Par Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 213 Times in 69 Posts
Default Love the Possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
GMC becoming Worlds again wouldn't be the worst thing,
GMC becoming Worlds again would be awesome.

I already have a lean-to reserved at Smugglers Notch State Park that week, as I was planning on spectating GMC.

I wouldn't mind if Worlds was at Smuggs every year in September; I went to spectate in 2018 and it was great! The facility is perfect (two world-class courses on one property with great accommodations, Fallfest, gorgeous mountains, great craft beer, amazing scenery, tons of other great outdoor activities). Jeff Spring knows how to run a great event. Also, you rarely hear anything negative said about either of the courses by the professionals.

I went to Peoria last year to spectate and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable or cohesive an experience (though Northwoods is a fantastic course).

And that "golf course" in Utah for three of five rounds just isn't appealing.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 483 Times in 218 Posts

This is an interesting discussion from a fan's perspective.

I'd like to know what other event organizers are doing in this environment... There are obviously reports that assume life returns to normal in 30-60 days, and others reporting 12-18 months.

The events that are already on the PDGA schedule this year have been planned. So, I'm curious about the financials and logistics. I realize the PDGA has offered amended withdraw/refund policies, but that doesn't account for (a majority) of sponsorship...

I'm sure facilitators are trying to stay positive so the work they've already invested isn't wasted. But, it also seems like a waste to put any more effort into planning if the whole season will be canceled...

Anyone organizers care to share their thoughts from the helm?
Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 150
Niced 479 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
And that "golf course" in Utah for three of five rounds just isn't appealing.
Two of five.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 213 Times in 69 Posts

Sorry, I thought they were playing the horrible ball golf course (I think Mulligan's?) three times.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
And/or until 60-80% of the population has had and recovered from the virus. Every timeline I've seen says it's going to be 12-18 months before that happens and I don't see the PDGA resuming sanctioning until then. I've concluded that there will be no sanctioned disc golf this year. Those who disagree are engaged in wishful thinking and will be disappointed.
Unfortunately I agree, they will follow suit of the pro sport groups, which are concerned with financial liability. The 12-18 months timeline might seem long, but everything I've read has that including the probability of a 2nd wave as people become relaxed too soon. I think we're going to see a vaccine much earlier than expected, with the FDA relaxing protocols, etc.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,509 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post

I'd like to know what other event organizers are doing in this environment... There are obviously reports that assume life returns to normal in 30-60 days, and others reporting 12-18 months.

The events that are already on the PDGA schedule this year have been planned. So, I'm curious about the financials and logistics. I realize the PDGA has offered amended withdraw/refund policies, but that doesn't account for (a majority) of sponsorship...

I'm sure facilitators are trying to stay positive so the work they've already invested isn't wasted. But, it also seems like a waste to put any more effort into planning if the whole season will be canceled...

I was intimately involved in running a Major last year (USWDGC) and had an important non-PDGA event occuring in late June of this year (introducing dg as a sport at the Paralyzed Veteran's Wheelchair Games). I also ran one of the last events to actually occur around here this Spring (VTI). Every one of them was different.

VTI was the weekend when the forecasts on Coronavirus went from bad to much worse. The predictions changed a whole lot in the course of the week. Had the predictions on Monday or Tuesday been what they were by Friday night i would have cancelled it. As it was most of the players had already travelled and I made the call to go ahead with it- we did forego serving food and most players were good about social distancing which had literally just become a thing at that point. I have no regrets about making the decision I did with the information available at the time.

Wheelchair Games was scheduled to occur in early July and was cancelled this past week. Those of us involved in running that have been expecting cancellation for a while now and I think the best term for our feelings on it would be "relieved'. While we had not stopped preparation entirely we had definitely already ramped things way down in terms of fundraising, etc. The money we have raised for it thus far will now be used to introduce dg to the Games in 2021.

USWDGC 2020 had been moved way earlier in the year and has been cancelled already. Last year it was in September. Our preparations for that could pretty much be divided into 2 categories- fundraising and signing up volunteers and making lots of lists of tasks was over a much longer haul than the vast majority of the physical prep work which occured in basically a one month span leading up to the event. Were we set to run that event this year I think at this point we would continue with the long term prep stuff- you would not be able to make up the ground if you lost it. (This would be in spite of the fact that i will be surprised if we are playing dg events again in 2020). By the time the real physical prep crunch arrived we would already know whether or not things were going to occur and could act accordingly. The risks in this would be wasting some of our own time and potentially alienating a sponsor or two. Wasting time would simply have to be written off as "it is what it is" and most sponsors are doing so more out of general benevolent feeling for either disc golf in general or the entity running the event rather than a demand for immediate return on their investment. My feeling is they would be understanding of the fact that we are now in a unique position which is new to everyone involved.

I would also have had another 3-4 PDGA events taking registration at this point had the virus not happened. If we wind up opening back up for business there will be some decisions to be made there. The most important thing imo is for TD's to be forthcoming with people and for players to have some patience with TD's thrust into a new situation.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 140
Niced 483 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
great stuff...
We are in a similar boat. Our back to back B-Tiers were supposed to be 3/21-22, but we postponed until September. Luckily, we were able to work with our state coordinator to secure another date immediately, so we could keep most people registered.

Our big A-Tiers is in Mid-June this year, and I am anxious about our ability to move forward as planned. At this point, it doesn't looks good... I'm guessing we have to make a final decision in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,334 Times in 745 Posts

Probably best to assume that 2020 has been canceled. We'll try again in 2021.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 PM

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 226
Niced 112 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I would also have had another 3-4 PDGA events taking registration at this point had the virus not happened. If we wind up opening back up for business there will be some decisions to be made there. The most important thing imo is for TD's to be forthcoming with people and for players to have some patience with TD's thrust into a new situation.
I'm co-TDing the Women's Open of Maryland Edition Number 4 as a women's-only pro-A/am-B tier in late October. I have already delayed registration opening twice and will probably delay at least once more until there's some clarity on national health status and PDGA guidance--my thinking being that even if registration is open, few players are going to commit to an event 6 months away when we don't know what next week looks like.

My view of planning is that there's long-term goals (fund-raising, sponsors, getting players to register, general course maintenance), near-event goals (layout, printing, ordering player packs, confirming volunters) and day-of goals (doin' the dang thing). After 3 years of running the event I'm pretty comfortable except for the sponsorship uncertainty. My biggest concerns at this point are whether the tournament will happen as scheduled and whether we'll be able to fund-raise enough for all the amenities (added cash, player packs, lunch 2 days for everyone, video coverage) if there's a widespread and long-term economic downturn. That could potentially be a lot of players and companies without steady income who would be willing to donate or buy fund-raising items.

[Sidebar to that statement, I wouldn't be surprised if there were MANY fewer tournaments with lots of added cash in 2021, and that's a big "yeah-so?" compared to the proximate cause]

As of now, still planning to run the event, but it may mean that we cut a few things (food, videography, reduce entry fees and player packs to bare minimum) and/or I take a personal loss to cover some things that we (TDs) would expect from someone running an event of the same tier. If we can't run the event at all I'll pour one out for the lost season and hope we can schedule it for next fall.

Biscoe and others in this region can attest that the spring and fall are really busy in the mid-Atlantic, especially during and after the tour swings through the east coast. Even if we do get the go-ahead in, say, August, there's gonna be a lot of rescheduled events that step on toes.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 672 Times in 288 Posts

Has anyone looked into the forgivable loans being offered with the stimulus package just passed by congress? TDs and vendors losing money on cancelled tournaments because of the pandemic could possibly get some relief. Might be worth checking out.