Old 03-31-2020, 02:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 44 Times in 31 Posts
Default Backhand Walk/Run Up - No X step

I'm uncoordinated.....I want to start using a walk/run up for my backhand.

For my forehand, I've see videos of "hops", "skips" and am using a "hop" which works well.

For my backhand...I'd like to do something besides an X step and tripping over my own feet. But I don't see any videos of any walk/run up that don't use an X step.

Any suggestions/advice on doing a non-X step walk/run up?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 03:18 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Eric Oakley does it without a X-step.
10:50

Niced: (1)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 44 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraping Micha View Post
Eric Oakley does it without a X-step.
Thank you. I've seen that video a long time ago and never noticed that. He does do an X-step at the very start, but then at the end of the walk/run up, where everyone else does the X-step he does that sideways hop. I'll have to give that a try. I watched it a couple of times and he seems to do the X-step at the very start to get his legs in position to be able to do the hop (so that he can move his right leg farther forward than he would from a standstill start).

For me, the X-step at the start should be do-able without tripping since I wouldn't really be moving at the same time. X-Step (left leg behind right), extend right leg forward, hop left foot to right foot, move right foot forward, throw.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:47 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 113 Posts

Im a little uncoordinated myself. Most with my feet. Probably why Im not much of a dancer.

Anyhow, I ended up shortening my x step and slowing down my approach and it really helped the timing of my shot.

Might be something you could try.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:29 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Thank you. I've seen that video a long time ago and never noticed that. He does do an X-step at the very start, but then at the end of the walk/run up, where everyone else does the X-step he does that sideways hop. I'll have to give that a try. I watched it a couple of times and he seems to do the X-step at the very start to get his legs in position to be able to do the hop (so that he can move his right leg farther forward than he would from a standstill start).

For me, the X-step at the start should be do-able without tripping since I wouldn't really be moving at the same time. X-Step (left leg behind right), extend right leg forward, hop left foot to right foot, move right foot forward, throw.
yeah. if you crow-hop or x-step - its the rhythm and the width of the last 3 steps. the last step into the brace demands a tiny pause if you will. watch danny lindahls video. its about to stay sideways and to get the right rhythm.

for a RHBH I "start" just the x-step like this. should translate to a cro-hop as well:

1) feet more or less together, weight on the toes, standing sideways to the line of run up (which is for ME about 10 to the trajectory line - watch loop ghost for that), butt out.

2) shifting my body to the right run up line, right foot starts to stride out, not too far, butt is still out.

3) right foot touches ground on the toes, weight shifts fully on that foot, in that moment the left foot lifts up and comes quick right behind or just near the other foot, just a couple of inches. butt still out!

4)the bodyweight is still shifting the balance and you prolong that shift and stride out longer with the right foot to brace at least 90 from the line of trajectory, a little bit in front of that line, touching with the inside toes first to roll over to flat and fully brace on the outside of the foot.

thats MY personal perspective of the footwork, as far as i can express myself in english. its not my native toungue.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:34 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

forgot the videos

this was such a game changer for me! grab something realy heavy and mimic that...then you feel the brace we all try to achieve.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 334
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 399 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I don't see any videos of any walk/run up that don't use an X step.

there probably aren't any because not using an X step is probably not going to net good results. the hop is a more advanced technique and i'd imagine most coaches wouldn't advise skipping the x step and going straight to the hop.

if you're feeling uncoordinated doing the x step then you probably have issues transferring weight and getting the lower body involved in power production.

a better solution would be to learn throwing from a standstill
Old 03-31-2020, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 126 Times in 56 Posts

Devan Owens does a crow hop.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,424 Times in 2,089 Posts

Old 04-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 30 Posts

I think I can throw probably 90%+ from just a single step for my backhand, similar to the motion for a baseball pitcher. For some of my friends who play but don't work on form, they generally throw way better from a standstill/single step than they do from a run up.

Last edited by Tinkles; 04-01-2020 at 10:44 AM.