Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 113 Posts
Default Remembering your first time

So, I have fond memories of my first round of disc golf. I was horrible but hooked from the get go. Only been playing for a little over three years but it’s funny to look back on that first time.

I had a brother in law that invited me out to play. Loaned me a few discs and gave me a couple of pointers but bread new to the game at that time as well.

I can’t remember all of the discs he gave me to use but I do remember the Destroyer he loaned me. Awesome disc for a first timer, right?

I specifically remember shooting a 5 or 6 on the first hole. I think it’s about a 195 foot par three. It went something like 60 foot hyzer off the tee, another 60 foot hyzer, one more 60 foot throw, a missed putt, probably another missed putt, and finally in the basket.

The whole round pretty much went similarly. I was horrible but it was fun so I stuck with it.

Not sure I really kept track of my score that day but I bet I was 20 over for nine holes.

I still play that little nine hole course from time to time just to practice my upshots and putting. These days if I am not down 7 or 8 I am disappointed in myself.

Anyone else remember their first round ever?
Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 476 Times in 164 Posts

May 2015 at a course really close to my house, with a friend visiting from Philly who’s been playing for 15 years. He let me throw his beat to hell DX Wraith and I was actually decent. I got the x-step down right away, and I was able to chuck it around 200’ consistently. At the time I thought I sucked because I was comparing myself to him, but in retrospect and having played with first-timers since then, I really took to it. Biggest issue was nose angle too high (which plagued me for my first year too).

My friend loaned me some discs, then I went nuts researching discs on this board and elsewhere and ordered dozens in the next few months, and I was playing 3-4 days a week from then on. Crazy how that one round hooked me so completely. I was addicted to Jomez/CCDG videos immediately too.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 160 Times in 76 Posts

Around the time the swiss DG association was founded me and some buddies from Ultimate took some Ultrastars to the next forest. There were beers and just trees to play to. But i guess that's how way back in the days Steady Ed started it to get away from the serious Frisbee people.

I still know some of the holes we created 25 years ago. We went there quite often. Great times.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,248 Times in 1,167 Posts

All I remember was that I was in college; it was '88 or '89. Some guys from work invited me and another guy to play; we showed up with novelty Frisbees and had to buy golf discs from a dude in the parking lot. I was terrible; the guys never tried to help me and just laughed and mocked me the whole round. I was not hooked. I didn't start playing with any sort of regularity until five or six years later when I was booted off my softball team for athletic incompetence; I also was not hooked then, but it was cheap and I was bored. I never did have that "I'm hooked" moment. I just got involved with a club, volunteered to run leagues and tournaments, and had stuff to do. It became a habit; it got me out of the house. It still does.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,592 Times in 613 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

We started tossing Frisbees when I was about 12 years old (50 years ago). After high school a friend found out about a Frisbee golf course in a park west of Cincy so we took our Frisbees and played for 2 years. That was either 79-80 or 80-81. I don't recall the first round there but I do remember the course and some of my memorable shots.

It was 1987 when I was introduced to disc golf.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,286 Times in 825 Posts

I played first with a friend who had gotten hooked on in Eugene OR around 2012. We got a couple of discs a mr a small shop that doesn’t exist anymore and went to a park I still play a lot. I did bad, but not terrible, and on about hole 14 I discovered I could throw it overhand like a baseball and it went farther than my friend.

Bought some discs quickly and got to put up decent scores by chucking tomahawks near enough to baskets as not to need to putt from that far. Actually learned how to play the game over the next few years and caught the bug hard when I started traveling a ton for work, especially in the upper Midwest and northwest where the golf is really good and courses are everywhere.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,104 Times in 470 Posts

Junior year of high school for me. Girlfriend's dad had 4 discs; we borrowed them all and invited 2 friends along. Everybody was one discing it.

My disc that day was a DX Shark. I played a good bit of Ultimate back then, and I was mystified that the Shark would go left...even when I threw it level!

We played Wakanda Park in Menomonie, WI. I can't imagine what our scores were. Double par seems optimistic.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:17 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 195 Times in 69 Posts

I remember it like it was yesterday. 1969, I was a high school junior, she was a college freshman.... oh wait.... nevermind. Wrong forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 172
Niced 846 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
We started tossing Frisbees when I was about 12 years old (50 years ago). After high school a friend found out about a Frisbee golf course in a park west of Cincy so we took our Frisbees and played for 2 years. That was either 79-80 or 80-81. I don't recall the first round there but I do remember the course and some of my memorable shots.

It was 1987 when I was introduced to disc golf.
Yes my timeline is pretty similar, tossing 165 Wham-O Frisbees at Calvert Road. But I was playing other sports (water polo, volleyball, etc.) so disc golf was a once-or-twice-a-year thing until probably late 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
. . . I was mystified that the Shark would go left...even when I threw it level!
That's exactly how we felt switching from 165 Wham-O Frisbees to the Aviar, which I think was considered a driver when it came out. Whoa, crazy overstable! [Disclaimer: terminology probably not invented yet].

But the Aviar would go way farther than a Frisbee under low-branched trees, so we persisted.

Niced: (2)

Old 04-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 65
Niced 82 Times in 43 Posts

It took me a while. A county park by my house had a course around 1987 that I really wanted to take a Frisbee to, but my parents never took me. Fast forward to college in 2009 when I learn that a lot of my college friends play, and that a lot of my friends back home have picked up the game at that same county park. But I was broke and had no life in college (class, study, class, work, study, sleep). So no disc golf.

Finally in 2010 my boss started dating this guy who took her on an early date, and they both decided I'd love the game. So they brought me along the next time they went and handed me a Champ Valk and some sort of Discraft putter. Two things worked out in my favor in that round. This guy (now a good friend, coworker, and my boss's husband) wasn't very good. So when my first shot went almost as far as his did it gave me hope that I had a chance at this game. And they played at a pitch and putt whose longest hole was maybe 220' up a slight hill, and the shortest was a 67' thumber or newb spike hyzer over a bush. So I enjoyed myself immensely without feeling outmatched.

I immediately drove to Play It Again and bought three discs and a starter bag. I got a Champ Monster, DX Gazelle, and Star Dart. Obviously nobody at the store helped me as an obvious overwhelmed beginner. And with that little insert that came with the bag that described various molds and skill levels I dove right down the rabbit hole.