Old 04-03-2020, 04:00 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Fairway Width

We are building a course on my parents' land. It's mostly wooded, flat, around 10 acres. We've been roughing in the woods holes and I was curious how wide yall like to cut your fairways. We've been going about 8-10 feet wide, with some tighter spots. Is that a decent width?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 164 Times in 117 Posts

Just my two cents but if every fairway is 8-10 or tighter that's pretty punishing. I like a variety of fairway widths, some 15, some twenty, some 10, etc. You could also use low ceilings to mix it up. A 20 foot wide fairway with a low ceiling can still be challenging. It also depends on distance of the holes. If I am trying to throw 300 feet, pretty much my max distance, then a generous fairway is appreciated but I am pretty confident that I can park a putter on a 200 foot hole that's 15 feet wide. If it's 10 feet, not so much. 8 feet should be a gap to hit or a mando or something, not an entire fairway. Also, think of the line. I can hit a hyzer line or straight line with much more accuracy and confidence than I can a anhyzer/forehand line, so maybe widen the fairways on anny holes, tighten them on hyzer holes. I am certain that better disc golfers than me might feel differently and would want it as tight as you can make it. I am a pretty fair rec player, primarily due to my accuracy and putting not driving distance and I feel like what I just outlined describes a lot of courses in my area of NC. I'm sooo envious that you have some land to put a course on. Good luck with it!!

Niced: (1)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 113 Posts

I like my fairways somewhere in the 100-200 foot width. Mostly because that’s what I’m used to.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

We're all pretty terrible players, but enjoy building stuff. Once we get a governor housing for the tractor it's really on.

One odd dynamic is that half the family is left handed, so I've been careful to not favor shapes that are comfortable for me, a righty.

We don't have any hole longer than 250 yet and I've been able to par most of them even with our narrow fairways. I'd like them a little wider, but we've been holding off cutting any of the bigger trees until we're pleased with a route.

We've got to clear two more fairways and we'll have our prototype front 9. Once this COVID mess is done, we're getting the land surveyed so we can get into the back part of the property and know what we're working with.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:06 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,512 Times in 1,608 Posts

IMHO: A variety of widths would be optimal. Deciding how wide "the fairways" should be up front is likely to make things feel repetitive.

A few 8 to 10 foot fairways is fine, especially if you can find a way to make one for a hyzer line, one for an Annie or FH line, and one a straight low ceiling shot.

Keep in mind that hole length plays a big part in how tight a fairway "feels." Short, tight, shot-shaping holes are considered fun by many players, and many courses that feature them are rated pretty highly on DGCR.

I recommend avoiding tight fairways on too many of the longer holes. A few long, tight fairways is fine. You want some holes where scoring par isn't a foregone conclusion, and a par feels like an accomplishment. But too many long tight fairways begins to feel more like a beat down, and can kill some of the fun factor.

I also recommend looking for any naturally occurring paths and clearings where things seem a bit more open (i.e. fairways that basically present themselves to you). They look more natural and will probably be easier to maintain.

Ultimately, the property itself will dictate what you can do, and much of the course's personality. But I strongly urge you to avoid using the same concept on the majority of holes.

Also, to live with a hole for a couple of months worth of play, BEFORE you decide to cut any trees down.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Par Member

Niced 206 Times in 73 Posts

Just make em as wide as they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 995 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterbug View Post
We are building a course on my parents' land. It's mostly wooded, flat, around 10 acres. We've been roughing in the woods holes and I was curious how wide yall like to cut your fairways. We've been going about 8-10 feet wide, with some tighter spots. Is that a decent width?
Like others have said yes that is punishing, however it is not the best to have all at one width, make the short holes tighter with longer woods holes more width. Feel it out, if a spot is basically saying put the hole in that spot then do it. But if all you have a scrub trees with bushes and not doing anything will have a wall of stuff type throw or a almost no gap only top power players can throw though then you need to clear out underbrush paths.

This is the lowest basket I recommend for full time outdoor use or you will have a basket that becomes rusty over time due to paint peel and/or needing to either replace rusty chains or the like. Vary easy to add good Galvanized chains to the second row, lots do that later to private/home courses when they want to upgrade or cities/towns will do this to the baskets to have them for public course https://gottagogottathrow.com/collec...sc-golf-basket

Last edited by Casey 1988; 04-03-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:04 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Like others have said yes that is punishing, however it is not the best to have all at one width, make the short holes tighter with longer woods holes more width. Feel it out, if a spot is basically saying put the hole in that spot then do it. But if all you have a scrub trees with bushes and not doing anything will have a wall of stuff type throw or a almost no gap only top power players can throw though then you need to clear out underbrush paths.

This is the lowest basket I recommend for full time outdoor use or you will have a basket that becomes rusty over time due to paint peel and/or needing to either replace rusty chains or the like. Vary easy to add good Galvanized chains to the second row, lots do that later to private/home courses when they want to upgrade or cities/towns will do this to the baskets to have them for public course https://gottagogottathrow.com/collec...sc-golf-basket
We've had to remove some stuff like you mentioned. This land was logged 40 years ago, it's got mature trees but also a lot of scrubby stuff and holly trees. Our other goal is combined use of the fairways as golf cart trails for my Mom to cruise the grandkids around on.

We're using a mix of Black Hole Light baskets and tone poles made of recycled unistrut and empty refrigerant drums. We move the baskets with the golf cart and put them away in the garage when we're done. I love those DB5 baskets, one of our local courses uses them. That's what we'll likely go with if we go permanent.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 146
Niced 503 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterbug View Post
....Our other goal is combined use of the fairways as golf cart trails for my Mom to cruise the grandkids around on.
As far as having a course on our property, this might be the biggest perk. My family and I go out for walks/hikes darn near every day, sometimes more than once. (Especially with the current "stay at home" orders.) As my kids are getting older they're starting to take discs as we walk to throw at the different baskets.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 196 Times in 106 Posts

Yes, width 'variety' is more interesting, however width, tee through green is also important, certainly as holes get longer.

Or, how might 'situational' width of a hole accentuate the play/strategic value of the hole overall? Common examples would be 'gates' or 'pinch points'.

The width factor, in holes overall, and strategically is an often overlooked factor in developing a course's 'character', assuming of course that one wishes a work of Art - not a McDonald's hamburger...whatever.