.

That's about it. I am not quite getting the speed I want yet, but I am more control oriented and I want to believe it helps towards better technique and longer throws. I am not quite sure with the understable Roc and MD3, they kind of overlap. I need more training because half of my drives result in heavy OAT and it doesn't help with the midranges.

MD3 is so understable that it tends flip over even from slight hyzer and carries that annie, while the Roc is more like straight-no-fade from hyzer-release. Might give it a few tries, I like rocs as a mold very much.

For addition I would look for a OS putter/mid, maybe Star Roc3, MD5, Razor Claw, Zone, AVIARX3 or similar discs. So far I have been using drivers for skipshots or spikehyzers when it comes to approaches.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 AM
Bogey Member

Some additions I forgot to post:

D-line TD 175 - Quick Fliprollers, also troubleshots.
400 H3v2 - Feels awesome, overstable. For headwind and RHFH approuches.

My Star Teebird and Opto Explorer are very similar shaped but I like the Teebird better in my hand, the dome in explorer feels little uncomfortable. The explorer is more like a backup.

The 400 H3v2 feels slightly similar to my firebird except more stable, the firebird turns somewhat if thrown into headwind.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,376 Times in 1,730 Posts

It's interesting that you've been able to beat up a Champ Savant to an FD-"ish" flight. Was it a workhorse disc for you, that you threw a lot, or was it that way to begin with?

Niced: (1)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
It's interesting that you've been able to beat up a Champ Savant to an FD-"ish" flight. Was it a workhorse disc for you, that you threw a lot, or was it that way to begin with?
No it was pretty much a meathook when it was new. I didn't really have the power to throw it but it was more like hyzer-approuch disc. It has seen some heavy abuse, the champion plastic can hold the stability quite a long time. But I noticed that after like a year I got subbtle turn out of it, but it still has pretty hard fade. The biggest difference is probably that it doesn't skip like a distance driver.

For comparison my friend's Star Savant was pretty stable I really cant turn it at all, and my champ was pretty close to it originally. But then again for big arms something like a CD2 is not overstable.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Bogey Member

Went to throw today and had some problems with releases (rounding, the usual)

Putters
Same 2x D-line P2, S-line P2
D-line P1x - Beat-up, standstill anhyzer.

Mids
2x Kc Roc (1 straight with slight finish, one slightly understable)

Drivers
400 H3V2 - most stable
Champ Firebird - Slightly OS (seasoned)
Champ Savant - little beat-up, straight.
Star Roadrunner - Turnovers, hyzerflips.
C-line FD - straight.
D-line TD - Rollers.

I lost my Dx Roc

My newer KC Roc turned out to be pretty straight, I might need to get a more overstable midrange for windy stuff.

I'm leaving all my fast discs out since I don't consistent form yet, but I already felt similar to last year, but I didn't quite get the power I wanted. i am using the Champ Savant and Star Roadrunner the most, and KC roc for straight drivers. When the wind kicks in I switch to more stable discs.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:20 PM
Bogey Member

I have been practicing a lot with midranges and angle control, I feel more confident with hitting lines and woth my disc selection.

Putters: - I'm trying to keep this simple.
D-line P2 - Putts.
D-line P2 - Slightly understable thrower, backup for putts.
S-line P2 - Slightly overstable thrower.
D-line P1x - Quite beat-up, for ocasional short anhyzer.

Midranges:
Kc Pro Roc - Straight.
Kc Pro Roc - More beat-in understable.

Fairways:
Swirly S-line FD3 Doombird3 - Most overstable, just strong headwind and mostly approach disc.
H3v2 - Overstable but quite fast and goes pretty far, headwind disc.
Opto Explorer - Stable fairway when I want lots of control in the finish.
Champ Savant - Straight distance with ground control.
C-line FD - Straight.
Star Roadrunner - Understable.
D-line TD - Very understable, rollers.

Distance: Star Wraith

I'm quite happy with my form but the power is not quite there, I feel like I'm throwing smooth works but I am not going that far.

I also tried my friends mako3 and it flew super straight, also it was a bit faster. Don't know if I should invest in one.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 575 Times in 358 Posts

How far are you throwing? A Star Wraith is a pretty overstable disc for most "hobbyist" level players. If you like the feel of the Wraith but want something to pair it with that'll go straighter/farther, I'd take a look at a Trespass, a Plasma Wave, or a Neutron Vanish (listed in order from most to least stable). All of those feel a lot like a Wraith but will proabbaly perform better for you as a max distance driver.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:04 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 994 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
How far are you throwing? A Star Wraith is a pretty overstable disc for most "hobbyist" level players. If you like the feel of the Wraith but want something to pair it with that'll go straighter/farther, I'd take a look at a Trespass, a Plasma Wave, or a Neutron Vanish (listed in order from most to least stable). All of those feel a lot like a Wraith but will proabbaly perform better for you as a max distance driver.
If the Wraith in Star is too much try a Champion being that Champion is less OS plastic. I know people hate Champion for Destroyer like discs now since the top pro players only seem to like Star but Champion is not bad for Wraith or Destroyer.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Niced 575 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
If the Wraith in Star is too much try a Champion being that Champion is less OS plastic. I know people hate Champion for Destroyer like discs now since the top pro players only seem to like Star but Champion is not bad for Wraith or Destroyer.
I disagree with this. I've thrown plenty of Wraiths in both Star and Champion. They do come in a wide variety of stabilities, but that is driven more by PLH and dome than plastic type between the two. Recent Star runs have seemed to come out domey with a high PLH, but even a low PLH Champ is likely going to be a headwind-only disc for a hobbyist level player. A DX or Pro Wraith, especially in a lower weight, could be the answer for a max distance driver. But I think a Vanish will probably be a better choice if he really is "hobbyist" level as he self professes.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 994 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I disagree with this. I've thrown plenty of Wraiths in both Star and Champion. They do come in a wide variety of stabilities, but that is driven more by PLH and dome than plastic type between the two. Recent Star runs have seemed to come out domey with a high PLH, but even a low PLH Champ is likely going to be a headwind-only disc for a hobbyist level player. A DX or Pro Wraith, especially in a lower weight, could be the answer for a max distance driver. But I think a Vanish will probably be a better choice if he really is "hobbyist" level as he self professes.
Pro, never thought about that and yes those will wear in nice, Pro Usually does wear in nice.