Old 03-15-2020, 09:08 PM

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Oi Vey.. Composure advice?

Hey people.

I played my local clubs Ice Bowl today. First round was fun and hilarious, shanked shots were laughed at and made the best of.

But, second round my competitiveness got the better of me. I know I can shoot par or better at the course, but, I went out and shot an emberassing +11. I was furious after ending up +5 over 4 holes.

So, for you fellow competitive people out there, how do you handle keeping collected and not Nikko'ing? I won't lie, I smacked my leg and let out a few trucker words, and I'm not exactly proud of it. But, I'd like to hear how you guys handle terrible rounds? I've always been obscenely competitive, mostly with myself, but sometimes I feel like it absolutely gets the best of me.

I feel like this is a strategy style question sooooooo.... Lol

Thanks,
Colin.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-15-2020, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,503 Times in 1,011 Posts

Read Golf is not a Game of Perfect... rinse... repeat.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:31 PM

Courses Played: 49
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Leave it at the basket.

Instead of focusing on your overall round score, try focusing on and trying to get encouraged on a per shot basis. 3 Bogeys in a row? No problem, cause you just sank a 30' birdie putt. No it doesn't fix the round, but it does let you stay more positive.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-15-2020, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,210 Times in 1,737 Posts

After a couple of extended injury absences, playing badly doesn't seem so bad. It beats not playing at all.

I don't recommend you try that prescription, but it's helped me.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:40 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 140 Times in 69 Posts

Why do you care about keeping your composure? Because you want to be a decent person? Because you want to avoid damaging your score during a tantrum?

Obscene competitiveness usually leads to infantile behavior.

Aside from my basic mild nature, perspective on the situation prevents me from losing composure. During a game of disc golf, absolutely nothing of value is at stake. Throwing a plastic toy better than another guy isn't going to boost my ego. Winning a few discs or dollars means nothing. Such an approach tears down competitive feelings, so some other form of motivation must be introduced to maintain interest.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-15-2020, 09:58 PM

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Why do you care about keeping your composure? Because you want to be a decent person? Because you want to avoid damaging your score during a tantrum?

Obscene competitiveness usually leads to infantile behavior.

Aside from my basic mild nature, perspective on the situation prevents me from losing composure. During a game of disc golf, absolutely nothing of value is at stake. Throwing a plastic toy better than another guy isn't going to boost my ego. Winning a few discs or dollars means nothing. Such an approach tears down competitive feelings, so some other form of motivation must be introduced to maintain interest.
Its just something I've struggled with in every sport I've played. I get frustrated, and end up either in trouble with the organization, or banned (Kicked out of a Hockey League, kicked out of a Rugby League, you know, the goods, mostly for fighting, but I mean, contact sport... Try and have a go at me lol). I've gotten drastically better at not letting it get to me, but I still get the "what in the absolute **** am I doing here" moments.

I think of the game of disc golf as UFO hunting. I throw my disc, I look for it, I throw it again, a never ending story. I think it may be me setting perhaps an unrealistic goal for myself and not being able to achieve it, and that is frustrating.. that's the only thing I can really think of right now that might be eating at me.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:20 PM

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Calm and composed. Like ripping a one timer... and what Biscoe said
Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,835 Times in 1,005 Posts

Once read a quote by Ken Climo....I believe. Don't have it written down, but in effect it said that disc golf only has a handful of minutes, where you are actually competing and throwing the disc. Work hard for those few minutes and enjoy your day outside for the rest. Most of a round is enjoying the company of your friends and nature.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:59 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 79 Times in 50 Posts
Default Disc golf is all about having FUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHildebrandt View Post
Hey people.

I played my local clubs Ice Bowl today. First round was fun and hilarious, shanked shots were laughed at and made the best of.

But, second round my competitiveness got the better of me. I know I can shoot par or better at the course, but, I went out and shot an emberassing +11. I was furious after ending up +5 over 4 holes.

So, for you fellow competitive people out there, how do you handle keeping collected and not Nikko'ing? I won't lie, I smacked my leg and let out a few trucker words, and I'm not exactly proud of it. But, I'd like to hear how you guys handle terrible rounds? I've always been obscenely competitive, mostly with myself, but sometimes I feel like it absolutely gets the best of me.

I feel like this is a strategy style question sooooooo.... Lol

Thanks,
Colin.
My view on disc golf is: Disc golfing is the not about driving furthest, putting best,

or lowest score, it's about having the most fun hucking plastic in the woods!

Neat quote, "Golf is a good walk spoiled"

The opposite is true for dg. Disc Golf is a good walk made Great.

Just breathe, enjoy being in nature, calm your thoughts, and have fun throwin'

plastic in the woods!

Old 03-16-2020, 02:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 20
Niced 51 Times in 38 Posts

I am a fairly competitive person and use this to fuel my progression in disc golf. I don't focus on playing better than someone else, but I do like to play as well as I know I can play... that's the competition. If I am playing alone below my par... I can't get a bit frustrated, which never helps my game.

Two things Sarah Holkom once said in a video that I tried to remember...

1. I take a mastery approach to the game. So every shot is a chance to learn for future shots.

2. Focus on what you are doing instead of how you are doing. Because you can throw a few bogeys in a row, but that doesn't really have anything to do with your next throw... unless you choose to have them affect the shot.