Old 03-19-2020, 07:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 382 Times in 234 Posts
Default New "throw after OB" rule (from couple years)

Looking at the situation below, Matt Bell teeing on hole 17 at Waco, throws his first throw OB (26:31 if the vid doesn't come right up), then apparently takes his next throw from the standard OB spot, 1 meter from where he went OB. Wouldn't this be one of those situations where it would have been to his advantage to move back further on the line of play to give himself a better angle on that next sidearm -- the free optional relief in 803.02 E.? Granted he did execute reasonably well and get an unlucky rollaway. But I was thinking when I was watching it live, why didn't he move further back from the OB?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 02:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 571 Times in 279 Posts

The rule is:

Quote:
No penalty throw is added if optional relief is being taken following a penalty taken for a disc out-of-bounds or above two meters.
It's not clear whether he can move the lie in bounds one meter, before taking optional relief. If he can, then it might be the right play; but I would rule he cannot -- based on the theory that the meter in is, itself, relief.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 43 Times in 30 Posts

Yes....check Rules>Questions and Answers: Out Of Bounds > QA-OB-04:

QA-OB-4: My disc went OB. Can I use the optional relief rule to mark my lie back along the line of play, instead of one meter from OB?
Yes. Optional relief is available for free (without adding a penalty throw) after a throw that results in a penalty throw and that requires placement of a lie (such as OB or above two meters).
Old 03-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 150
Niced 477 Times in 218 Posts

Looks like it would have been a great time to use that rule. It would have backed him away from the trees a little bit and given him a more gentle corner to get around.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,053 Times in 457 Posts

wait....

are you saying that a touring professional didn't know the rules? get outta here.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 408 Times in 240 Posts

I've been wondering what the actual procedure would be to mark the lie back along the line of play. Mark a temporary lie within 1 meter of OB first? Then mark the lie you're actually going to use along the line of play in line with that temporary lie and the basket's pole?
Old 03-20-2020, 02:59 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,949 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
I've been wondering what the actual procedure would be to mark the lie back along the line of play. Mark a temporary lie within 1 meter of OB first? Then mark the lie you're actually going to use along the line of play in line with that temporary lie and the basket's pole?
Good question but it would seem you either take the up to one meter from last point IB or you move back on the LOP from the last point IB when taking Optional Relief. A related question might be whether you can first go to the drop zone and then continue back from there on the LOP taking optional relief.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Once you mark you lie...that is the lie. So if you take 1 meter in, that's your lie....you can't then change it. It's 'instead of' not 'in addition to'.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Good question but it would seem you either take the up to one meter from last point IB or you move back on the LOP from the last point IB when taking Optional Relief. A related question might be whether you can first go to the drop zone and then continue back from there on the LOP taking optional relief.
Once you go to the drop zone, you've made your choice of lie. You can't change the lie at that point.

That's why you will see people discussing their options before making the decision/placing their marker.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:26 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,949 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Once you go to the drop zone, you've made your choice of lie. You can't change the lie at that point.

That's why you will see people discussing their options before making the decision/placing their marker.
If the drop zone is temporarily covered with casual water, I could see getting casual relief on LOP from drop zone, but agree under normal circumstances, optional relief has to be marked on the LOP back from the last point IB not from the drop zone.