Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default So just returning... what discs have really made a splash

When I last played (2016) vibram was still around, the colt and stud were new, and RDG was riding a wave of popularity and the tyrant was coming out.

I imagine quite a bit has changed. What do you guys think has been some of the most significant disc, plastic, or brand changes in the last few years?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2020, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 32
Niced 716 Times in 434 Posts

Discmania is now partnered & manufacturered by three different companies. They used to just be affiliated with Innova but now they're associated with Lat64 & a Chinese manufacturer too.

Paul McBeth made a splash by leaving Innova for Discraft & now has his own line of discs with them.

Kastaplast from Sweden is a smaller company on the rise.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Discmania is now partnered & manufacturered by three different companies. They used to just be affiliated with Innova but now they're associated with Lat64 & a Chinese manufacturer too.

Paul McBeth made a splash by leaving Innova for Discraft & now has his own line of discs with them.

Kastaplast from Sweden is a smaller company on the rise.
Kastaplast had the kaxe out when I was still throwing. I threw them in various plastics, which felt great. Wasn't too into the mold though.

I saw that with discmania. Are the sponsored folks still allowed to bag innova and discmania?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,294 Times in 831 Posts

I’ll just do a rundown on the companies;

Innova- lost Paul, added Ricky and a couple of young Northern European girls Henna and Evolina who can really play. Have done sever new discs that are well received the Rat mid, Firefly putter and have some new plastic blends Nexus, and Halo Star.
millennium- new os driver called the Draco that a ton of pros are bagging.

Infinite Discs- released a line made by Innova, the Slab(Max), Anubis(Coyote), Ra(RocX3/VRoc hybrid, and Emperor(like a mellow Destroyer) are pretty good.

Discraft- made a big splash adding both Paul’s and Paige P, made McBeth his own line of discs and have him nearly every popular mold as a signature disc. Made a putter for Paige as well.

Lat64-several new discs like the Explorer and Anchor that are good. Lost Ricky but some of their younger players like Emerson Kieth and Tristan Tanner are doing well. Did a pro version of the Saint and Ballista that are a little more Os and very popular.

DD- Obvs list Paige P, Paige B won worlds for them but has done little since. Eric Oakley has probably become their best male player. Not as many hot new discs since the Felon/Justice came out. Sheriff and Captain are well review in the understable bomber category. Fanboy mania died down hard when Discraft made all of their moves.

Westside- bought out in a joint purchase by DD/L64 has sponsored Nikko and made a Firebird clone called the Ahti and beadless mid that many seem to like in the Gatekeeper.

MVP- discontinued a ton of discs including most of their mids and have been introducing some slowly to replace. Deflector OS mid is very good.

Axiom- same deal as MVP

The also came out with a new brand called Streamline that is all single shot molds. The Pilot putter, trace fairway driver and Flare Os driver are all very good.

Mint discs is new, and most say the are molded by MVP their fairway driver the Alpha is very popular.

Kastaplast- several new discs, Berg o&a is well regarded as is the new Grym distance driver.

Reptillian- made the Gila Os mid and Stego super OS utility disc and hasn’t had a lot new. Still much loved here and elsewhere.

Prodigy- Did retooled versions of their H series and a more OS Max version of their D series(maybe some F series too I don’t know Care about Prodigy that much)
Kevin Jones throws for them now and is probably their best at this point.

Several small companies like RPM, Viking, Yikun and other have made some cool discs no one seems to care too much about. RPM Kahu, Piwakawaka and Kea are good, Viking Rune, Knife, Barbarian and Thor I like. Yikun Lu, Hammer and Crossbow are also good.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:17 PM

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_08 View Post
Kastaplast had the kaxe out when I was still throwing. I threw them in various plastics, which felt great. Wasn't too into the mold though.

I saw that with discmania. Are the sponsored folks still allowed to bag innova and discmania?

I think for those who have been with the team long enough that’s grandfathered into their contracts so “yes” but DM has been busy releasing /tweaking molds and lines so they now have a more complete lineup. As a result most of the DM team has phased most of the innova out of their bag, with just a few exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Niced: (1)
Old 04-07-2020, 09:24 PM

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

In other DG news, MVP has another line besides Axiom called Streamline, avail in same quality plastic but without the overmold. think the Trace may have been around when you went on hiatus but they’ve released other quality molds, and all at great price points.

Similarly, Infinite Discs (the retailer) now has a good lineup (made by Innova) and there are some nice ones in it. They are also now sponsoring pros and allowing them to throw mixed bags, see Drew Gibson and Dave Feldberg as examples.

Innova’s swirl game is still pretty bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-07-2020, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

My research shows that they all make a splash

Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 995 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:

Yep at least Eagle had a new Max in his bag. Innova nope, in fact it was to the point Innova copied verbatim the P1 and P2 with the whale and a disc that Innova made for Discmaina.

Oh Infinite Discs has its own lineup of discs from Innova factory and has players with open bags Including Dave F and recently Garrett Gurthie.

MVP has a 3rd brand making discs now Streamline a non overmold disc.

Discraft has Paul and Paul on the team, as well as a few Dynamic Disc players as most left the team of strictly Dynamic Disc. But Latitude 64 has retained its players.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:58 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 995 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
IÂ’ll just do a rundown on the companies;

Innova- lost Paul, added Ricky and a couple of young Northern European girls Henna and Evolina who can really play. Have done sever new discs that are well received the Rat mid, Firefly putter and have some new plastic blends Nexus, and Halo Star.
millennium- new os driver called the Draco that a ton of pros are bagging.

Infinite Discs- released a line made by Innova, the Slab(Max), Anubis(Coyote), Ra(RocX3/VRoc hybrid, and Emperor(like a mellow Destroyer) are pretty good.

Discraft- made a big splash adding both PaulÂ’s Ulibari/McBeth and Paige P, made McBeth his own line of discs and have him nearly every popular mold as a signature disc. Made a putter for Paige as well. XL is only in Pro D now Z is oop plastic, something that made some Am players not happy as now thanks to PP she is keeping the only good plastic OS Fairway speed driver around, the Z Stalker.

DGA made the Steady, the closest clone to the Wizard out to date. also the Steady BL the same disc Gateway makes that is the Wizard without a bead. Voodo or Warlock I forget.

Lat64-several new discs like the Explorer and Anchor that are good. Lost Ricky to Innova but some of their younger players like Emerson Kieth and Tristan Tanner are doing well. Did a pro version of the Saint and Ballista that are a little more Os and very popular.

DD- Obvs list Paige P, Paige B won worlds for them but has done little since. Eric Oakley has probably become their best male player. Not as many hot new discs since the Felon/Justice came out. Sheriff and Captain are well review in the understable bomber category. Fanboy mania died down hard when Discraft made all of their moves as well as a one to Innova. the Fanbase is still there but those that stayed moved more to Latitude 64 player side, basically in the same family.

Westside- bought out in a joint purchase by DD/L64 has sponsored Nikko and made a Firebird clone called the Ahti and beadless mid that many seem to like in the Gatekeeper. Some love the Giant too.

MVP- discontinued a ton of discs including most of their mids and have been introducing some slowly to replace. Deflector OS mid is very good.

Axiom- same deal as MVP

The also came out with a new brand called Streamline that is all single shot molds. The Pilot putter, trace fairway driver and Flare Os driver are all very good.

Mint discs is new, and most say the are molded by MVP their fairway driver the Alpha is very popular.

Kastaplast- several new discs, Berg o&a is well regarded as is the new Grym distance driver.

Reptillian- made the Gila Os mid and Stego super OS utility disc and hasnÂ’t had a lot new. Still much loved here and elsewhere.

Prodigy- Did retooled versions of their H series and a more OS Max version of their D series(maybe some F series too I donÂ’t know Care about Prodigy that much)
Kevin Jones throws for them now and is probably their best at this point. Yep as

Several small companies like RPM, Viking, Yikun and other have made some cool discs no one seems to care too much about. RPM Kahu, Piwakawaka and Kea are good, Viking Rune, Knife, Barbarian and Thor I like. Yikun Lu, Hammer and Crossbow are also good.

Wham-O is back to making a 3 disc set very similar to the driver, mid,and putter great for beginers and still makes the odd MaxFlight
Fixed in red.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 194
Niced 826 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
When I last played (2016) vibram was still around, the colt and stud were new, and RDG was riding a wave of popularity and the tyrant was coming out.

I imagine quite a bit has changed. What do you guys think has been some of the most significant disc, plastic, or brand changes in the last few years?
It's probably worth just scanning through the threads in this disc forum. Some new molds that come to mind and seem to have staying power are Innova's Shryke, Discraft's Vulture (was the Undertaker already out back then?). Some of Paul's new discs (Luna is especially popular, it's hard to say where the Kong and Anax will end up) have had a lot of buzzz (pun intended).

Overall, there's still nothing that fixes form flaws. We also all know that plastic just gets better with time. I'd bet your 2016 discs are even nicer now than when you last threw them. See if they're still working for you and then see what gaps need filling.